1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

S10 Frame for 51 f-1

Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
oldiron73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S10 Frame for 51 f-1

I heard guys using a S-10 frame for there F-1 ford trucks. What years should I look for or any older S-10 frame work. Does it have to be extended cab frame.
Thanks Mark.......

Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Here we go again! Every time some one posts about a frame swap there's a lot of heat but the last time I noticed there wasn't too much, I think the stark opposers to the idea are getting tired. I don't really have much of an oppinion about the subject.

Anyways, there is one guy on the Bonus Built site that has his F-1 mounted on a S-10 frame. He goes by the name Lakota and has a web site, http://www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1. You can check with him to see what he has done. I can't remember if anyone on this site has done but you can try using the search option and see if you can find one.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if he's the same fella from ol skool that sent me the details and blueprints once about it . i was curious and he was real cool about giving up the info and so forth . no i wasnt going to , just curious !!!!!! i wouldna put a chev frame under one of my furds , that'd gat me lynched and hung by the neck at the nearest ford dealer sign .

Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
It personally gives me hives thinking about it. My personal preference is to keep it all Ford but I respect others decisions.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List - THE H.A.M.B..

Then search this forum and find out what you really need to know.

helpfully, himmelberg

Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Mark, I'm mounting my 48 on a 87 short wheelbase S10. I have all my body mounts welded in as well as the rad support, everything has gone well so far. From the outside you can't tell there has been a swap. I'm putting a custom shorty flatbed on mine, if you go with the box you have to channel the box over the frame because the S10 kicks up at the back. If you want the box you should get the longer wheelbase versions and shorten them to the 114" length.
I know alot of people don't agree with this choice but i got a good deal on the truck that was on its way to the crusher, The frame was rotted so badly it was starting to fall apart. When the truck hits the road you'll have to look underneath to tell.
Brian

Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
thats the true definition of a hot rod , using what you have to build what you want .i too dont like the chev or any other off brand under 'em but when its done in a sense we all can benefit from it as we obviously have learned something . mine was early 70's ford with a 55 body so ........... i wish now i'da kept it and started over but i was angry and had too many other issues at that time . besides if we all restored 'em and put 'em back to oe ya gotta admit it'd be a lil' boring after awhile . i may not agree with some things or styles but it is fun and i do pick up ideas for mine looking at others work and creativity . by the way mine still has a gm alternator on it . probably will for a bit more as i had to spend some { a goodly amount !!!!! } for parts to get the 53 back on the path of being my driver again . the generator conversion will have to wait a lil' longer .

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 55 f350
thats the true definition of a hot rod , using what you have to build what you want .i too dont like the chev or any other off brand under 'em but when its done in a sense we all can benefit from it as we obviously have learned something . mine was early 70's ford with a 55 body so ........... i wish now i'da kept it and started over but i was angry and had too many other issues at that time . besides if we all restored 'em and put 'em back to oe ya gotta admit it'd be a lil' boring after awhile . i may not agree with some things or styles but it is fun and i do pick up ideas for mine looking at others work and creativity . by the way mine still has a gm alternator on it . probably will for a bit more as i had to spend some { a goodly amount !!!!! } for parts to get the 53 back on the path of being my driver again . the generator conversion will have to wait a lil' longer .
You hit the nail on the head there.

Some of us are here for the memories of yesteryear, some are hear for the challenge of doing something a little different, some of us are here for pure frustration, despair and insanity followed by feelings of jubilation after overcoming yet another Darksider hurdle. Being a true Darksider is like riding a roller coaster of emotions, but I think we're all a little unbalanced in our own way.......even the OE guys.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 55 f350
i wonder if he's the same fella from ol skool that sent me the details and blueprints once about it . i was curious and he was real cool about giving up the info and so forth . no i wasnt going to , just curious !!!!!! i wouldna put a chev frame under one of my furds , that'd gat me lynched and hung by the neck at the nearest ford dealer sign .
We don't need not stinkin Ford Sign - tree, light pole, Forklift, ballhitch (Verticle hangin)

We can do it man.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
you'd have to beat my wife to it dick !!!!!!!! if i was to start another big project like that frame swap she'd hang me first !!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Dangerousdave
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Here we go again! Every time some one posts about a frame swap there's a lot of heat but the last time I noticed there wasn't too much, I think the stark opposers to the idea are getting tired. I don't really have much of an oppinion about the subject.

Heh heh heh! Yes, the subject is controversial. My humble opinion, though, is that a frame swap such as this could make the job a lot easier and produce a fairly decent handling truck.

The bad news? GM never put a decent engine in the S-10.

Not only that, but the dude that put up the article on doing it says you need a standard cab LWB for it to work.... I'd like to see the production numbers on those. I think I've seen a handful in my lifetime since most were shortbeds. Of the longbeds I have seen, I'd say most if not all were earlier models when they ran the 2.8 V-6 which, by most accounts, is a substandard motor at best.

At least with the 4.3 it should be an easy swap to a SB Chev.

What would I do? Keep the original frame, and since you're heading to the junkyard anyway, look for Mustang II front end pieces and an '89-up FI 302.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
ap52fordf1
New User
I to have a 52 f1 that will be receiving a frame swap. This Saturday I will be picking up my new 1986 reg cab lwb s-10. Now to make nice with eveyone, I will be swapping out the gm 7.5 with a ford 8.8. The 8.8 is from a 2000 explorer and is a 3L73 disc brake axle. It bolts on the s-10 with only four mods.

The setup for the 52 is:

engine: 1969 corvette 327, edelbrock performer w/ 750 holley DP
transmission: 700r4
rear: ford 8.8 3.73 (locker)
wheels: Stockton Rally 15/7 front, 15/14 rear
tires: Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radial - 235/60/15 front, 33/21.5/15 rear (subject to change depending on width)

I will take pics and post updates.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM
DROPTOP46
Junior User
OK< I admit it, I did this once. It may not be my first choice, but then again I have cool tools to play with. With the two frames side by side, first udjust the wheel base to match, then start measuring. set the bottom of the s-10 even with the bottom of the running board of the F1, build you cab mounts. You will need to raise the bed floor, just get some chev style angle strips from Mar-K and weld them on to the bedsides higher up. I think it was about 2 1/2" for stock s-10, go a few inches higher if your thinking about bags. Set your motor to fit the cab, don't rely on the s-10 mts. If its a ford W, use a fox body pan, and it'll go right in. then cut, weld grind...... OK, not everybody's cut of tea, just do a good job and make it safe. I put over 80k mi on mine then sold it to a guy who still drives it everyday (12 yrs now). 'FORD', 'CHEVY', 'DODGE', blah blah blah. 99% of all must II IFS kits use GM calipers, everyone uses a GM one wire alternator. Corvettes are great parts cars. Ford built the 9", and some good lookin' bodies. Use what you got, and drive it. How about paint codes? is it OK to lay down some sweet Buick Honduras Maroon on a mercury? - looks good to me. - - Don't bother throwin rocks, I got my school-bus helmet on.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
1952 Ford F100 Truck (NOT MINE!) eBay Item number: 160351599306

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-F-100_W0QQit...3A1%7C294%3A50

An absolute gem 1952 ford F100 complete frame off restoration with a 12 inch body drop no chop sitting on an S10 frame. The engine is a 350 Chev 5.7 litre with an Edelbrock 650 carb. Transistorized ignition, GM 350 turbo transmission and a 9 bolt positraction rear end. It comes with American Wheel 5 spoke rims front p215-rear 275-60r. The cab is beautifully restored to original spec - no chop. Comes with a Cd stereo with rear speakers. This truck in beautiful condition, has awesome power and is a great investment. I am offering it at a very reasonable reserve price.
1952 f1 wpg.jpg

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
This is what mostly makes it not worthwhile swap for me:

Here's my bed on my heavily modified 1978 F-250 frame:

I still have a full box and I was just playing with bed floor designs at this point is why the floor isn't perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S10 Frame for 51 f-1