Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Delaware Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Delaware Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fire240

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 AM
New User

81ford150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need advice

Hey All!

I recently picked up a 1981 F50, 300-6 manual trans. I'm not looking to make a show truck out of it, but would like to keep it going (mechanically) for many years to come. I would also like to repair cosmetic damage as time permits.

What I need is someone experienced enough and willing to take a look at the truck and give me an idea as to what condition the truck is in and what I'm up against.

Anybody out there willing to check her out? I'm in South Central PA.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:11 AM
"Obsessed"

SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm a little ways away but post up some pics of the truck. I have a 86 and a lot of stuff interchanges up to 96 so you can update them nicely.

The areas that rust the worst on those trucks are the cab corners and the radiator support. The support can be changed but if the cab is real bad it can be a bit of work to fix.

Brian DELAWARE CHAPTER

2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew 5.4 4WD
1986 F150 XL LB I6 2WD
2008 Scion xB
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
New User

81ford150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Brian.

Thanks for the repy. I only have the three pics in my gallery so far. My problem is, I've always bought new trucks and now I have this old one. I have a million questions. My first goal is to make the engine and transmission as sound as possible. It does make some "odd" noises and "bucks" and "kicks" a bit, but I don't know if these things are normal or signs of trouble. After the mechanical work, I need to know what body parts can be repaired and what has to be replaced.

I can take some more pics if you like. I found out that we're only about 35 miles from one another. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere, if you're willing to take a look at it.

Thanks Brian!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

glruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputation
Hi Jim, welcome to FTE and the Delaware chapter.

Brian is the man to give you some advice.

Maybe if you bring your truck to the MidAtlantic Meet at Carlisle PA, All Truck Nationals, you can get opinions from everyone that attends our meet.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
"Obsessed"

SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.SCRWDRVR has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Jim,
The 300 is a great engine and known for going 300k without major repair so you couldnt have a better engine. I cant see to much in the pics really however a few guys from the chapter are coming here tomorrow to pull a engine and trans on my parts truck and your more than welcome to come buy and I'll answer any questions I can for ya. Just let me know and I'll shot you my address so you can look it up or let me know were your at and I'll give you some directions

ATN is a great event too dont miss it if at all possible

Brian DELAWARE CHAPTER

2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew 5.4 4WD
1986 F150 XL LB I6 2WD
2008 Scion xB
Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Posting Guru

66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.
One thing, you really can't go wrong with 300 6 cyl. At least it's old enough that you can actually work on it.
Charlie

62' F-100 SWB uni 223
78' F-350 Dually 400
2012 XL 5.0 3.73
'66 F-100 SWB 352
Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Delaware Chapter