2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusion on synthetic oils

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 PM
ff_sssmokin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confusion on synthetic oils

I have been reading in different forums how people are really disliking Amsoil. I know several people that use Amsoil and just love it. Am i missing something here?? I have recently purchased an '05 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4L and 32k miles. Want to switch to synthetic and have used Amsoil in the past year or so. Should i be looking at another brand??

Old 06-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
in my experience, amsoil and royal purple have been nicer than mobil, valvoline and that checker auto stuff...

quite honestly though, most oils nowadays are pretty damn good. the problem is getting the ditzy soccer moms to remember to change it... and making sure you don't get a car previously owned by one

Old 06-29-2008, 05:11 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
For me the Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend, as recommended by Ford, works just fine. Is it worth the extra money, not that it's really all that much, for a full synthetic?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 AM
442w30
Senior User
Tons of surveys and reports on Synthetic vs. Dino. Overall opinion is that just about any brand name oil will provide good lubrication and proper cleansing of the engine. Its the Filter! Lot of big name filters have been shown to be junk. The backflow valve is very important to these engines.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
ff_sssmokin
New User
I never used to be a synthetic believer, but i have seen some differences in small equipment that i assume would be the same in bigger motors.

442w30, i think you are right, filters do make a difference. But again, who is better? I have been using Amsoil filters the past year or so. I am amazed at how heavy they are. Supposedly, studeis show they are much better than others.

Why can't someone make these desicions much easier? Lol.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM
rebelyell618
Elder User
where people have problems/complaints against amsoil is the price and the ability to get it.

you can get Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple, etc at just any auto store while you have to find a dealer to order you any Amsoil product, which in most cases for people it is just to troublesome to deal with.

Plus the prices are quite high for their oils, am i say it isn't worth it, NO. You can get just about any sythetic from a known company (see the oils i listed above for examples) and have the same results as using Amsoil for a cheaper price is all i'm getting at.

In my trucks if it doesn't have Motorcraft syn blend then i have Pennzoil Platinumin in it (only pennzoil product i use). cause the platinum is 20 bucks for 5 quarts and it has given alot of great UOA's.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 AM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
go to Valvolines website, and read about oils. I'll keep using the syn's, thank you. Not much more expensive, when you compare change intervals. I keep my cars for a long time, and have never had an engine prob. In these newer engines, make sure you follow the rec's, they are being built much tighter, and need the lighter oils.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM
ff_sssmokin
New User
I agree about the cost rebelyell, that is why i am thinking otherwise. By the time you pay shipping costs, Amsoil is getting way too expensive. I know a few people who are using Mobil 1 syn. and are happy. I have also heard that Castrol is a good pick.

By the way, if you like Kenseth, you would love my sons bedroom. It is painted black and yellow with numerous pictures, models, etc.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
...another problem with Amsoil...

Originally Posted by ff_sssmokin
I agree about the cost rebelyell, that is why i am thinking otherwise. By the time you pay shipping costs, Amsoil is getting way too expensive. I know a few people who are using Mobil 1 syn. and are happy. I have also heard that Castrol is a good pick.

By the way, if you like Kenseth, you would love my sons bedroom. It is painted black and yellow with numerous pictures, models, etc.
Is the pyramid scheme of individuals selling the stuff with religious fervor, kind of like Amway products. I avoid products that are sold like this and would prefer buying stuff over the counter, on sale if possible. I believe Amsoil is probably a fine product, but also believe that name brand syn oils (Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, Mobil 1) are also just fine and can be had on sale.

I have about 4 changes worth of Valvoline Syntec for one of my vehicles that I got either for BOGO (buy one get one free) or for 99 cents per quart after rebate. And I've got 3 changes worth of Quaker State Torque Power 5W20 for my van that I got for 99 cents per quart at an Advance Auto closeout...

Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
ff_sssmokin
New User
Smart shopping yoGeorge. I am also starting to believe that these other syn oils are just as good. Even though gas prices are high, it is still cheaper to drive to the store than pay for shipping from Amsoil.