2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried to sell their truck lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM
krazymatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might get a call or two if you lowered it 2-4 grand. Don't feel bad though. My garage contains an 06 Expedition and my 06 F-150. Back in April I found a deal on a used 07 Honda Civic. I bought the Civic, and parked the Expedition. (Trading was not an option) I use the truck for towing a camper/boat/recreational use and going to the landfill. The Expedition I have no choice but to leave it in the garage with 24k miles, and pay on it another 4 years. That's it I have no other choice. It might make a nice museum piece one day, but there's no way I'm going to pay $1000 a month to commute to work on it. I could kinda live with $3.50 a gallon, but 4 bucks, no way. My Civic takes about 45 bucks to fill up and that lasts a week. It's scary because I keep hearing that it's only going to get worse. Look at the bright side, we're stuck with these trucks, but I'd rather be stuck with the Ford trucks we have than anything else. I only wish I would've bought a PSD when I bought my F-150. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
titanfan11
New User
I sold my 07 crew FX4 F-250 about 3 months ago to the local dealer for $30k, after having it on the market for 2 months with no calls on Autotrader. I took a small beating on it, but I took my time and found a 05 screw FX4 loaded with 50k miles, dvd, leather, etc. for 17000. So I figured as long as I don't sell its pretty much a wash. My father just got in the car business recently and the price of full size trucks at the auctions is unbelieveable. About 3k to 4k lower than the blue book prices quoted.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
krazymatt
Senior User
TitanFan, Very interesting.......It's too bad there's not a better way for us folks to buy and sell or trade trucks. You were looking to get out of a diesel and get into an F-150 and I am opposite. My F-150 has 24K miles and is a fully loaded 4x4 SCrew Lariat, and I would've loved to do some sort of buy/sell/trade to get your diesel. Oh well. Maybe someone will think of a way for people to trade out vehicles without going through a dealer. Perhaps some sort of an internet site where people could post what they need and what they want to get rid of.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
titanfan11
New User
I feel very lucky to have got the money I did for my SD. As I said my father started in the car biz right after that and a 250 just like mine, but one year older sold at auction for a little over $19k. My best friend ask my dad how much he could he could get for his 03 scab, loaded, 83k miles, Black Book on it says $8300.00 and that was 3 weeks ago, probably lower by now. He told him to keep it, and buy a two door Spec, made by Nabisco. I thought that was hilarious.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FatalErrorz
Don't sell your trucks...Buy a POS, give it a tune-up, use it as a daily driver, and your trucks as a hauler. You wil NOT recoup your $$$ by selling your trucks for MANY years, and on top of that, don't expect the market to sustain the price of oil when everyone except Britain and the U.S. is subsidizing the price. China buys oil at the same price it costs us, and as soon as they can't afford to pay $3.00 for every gallon consumed, they will pass that on to the average chinaman/chinawoman...Can you say "WOW, the U.S. $$$ is escalating again?"

Give it some time...We screwed the pooch with our housing mess, but the governments who subsidize their oil are getting EQUALLY (if not worse) screwed. It sucks right now, but we don't subsidize a free market economy other than the farmers...Who deserve it a lot of times.
yup... but hey, i just wanted to do my part for global warming... with a V10 instead of a V8...

I don't see how much longer China can rise at the rate they're going... India was close to the same stage (crazy rate of increase in GDP) a few years ago with the whole IT outsourcing boom. And they're not any better now...

Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM
palm trees for me
Freshman User
I looked at trading/ selling my F150 last week (wanting a new F250). Kelly Blue book has NEVER been accurate. NADA shows the value of my truck has dropped $2500 in one month. Here in the south, they use the"little black book" which some association prints weekly showing what the vehicles have been actually selling for at auction. Using that, my truck is worth even less than NADA. So, the '04 SCREW sits in the driveway and the Harley is the dailey driver (at 30 MPG).
I still love my truck, just not the cost of feeding it.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by palm trees for me
I looked at trading/ selling my F150 last week (wanting a new F250). Kelly Blue book has NEVER been accurate. NADA shows the value of my truck has dropped $2500 in one month. Here in the south, they use the"little black book" which some association prints weekly showing what the vehicles have been actually selling for at auction. Using that, my truck is worth even less than NADA. So, the '04 SCREW sits in the driveway and the Harley is the dailey driver (at 30 MPG).
I still love my truck, just not the cost of feeding it.
So you are going to trade your lighter/better on gas F-150 for an F-250???

You said you want a new F-250, question is do you NEED an F-250? If you are complaining about feeding the F-150 I can't imagine you are going to be happy to put even more money into the F-250......

Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
We went through this in the 70s and people were trading Cadillacs for Pintos. It was predicted gas would be $5.00 per gallon back then. However, once the panic subsided, the market came back and recovered. This may or may not happen this time. It is up to congress to get their mess straightened out if we are to recover.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by osbornk
We went through this in the 70s and people were trading Cadillacs for Pintos. It was predicted gas would be $5.00 per gallon back then. However, once the panic subsided, the market came back and recovered. This may or may not happen this time. It is up to congress to get their mess straightened out if we are to recover.
many people forgot the carter era...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by osbornk
Later 90's-2000: Stock market Cranked then tanked

2004-2007/8: Housing market Cranked then tanked

2007/2008: Gas, Natural Gas, Food Cranked up, will tank if this trend holds true... I see gas being settled around $3 a gallon by this time next year..

my $0.02

Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
I have considered it. I would like to trade my 04 in on a newer one since there are so many deals out there. However, I'm not is a situation to do that right now, so I still drive my 04 every day. Gas is killing me, but I have no choice. I would love to get a 08 Harley truck, but can't take the loss on my 04, especially since I just turned 100,000 on it !!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Twinsdad98
I have considered it. I would like to trade my 04 in on a newer one since there are so many deals out there. However, I'm not is a situation to do that right now, so I still drive my 04 every day. Gas is killing me, but I have no choice. I would love to get a 08 Harley truck, but can't take the loss on my 04, especially since I just turned 100,000 on it !!
100,000 miles trouble free? Have you done your plugs? How's the Tranny holding up?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:50 AM
wick246
Posting Guru
You guys are bringing some sanity back into my world. It's easy to get caught up in the news hysteria and forget that it's an ebb and flow kind of thing. I just bought an '04 F150 and part of me worries about the decision considering what may happen in the future. On the other hand without a reliable truck, I should sell the trailer and dirt bike too, no sense in having them around just to rot away. I'll be the guy with pink flamingos in the yard, having a campout in the driveway...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Steve_Uzi
100,000 miles trouble free? Have you done your plugs? How's the Tranny holding up?
pretty sad, spark plugs was my first thought too when I read 100k.

i'm at 80 and haven't done em... was hoping i'd sell the truck for a SD before now...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by wick246
You guys are bringing some sanity back into my world. It's easy to get caught up in the news hysteria and forget that it's an ebb and flow kind of thing. I just bought an '04 F150 and part of me worries about the decision considering what may happen in the future. On the other hand without a reliable truck, I should sell the trailer and dirt bike too, no sense in having them around just to rot away. I'll be the guy with pink flamingos in the yard, having a campout in the driveway...
Don't sell the dirtbike !

Well that is one thing that I don't do less because of the Gas prices.. and that is Riding my 4x4 ATV or my Snowmobile.... I will sacrafice other luxuries like eating out, drinking beer to put gas in my tanks to play!

Quick Reply: Anyone tried to sell their truck lately?