1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

12v Gas Sending Unit....need more range!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:38 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12v Gas Sending Unit....need more range!?

Hi all,
I have a new 12v. sender from Mid-50, when tank is full it only reads 1\2 tank, I tried to adjust the arm and found it will only read a hair over 3/4 tank on the stock guage needle. Any further change to the range limit on the sender causes the contact to go off the circuit board and loose signal. It reads on the empty side just fine so if I "bend" the guage needle to read full then I will have an incorrect reading of 1/4 tank when I'm really empty...
ANY IDEAS on a FIX??? Anyone using a sender that is better\more accurate from empty to full on a stock '54 guage setup?
The only manufacturer mark on what I have is a "R" on the plastic body.
p.s. I'm also using the 15 gal poly stock style tank under the running board.
Thanks for any input....early happy 4th.
Ed

Old 06-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi ED! Happy 4th to you too!

If you are using the stock 6 V gauge and a 12 V sending unit on a 12 volt system, you need to put one of those Voltage reducers on the back of the gas gauge.

Mid fiftie should sell them but I don't have that link available.

I have the link for the item at C&G. Chances are the part numbers will be the same. I have one on my gauge and it works perfectly now. You may have to recalibrate the float level positions now that you have bent it.

Don't forget the cardboard box trick I posted on the other tank sending unit proplem to do that!

Here's the C&G link for the voltage reducer:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Good Luck,
Julie!

Hmmmm, that link didn't work....try this one and type part number B-10606-R.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....age%7EcadefeiB

OK that worked!

Also found it at MId Fifties - do a search in 6 Volt Accessories or by part # - its part # 3222.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Julie...thanks for the advice on the 6v to 12v but I've got that covered. The setup I got from Mid-50 was a full reproduction 12v guage set with all new matched senders . All else works great...I guess my only issue is to the limitations on the sending unit range. I eneded up breaking off the tab that keeps the float rod from moving farther for more read...this allowed the contact for the float rod to go off the end on the circuit board and loose the signal...I have refabbed a limit stop and the sender works great...but the needle on the gas guage just wont go further than apx. 3\4 tank...but when I move the float rod to the empty position the guage reads right at empty...like it should, turn the key off and the guage needle drops to the off position just below empty...again-just like it should.
So i guess what i'm asking is ....is the sender and guage really NOT matched or calibrated or do I need a better sender for the tank that has a wider range on the contact for signal to the guage?
thanks, Ed

Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ahhh! Ok! I misread your original post.

I thought you were using the new sending unit with the stock 54 gauge - the gauge being the original 6 volts. But if you bought them as a matches set, they should work. That is of course unless they sent you a 6 volt set instead of 12 volt set, or mixed a 6 volt gauge with a 12 volt sender. Then it would do exactly what you described on a 12 volt system.

Sounds like my problem exactly, and it was a voltage mismatch.

I'll be interested to hear what it finally turns out to be!

Good Luck!

J!

Oh Oh Oh OH! PS, I just remembered that the gauges are adjustable on both ends!!!! At least the stock ones were. There is a tiny hole in the back of the gauge on the bottom of the backing plate. If you look inside the hole you will see some little teeth. If you put a small screw driver in the teeth and tun gently, it moves the needle up or down. On the gas gauge there are adjusters for both the high and low end. (but sorry Ed, I'd still re re re verify the voltage match up thing again - not doubting ya, it just sounds exactly the same as when there's a mismatch.)