25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Biodiesel Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 PM
rooster 07 F250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few local restaurants that currently have the waste oil picked up and they have expressed that they would give it to me, but I have not nailed down these options completely. We r talking about 25-30 gals. per wk max.
I really appreciate the insight and advice.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rooster 07 F250
I have a few local restaurants that currently have the waste oil picked up and they have expressed that they would give it to me, but I have not nailed down these options completely. We r talking about 25-30 gals. per wk max.
I really appreciate the insight and advice.
Lock it up quick, preferably with something in writing. Good oil sources are very hard to come by these days, and the business is cutthroat.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:03 PM
rooster 07 F250
New User
Good advice thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM
BoxedDuk
New User
I just recently purchased an E-450 box truck that "i want to convert" to run on svo so my vote would be for "svo"

Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
zedd77
New User
Smile veggie oil

I do a mix of used veggie oil/diesel/gasoline/and injector cleaner. I have been using the mixture for over 100,000 miles. I have a '95 F 250 w/7.3 in it. It now has 310,000 + miles on it. I actually get more power and better mileage when I run it. If you want to quiet your engine a little - feed it a quart of new veggie oil in the tank. I cannot recommend this in a 6.0 however. I have one of those too. But I was cautioned against using it. I was told a 10% mixture would be OK but I think the 6.0's are too touchy.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
I have been running motor oil blended with old stale boat gas when I find it.
I actually mix everything together that happens to be a petroleum product.
Atf, Hydraulic oil, engine oil, diesel oil, gear oil, transformer oil.
I mix in 5 gallons of RUG to 50 gallons WMO and filter it all through a mess of filters and a 10GPM filter cart for final pass. I always add fuel additive around 16 ounces per 55g drum
Down to 10 microns.

Have over 20,000 miles on it runs just fine, no smoke out the tailpipe.

Javier

Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 AM
TheCurtster
Senior User
Noob help?

Hi gang,

Doing my homework... Trying to decide if I ought to buy a bio processor from a guy I met. Other than the reliable source of oil, it looks like I'll need a supply of methanol too.
Does anyone have a good source in the Southern California area? Preferably LA or Ventura counties... Heck, preferably next door, but maybe that's asking a bit much. With shipping, I've been quoted $425 for a 55 gallon barrel, and that starts to make the whole thing unattractive.

Thanks!
Curt

Old 12-12-2014, 11:18 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCurtster
Hi gang,

Doing my homework... Trying to decide if I ought to buy a bio processor from a guy I met. Other than the reliable source of oil, it looks like I'll need a supply of methanol too.
Does anyone have a good source in the Southern California area? Preferably LA or Ventura counties... Heck, preferably next door, but maybe that's asking a bit much. With shipping, I've been quoted $425 for a 55 gallon barrel, and that starts to make the whole thing unattractive.

Thanks!
Curt
Finding methanol should be the easy part. If pricing is anywhere close to what I pay here, expect around $200 for a drum. A quick google search found Los Angeles California Chemical Distributor - Wholesale Bulk Fine Chemical Supplier - Westco Chemicals Inc in north hollywood, but I'm sure there are others there in that area. Personally, I don't think you should underestimate the ease of finding WVO. You wouldn't want to invest your time, money, and space with everything else to find you can't obtain feedstock. Procuring, setting up, collecting, and pre-treating WVO is actually the most labor intensive and time consuming part of the process of making biodiesel. I would see if you can set up your WVO accounts first, before making the commitment. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Fett Affen
Freshman User
methanol source

I live in the Inland Empire and I get my methanol from Merit Oil. Last I paid was about $250.00 plus the drum charge. You are also going to need a source for KOH. That is what I have been using for the last 3 years since I have been making it. What kind of price were you quoted on that?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM
TheCurtster
Senior User
Here's a source for NaOH:
$105 for 50 lbs, shipped

50 lb Pail of Sodium Hydroxide [50drhdl] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

Not sure if that's crazy or not. 50 lbs oughtta make quite a bit of product.

They also sell KOH:

45 lb Pail of Potassium Hydroxide [45drhdp] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

A little more, but I hear that KOH is a better way to go.

Not ready to jump in just yet, as I still have not secured my oil source. Lots of small restaurants around though. Hopefully something will work out.

Thanks for the info,

Curt

Old 12-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Get my Methanol from the local guy who supplies parts for dirt track racing. Runs about 23 bucks for 5 gallons. I use KOH myself which I buy in 25 kg bags off the Internet. I repackage it into gallon zip lock bags to make it easier to use and measure. Tried NaOH once. Glycerin is thicker and harder to work with.

Another thing to consider is how you are going to dispose of the glycerol...

Old 12-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheCurtster
Hi gang,

Thanks!
Curt

Curt
I get my methanol from a team of race car drivers who use it for their fuel. I pay $200 a barrel. I get my KOH from Duda Diesel. Last batch was $107 plus $22.81 shipping. Been making bio for about 6 1/2 years now thanks to Fabman and others on the net. Don't be afraid to offer the restaurant a little bit for their oil. I started free but had to pay .50 a gallon to compete with the collection company. Still a good bargain. Ends up costing me $1.25 a gallon to produce. (I don't capture the methanol) Good luck.

Tom D.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 PM
TheCurtster
Senior User
Best price on the methanol (so. Cal) so far is $300 OTD for 55 gallons, plus a $25 barrel deposit. Makes the cost per gallon worthwhile I think. Still trying to nail down the oil supply. I like the idea of paying 50 cents a gallon, if I can get it in the jugs. The oil dumps are friggin nasty.

Curt

Old 12-13-2014, 09:17 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Something you might want to keep in mind as you're planning WVO accounts is that every restaurant handles their used oil differently. Some dump it directly into a vessel that you provide, i.e. 55 gallon drum, or metal dumpster, which you will need to either lift and replace, or pump out regularly. Some will dump the cooled oil back into the cubies they came in so you can easily come by and just pick them up.

Additionally, some will dump their oil with all the cleaning water and chunks along with it. Whichever method each restaurant employs, you need to be prepared to deal with whatever it is they give you. That means a system to course filter and de-water the WVO. It is also important to keep the area where this exchange is occurring, clean, neat, and tidy. Restaurants want hassle free service. That is likely the primary reason most restaurants will go with a large rendering company because they're equipped to do so. And, in most cases, it's not about the money because the tiny sum they're paid for the used oil doesn't amount to much.

I've found many restaurants would rather give the oil to a local individual than to a large company, as long as they can be assured everything I've already stated. Ask me how I know. In the 7 or so years I've been brewing biodiesel, I've never had to pay for WVO. It's about developing a relationship, making a personal connection, and taking care of business. I've taken away accounts from both large companies, and individuals like ourselves, who couldn't hold up their end of the deal. They either made a huge mess, or couldn't pick up the WVO when the restaurant needed it picked up. Once you establish yourself with a reputation for being professional, on time, clean, and hassle free, finding used oil will not be an issue. It's a commitment, but once you get your ducks in a row, it's an easy, worthwhile hobby.

Quick Reply: Biodiesel Roll Call