6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

epa vs. tuner co. rumor

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 AM
goneon66
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
epa vs. tuner co. rumor

i read on fordpowerstrokeforum.com from a ford diesel mechanic that the epa has gone to all tuner companies and told them to stop all dpf delete programs or risk heavy fines or possibly even the closure of their businesses..............

anybody hear anything about this???

Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
They shouldnt b able to do that, the tuner companies would have to label there product for "off high way use only " and that would be about it. I dont think they can do anything about off highway vechicles

Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by That_Guy
They shouldnt b able to do that, the tuner companies would have to label there product for "off high way use only " and that would be about it. I dont think they can do anything about off highway vechicles
If they can't do anything about off highway vehicles why are lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. subject to EPA regulation?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 AM
yukondiesel
Senior User
I think the EPA regulates the manufacturing specs for those non-traffic items. What was the last ET for your chainsaw at the track?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:19 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by yukondiesel
I think the EPA regulates the manufacturing specs for those non-traffic items. What was the last ET for your chainsaw at the track?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:54 PM
yukondiesel
Senior User
NO BAD!!! Tuner or stock!

Old 06-29-2008, 04:23 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Blown.......

Old 06-29-2008, 07:44 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by goneon66
i read on fordpowerstrokeforum.com from a ford diesel mechanic that the epa has gone to all tuner companies and told them to stop all dpf delete programs or risk heavy fines or possibly even the closure of their businesses..............

anybody hear anything about this???

That appears to be a rumor. All the tuner companies and dealers I've spoken to have not received such a threat from the EPA.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 PM
DSW
Freshman User
Originally Posted by origcharger
That must be one of those unlimited class saws used in the lumberjack competitions! Is it one based on a bike motor?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will vote for BS on this. How long have companies been selling full exhaust kits with no cats? Smog pump eliminators on Mustangs? Camshafts, cylinder heads, intakes, carburetors, do I really need to keep going?? If the EPA were to pick a fight with the aftermarket about removing emmissions equipment they better be ready for one huge fight because this business is a whole lot bigger than tuners DPF deletes on diesels.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 PM
stevestroke01
Senior User
Originally Posted by caprang
I will vote for BS on this. How long have companies been selling full exhaust kits with no cats? Smog pump eliminators on Mustangs? Camshafts, cylinder heads, intakes, carburetors, do I really need to keep going?? If the EPA were to pick a fight with the aftermarket about removing emmissions equipment they better be ready for one huge fight because this business is a whole lot bigger than tuners DPF deletes on diesels.
I agree 100% . Having owned and raced a Mustang this DPF delete deal is small compared to all the street and drag racing aftermarket.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't see how the EPA could go after the tuner manufaturers. Only way I see the EPA keeping the DPFs on street vehicles is to make a federal law and the vehicle have to have a dpf and cat on to pass inspections just like gassers. IMO the EPA is getting too tight with the emmission standards.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without the EPA's involvement we would all be getting 20 mpg, The supply of diesel fuel would be over flowing the holding tanks and the price would be $1.50/gallon as stations begged all the truckers to buy more. OK, maybe thats a bit of a stretch.

Without the EPA we would all be driving 7.3's. Thats a fact. Can you imagine the 7.3 with a 4 valve head, the torqshift tranny, and the latest injection system? WOW! Well imagine is all we can do in either case because the wonderful EPA thinks they are helping somehow.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caprang
Without the EPA's involvement we would all be getting 20 mpg, The supply of diesel fuel would be over flowing the holding tanks and the price would be $1.50/gallon as stations begged all the truckers to buy more. OK, maybe thats a bit of a stretch.

Without the EPA we would all be driving 7.3's. Thats a fact. Can you imagine the 7.3 with a 4 valve head, the torqshift tranny, and the latest injection system? WOW! Well imagine is all we can do in either case because the wonderful EPA thinks they are helping somehow.
Yeah, its called a 6.4

Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Demolition
Senior User
When talking with car owners or even non-diesel truck owners, the reaction is always the same when I mention that dpf deletes gain 3-5mpg, (according to those who have done this). They always say "how stupid", or "how does the epa justify that?".

I actually like that my truck is cleaner, but even my 96 5.9 didn't smoke much. So I really wonder how much these things help. Probably the ULSD helps more than the dpfs in terms of soot.
However, I will make a prediction that we will be missing the good ol dpf days if urea-spraying trucks hit the street.

I wouldn't doubt that the epa has THOUGHT about going after aftermarket exhaust/performance sales, but yeah, that is a big market and it would be an extended battle.

Quick Reply: epa vs. tuner co. rumor