25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Biodiesel Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I'm impressed with the number of people who make and use there own bio (24) but there are a bunch that want to start making there own. What about it guys......Let's see if we can help these people get started! Anyone that voted to start making bio should start threads to gather as much info as you can. I'm sure that all us that do will help YOU get started!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM
deereman4020
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want to make my own bio and run it in my truck and we do use a blend of bio 5% for our tractors
heres something i found in news at the johndeere home page
29 Jul 08 - A recent nationwide survey conducted by the United Soybean Board (USB) and soybean checkoff revealed that U.S. consumers strongly back U.S. soybean farmers and biodiesel.

The "National Agriculture Image Survey" indicated 82 percent of consumers agree foreign oil-producing countries and the high cost of fuel impacting farming and processing, packaging, storing and shipping food are to blame for food price increases, not U.S. farmers.
Other key findings show:

- 77 percent of consumers favor the use of biodiesel as a source of energy that can meet our needs in the next 5 to 10 years.

- 74 percent of consumers were more favorable toward biodiesel after hearing it benefits the environment.

- 70 percent of consumers were more favorable toward biodiesel after hearing it's a new green industry that creates jobs.

Last edited by deereman4020; 07-29-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: to post my findings found at the John Deere Home Page
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Sheepman
New User
Thanks for the info. I experience a couple of months of temps 10 F below zero here in New England. I have seen some data about a product named Wintron(?) and am going to run some tests similar to yours. I will post the results later this summer. Thanks again.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job on the tests h2odrx. That's good stuff right there. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
h2odrx
Junior User
Originally Posted by juneau76
Nice job on the tests h2odrx. That's good stuff right there. Thanks.
Thanks but those were done by someone else. Don at Piedmont Biofuels, I just wanted to share!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:18 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
I make bio, run SVO, and run blends, depending on weather, time, and what vehicle its going in. I seem to be doing good so far with WVO/Kerosene blend.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Well, I'm impressed with the number of people who make and use there own bio (24) but there are a bunch that want to start making there own. What about it guys......Let's see if we can help these people get started! Anyone that voted to start making bio should start threads to gather as much info as you can. I'm sure that all us that do will help YOU get started!
I'm a blender right now, but I would dearly LOVE to start making bio. I even have a buddy who is all set up and cookin' about 70 miles away.

Only one obstacle. OIL. I can't seem to get any. I've even gone so far as to make flyers and distribute them to a few dozen local restaurants offering a buck a gallon for WVO!.

NO TAKERS. Looks like the renderers have all the oil locked up tight in my area. Now if there is some way you could help me out with that, then I'd REALLY be grateful!

BTW, what I'm blending is SVO that I paid almost $3 a gallon for. I could convert that into bio, but by the time I did, the cost would be equal to commercial bio (I can get bio in bulk for $4.25 a gallon right now). and I would have put all the time & effort into producing it and dealing with glycerol disposal, etc. Since the SVO doesn't require anything but mixing 15%-20% with RUG, and then adding the blend to my tank 50/50 with regular #2, it doesn't make sense to make bio out of it - that would actually cost me more money AND the extra time & effort...

Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
ms1780
Mountain Pass
I use straight veggie oil in my 97 psd crew cab. My truck loves the stuff. I had a friend who put a kit on a 83 mercedes and took a lot of crap, for me include. After a few month of his savings, I couldn't resist. I ordered a kit and installed it myself. I have added a hundred gallon farm tank to replace the 40gal. tank that came with the kit. On average i get about 70 to 80mpg on the diesel I do burn in the summer and about 50 in the winter. It takes longer for the truck to warm up in the winter and I let it get a little warmer also. I put a TW chip in this summer with a high idle setting so I can warm it up in the driveway this winter. Our oil had been getting stollen all summer this year and we took a 300 gal. farm fuel tank and cut it in half. then we stood it up on end and welde a heavy top with a lockable hole for entry. I can post some pics if someone would like to see them. I love the wvo over the biodiesel. It is much easier and saves me a ton.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM
CarinaR
New User
I'm pretty new to biofuels. I just bought a 1985 E350 with a 6.9L and C6 auto trans. I have 2 fuel tanks, so have been running a diesel/WVO mix in one and warming up/shutting down on diesel. I am planning to make some modifications so I can just run straight WVO, but I am still in the learning process. Since it's nice and warm in NOLA, I can run pure WVO with no mods in the summer.
Oil is pretty easy to find...no one has really caught on down here in the backwards south, and they are always looking to make a buck, so are happy to fill a barrel for me.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
TechEdFireman
New User
I started making my own Bio last March, made about 300 gallons. Stopped making it when school started back up in September. I have about 400 gallons of oil waiting to be made. The building I make it in is not heated so it's not feasible to make it when the temp. starts to drop. My '05 lost a little power, but for about a $1 a gallon not including the time collecting, filtering, seperating its nothing to complain about. My students think its pretty neat that my truck smells like fries. All my glycerin is/will be made into soap. I have made a few batches and it will take anything out of clothes and clean just about anything around the house and garage.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE, and our little biodiesel community.
Always good to have another biodieseler here!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hopefully tomorrow mine will change to making and using!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Tom D
Elder User
I better count myself in as a "maker and user" of bio diesel. With the kind help of Fabman, I have produced 455 gal of beautiful bio diesel. I run 100% year round and my "trusty steed" loves it. Can't get over how clean the lube oil in the crankcase stays. I get all my waste oil from the same restaurant and have discontinued titrating. I just use Don's tried and proven recipe and end up with the same beautiful product. Don has patiently instructed me on how to reclaim my Methanol but I still have not been sucessful. That's fine. I produce great BD and the Methanol is gone from the finished product (don't know where the hell it goes). With the prices of #2 down to $2.45 I don't have the same enthusiasm as I once had but it is still great to keep from buying imported dino and keeping the air a little cleaner. Thankyou Don

Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Fett Affen
Freshman User
Poll

I am new to the forum and don't know where the poll is located. I am also new to bio-d and have spent the last 6 months reading and reading and reading. Took two months on weekends and some late nights building my processor. I have made 3-40 gallon batches, all passed the methanol test. The main tank is a 110 gallon cone bottom poly tank with a 30 gallon methanol mixing tank, I have a 55 gallon insulated drum to heat and drywash with Purolite PD206. My friend and I are doing this and splitting the cost of the system. I looked into a commercial system and put my system together for one half the cost. A lot of work but I like building and fabricating stuff. I have a 2004 F-250 6.0 and my friend has a 2006 C4500 Kodiak with a 6.6 Duramax.
I never thought that I would be making my own fuel when I bought my truck.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Fett Affen
Freshman User
Poll

Duh! I found the poll

Quick Reply: Biodiesel Roll Call