N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Turtle Wax Ice - Opinions - What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:08 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice - Opinions - What do you use?

Hey, just tried out the Turtle Wax Ice. So, far I like it. Especially for that black plastic trim with texture to it.

For those that don't know about the product: It's a poly sealant that doesn't haze white. So, it stays shiney on that tex blk surface.

Anyways, I tried some on the running boards, mud guards, and rear step of my Pathfinder today and will report on it later. It looks pretty good and I think it will last longer than 303 Protectant.

I also put some on the hood of the F100 to see if the shine lasts. It looked pretty good. It was getting dark so, I'll have to see in the morning.

I have been using Crystal Guard which is twice the price so, I will compare to that. I know it won't give me as hard a surface as Crystal Guard but, CG is difficult to get in the US these days. EPA I think?

I've slowly been weaning myself off of Crystal Guard and so far this stuff looks like a good and easy option.

CG was $39.95 for a 8oz bottle. Ice is $17 for a 16oz. So, it's a bunch cheaper. I'm not sure if it will cover that same area. It looks like 16oz will cover the same as 8oz of CG. So, it still a savings of about 50% without some of the advantages of CG.

It looks like Turtle Wax Ice is a great product imo. I will do a shine test against CG (best imo) / Zaino (expensive) / Turtle Wax Ice. I'm thinking Turtle Wax Ice is the same as Zaino for about 1/5 the price. It will take 3-6 months to know that really.

For a quick shine between waxes I have been using Meg Detailer. I like the stuff. I tried the Turtle Wax quick detailer and it seem to streak a little. However, I should try it on a cool day not one that is 90 or higher.

Sorry if this post is a bit choppy. However, I wanted to get this out there to see if anyone else has tried Turtle Wax Ice. I would like to get their opinion on the product and what else they have used.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't tried it...but then, I don't own anything worth waxing!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Well Mecinoid i will be looking into a good wax and shine product after my truck gets back from paint and body i guess our trucks will no longer be twins since i went with a burgundy color for my f-100 let me know what you think of the ice.

thanks
Earl W.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Hey Earl,

I can't remember for sure, but i think there is a window of time you are not supposed to wax a new paint job. Your body shop will tell you.
kgs

Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
thanx karl i'm at there mercy at this point refer to body work ugg thread
Earl W.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
General rule is that you wait about 6 month before you seal or wax a new paint job. This allows the paint to outgas and harden completely. Really 3 months is enough time but you really won't need to wax / seal for the first 6 months anyways. I believe that is why they say that.

The beauty of CG is that it goes into the paint pores and lifts the contaminates to the surface over night, hardeneds and seals the paint all in one step. You still want to wait 3-6 months after painting to go this. I'm saving my CG until my next paint job. Or, until I can get another case of the stuff. Last case of 12 8oz bottle was $350. But, it has lasted me over 6 years.

What I do is after six months I use a clay bar to smooth out the surface of the paint/ clearcoat. Then I use a sealant like ICE, Zaino or CG. Then, repeat a needed. With ICE, Zaino, and CG the paint gets depth the more you use it.

So far, when I looked at the F100 and Pathfinder today it looked good. I'm going to look at again in one, two, three weeks..... Then I hope it goes three months with beading. After that six months would be more than expected with this stuff. However, it is so easy to apply I wouldn't have an issue with hitting it again in three months. I think I'll put multiple coats on them both before then. So, maybe I should ICE my trailer and see how that does with just one coat over the next six months.