25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Biodiesel Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
off topic but I always though the receipe for Carp was bake it in the oven for 1 hr at 350 on a piece of cardboard, remove Carp, and eat the Cardboard...

Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love to make biodiesel. I just cant seem to get any wvo to get going. seems like everyone wants to sell it or simply wont part with it period. buying it at the pump is almost just as hard. the closest place that sells bio only sells B-5 or sometimes they have B-20. but its 15 minute drive and forget about it anywhere in the vicinity of detroit. not sure why but it is hard to get around here. its worth the trip even for B-5 though. had to remove and clean out the fuel filter bowl after a few tanks of even the B-5. its a good fuel system cleaner. wish it was easier to get.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
rpmfest
Freshman User
I was doing the veggie oild thing for my VW but it just got to be too much work

Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ken_C
Would love to make biodiesel. I just cant seem to get any wvo to get going. seems like everyone wants to sell it or simply wont part with it period. buying it at the pump is almost just as hard. the closest place that sells bio only sells B-5 or sometimes they have B-20. but its 15 minute drive and forget about it anywhere in the vicinity of detroit. not sure why but it is hard to get around here. its worth the trip even for B-5 though. had to remove and clean out the fuel filter bowl after a few tanks of even the B-5. its a good fuel system cleaner. wish it was easier to get.
Check with schools? Also keep an Eye out for new food places opening up... get there first.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 AM
z scpaes
Junior User
I'm somewhere around 450-500 gallons of WVO collected right now and waiting for warmer weather to start my blending. How many here blending with RUG? how many blending 50/50 with #2?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
I used to make Bio back in 2000/2002 but quit and went with SVO. Never regreted a thing. I think everybody that is thinking of going either Bio or SVO should start with BIO and decide themselves. Running a Ford F250 6.9 n/a Diesel right now.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 AM
CHELLIE
Senior User
At work, we were using Bio Diesel in big rigs, Cat and Cummins engines, and we had all kinds of problems with it, mostly, clogged fuel filters, the bio diesel uses KOH, LYE
90+% Pure Potassium Hydroxide (koh) and Sulfuric Acid, the lye and sulfuric acid really cleans the fuel system out and puts all the Crapola into the fuel filters, I hate to think what the Lye and sulfuric Acid is doing to the Injectors and Fuel pump, we did not use it for very long, Just a Heads up when using Bio Diesel, Take Care, Chellie

(Concentrated Sulfuric Acid)
(May be used for many different manufacturing processes, removing FFAs from dirty vegetable oil before producing bio-diesel, and lab experiments.)

45 # Potassium Hydroxide Red Hot Devil Potash Biodiesel - eBay (item 260418423897 end time Jul-21-10 16:24:08 PDT)

Concentrated Sulfuric Acid for Biodiesel 950 ml - eBay (item 230408290194 end time Aug-02-10 09:15:24 PDT)

Old 07-04-2010, 02:00 AM
CHELLIE
Senior User
I think it would be safer to use Waste oil, and filter it very well, remember those Frantz toilet paper filters, those work great, i saw a demo at a fair with those filters, and dirty oil was added to clean oil that was circulating in a clear container and to a toilet paper filter, the oil got dirty, and then in about 5 mins, it was amber clear again, Wow, thats clean

http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html

VINTAGE HOT RAT ROD FRANTZ TOILET PAPER OIL FILTER : eBay Motors (item 200490175514 end time Jul-07-10 22:08:10 PDT)

Old 07-04-2010, 02:19 AM
CHELLIE
Senior User
WOW, Look what I found, this is nice because you dont have to use LYE or Sulfuric acid to clean the veggie oil. Gravity does the cleaning work for you. This is how I would make bio diesel

YouTube - Waste Vegetable Oil Filter How-To

Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CHELLIE
At work, we were using Bio Diesel in big rigs, Cat and Cummins engines, and we had all kinds of problems with it, mostly, clogged fuel filters, the bio diesel uses KOH, LYE
90+% Pure Potassium Hydroxide (koh) and Sulfuric Acid, the lye and sulfuric acid really cleans the fuel system out and puts all the Crapola into the fuel filters, I hate to think what the Lye and sulfuric Acid is doing to the Injectors and Fuel pump, we did not use it for very long, Just a Heads up when using Bio Diesel, Take Care, Chellie
Total and complete misinformation! There is NO Lye or Sulfuric acid in well made biodiesel. Will it clean all the crap out of the fuel system? You bet!

Will it harm the IP or the injectors? If it meets ASTM specs, never!

I've made almost 15,000 gallons of QUALITY biodiesel in the last 6 years with not one fuel related problem. We run our whole farm on biodiesel and have for the last 6 years!

WOW, Look what I found, this is nice because you dont have to use LYE or Sulfuric acid to clean the veggie oil. Gravity does the cleaning work for you. This is how I would make bio diesel
Sorry, this is NOT BIODIESEL! It is simply one way to filter WVO.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Total and complete misinformation! There is NO Lye or Sulfuric acid in well made biodiesel. Will it clean all the crap out of the fuel system? You bet!
Isn't that why we have fuel filters? To catch the crap before it gets to the pump/injectors? Yeah, on the 6.0L & 6.4L they're expensive...but they're allot cheaper than a single injector. I've run B20 quite a bit and never had a problem out of my truck. I'd run it right now but (A) there is only one place in town that sells it and (B) I'm not going to pay an extra 20 cents a gallon for it. The lady that owns the station is rude and thinks that everyone that comes in there is stupid when it comes to B20. I keep telling myself I'm going to call the folks that supply her fuel and find out if I can buy straight from them...but other things side track me.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM
CHELLIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux

Will it harm the IP or the injectors? If it meets ASTM specs, never!

I've made almost 15,000 gallons of QUALITY biodiesel in the last 6 years with not one fuel related problem. We run our whole farm on biodiesel and have for the last 6 years!

Sorry, this is NOT BIODIESEL! It is simply one way to filter WVO.
It all depends who your supplier is We had nothing but trouble with Bio Diesel, had to call the fuel supplier many times to figure out what is wrong with the fuel, You dont Know fabmandelux, You were not There

Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM
CHELLIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Isn't that why we have fuel filters? To catch the crap before it gets to the pump/injectors? Yeah, on the 6.0L & 6.4L they're expensive...but they're allot cheaper than a single injector. I've run B20 quite a bit and never had a problem out of my truck. I'd run it right now but (A) there is only one place in town that sells it and (B) I'm not going to pay an extra 20 cents a gallon for it. The lady that owns the station is rude and thinks that everyone that comes in there is stupid when it comes to B20. I keep telling myself I'm going to call the folks that supply her fuel and find out if I can buy straight from them...but other things side track me.
sulfuric acid and lye diluted will go right through a filter in a liquid state.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:02 PM
CHELLIE
Senior User
Sorry, this is NOT BIODIESEL! It is simply one way to filter WVO

correct, its a way to clean the veg oil, before use.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:26 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It all depends who your supplier is We had nothing but trouble with Bio Diesel, had to call the fuel supplier many times to figure out what is wrong with the fuel, You dont Know fabmandelux, You were not There
Don't ahve to be there, you got information from either A. a supplier of the conversion kits for running WVO or someone that doesn't have a clue whatsoever about what they are talking about.

Do you know what the PH level of Biodiesel is?

Do you have a clue that it's not bio-diesel if it still has KOH or lye still in it?

What you had was what happens when you introduce a cleaning agent into dirty fuel systems IT CLEANS IT OUT. You then were given bad information from someone that doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

When I switched ot bio I had to change my fuel filter twice in 3000 miles since then I cahnge it once a year just because. My fuel system is now clean. I have been running 100% bio-diesel during warmer months for 5yrs now and have not had a single fuel related problem with my truck since. only actualy problems with my truck just os you know I am not hiding problems calling it non fuel related are, replaced ball joints, new brakes, replaced a brake caliper, new tires, lock out hub came apart, and an axle ujoint.

If you have are using bio-diesel that still has lye or KOH or sulfuric acid in it you have a supplier that is A. ripping you off by not actually doing a good job B. doesn't know what they are doing C. doesn't like you and is trying to destroy your equipment. Properly made bio-diesel is non toxic meaning you could drink it. Tastes terrible etc but it won't hurt you. anything else isn't made right. (I don't use any sulfuric acid, that is for doing 2 stage stuff like making it out of animal fats)

Quick Reply: Biodiesel Roll Call