Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

View Poll Results: Alternative Diesel Fuel Usage
I make and use Biodiesel 56 20.14%
I would like to make biodiesel 128 46.04%
I use straight veggie oil 40 14.39%
I use Waste motor oil 21 7.55%
I use a blend 33 11.87%
I purchase retail biodiesel 69 24.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
What's your cost running, or have you figured that? Our 1st, batch run about $2.10 / gallon, but the next will be cheaper due to reusing methanol, buying supplies in larger lots, reintroducing glycerine ect. can't wait til it warms up enough to use 100%.

By the way welcome to the club...
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM
New User

TechEdFireman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the program from Utah Biodiesel Supply that you enter in all your variables and according to that I am making my fuel (not including my time) for about .85-.95 a gallon. Mind you I last bought Methanol for $4.20ish/gallon still have 2 barrels. I have about 40-50 of NaOH. As you can see I buy things in bulk saves some money.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Freshman User

Fett Affen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Methanol in So.Cal is $6.00 per gal and that is the cheapest I can find it. KOH is $1.25 lb. and 90% purity. I calculate the cost per gallon of bio is $1.25 gallon not including the cost to heat the oil as I have not gotten my elec. bill yet. I get my oil for free and it titrates at 1.5, chicken and french fries is all that goes into it. I am now processing using the 2 stage base/base method and having good luck with that and am working on fine tuning the recepie. I use the calculator at Extreme Biodiesel, I will check out the one at Utah.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
$5.05 per gallon here. that's adding $1 per gallon for the 5 gallon pail. refills them for $4.05. I need to refigure my costs, think I entered wrong numbers. Refigured @ $2.05 / gallon. Future batches will be much cheaper.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
New User

crazy-tim is starting off with a positive reputation.
hi there friends from across the "pond".... i have an econoline 350 van 7.3 ltr diesel 1989... it has twin tanks... and she loves veggie oil ( straight)... it's a bit hard to start in the cold but once she's warm she loves it. In the winter i use 100% diesel in one tank .. for starting and stopping and 20-50% veggie oil in the other tank for when the engine has warmed up !.. in the summer it's 100% veggie all the way !!.. i get 18.5 mpg on diesel ( on a run ) and 22mpg on the veggie ( on a run ) .. only started using it last year.. when the price of diesel topped £1.40 ( that's a ltr.. not a gallon )!!!... so far done about 6000 miles.. with no problems !!.. when i started veggie oil was 0.85 a ltr.. the shops soon grew aware of what people were using it for and the price soon went up to £1.15 a ltr !!... with diesel at the pumps now at £0.99 a ltr. i have gone back to the pumps....
Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 AM
New User

geoman2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How long can you store WVO before converting it to fuel.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoman2008 View Post
How long can you store WVO before converting it to fuel.
If you de-water it and keep oxygen away from it you can store it for long periods. I've got samples from 3-4 years ago that have not degraded yet.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
If you de-water it and keep oxygen away from it you can store it for long periods. I've got samples from 3-4 years ago that have not degraded yet.
That's great news!!! I've been collecting it in 55 gallon drums for about a year now. What should I look for to tell if it did spoil?

I'll post a picture of my Bio Prosser later.

Pat
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
The smell! If it goes bad it will smell nasty........

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
New User

Quote:
The smell! If it goes bad it will smell nasty........
Thanks again!
Did you build or buy your Bio Unit and how much do you brew at one time?

Pat
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM

I built my own system, and I made over 10,000 gallons last year

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM
New User

Daaaaaaang 10,000 gallons!!!! Great work man. It's 20 dergees and snowing here in Kutztown, PA so I'm not to sure that WVO would work to well today. However I was thinking one could mix a 50/50 blend WVO/Diesel and be ok. Any thoughts?

Pat
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM

Blending WVO and dino-diesel is not good for any engine. Either make bio, or use a 2 tank HEATED WVO system. If you go with a 2 tank system you must start on diesel, then when the WVO tank is up to temp you can switch over. After running on HEATED WVO you must switch over to diesel to purge the IP, and injectors.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 AM
New User

Wow... glad I asked. It just seemed logical to be able to blend the two being that the diesel will run on either WVO or dino diesel. I only have a single tank so I guess cold weather WVO is out of the question until things warm up again.

Pat

Quote:
Blending WVO and dino-diesel is not good for any engine. Either make bio, or use a 2 tank HEATED WVO system. If you go with a 2 tank system you must start on diesel, then when the WVO tank is up to temp you can switch over. After running on HEATED WVO you must switch over to diesel to purge the IP, and injectors.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 AM

You should NEVER use unheated WVO in any weather!

If you want to use WVO it must be heated to at least 160 deg.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 AM