Sponsored by: DP Tuner

BD Power Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:45 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Power Transmissions?

I know most of you guys are running BTS or J.W's beefed up Trannys, but i am wondering if any of ya are runnin a BD Power tranny? I am not sure how many miles are on my tranny, but the truck as 390 000 KM on it. I dont kno if the guy before me replaced it or not.

I dont do a whole lot of towing right now to warrant a new tranny, but in the future i might. I am wondering if anybody has tried a BD POwer tranny or not, and if so, what they thought? I am about 1000 km north of Vancouver, so BTS or JW is out of the question.

I am really thinkin that it would be cheaper to buy another 7.3L with the 6 speed and start over.

BD tranny $5145
BD T.C. $1400
BD exhaust brake with trans control is about $1600 (if i remember correctly)
Labour.

Its easy enough to find a 99 to 03 with 200 000 km on it for $10k to $20k depending on the truck and milage etc. Dang near better off to start over!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:33 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by outdoormaniac
I know most of you guys are running BTS or J.W's beefed up Trannys, but i am wondering if any of ya are runnin a BD Power tranny? I am not sure how many miles are on my tranny, but the truck as 390 000 KM on it. I dont kno if the guy before me replaced it or not.

I dont do a whole lot of towing right now to warrant a new tranny, but in the future i might. I am wondering if anybody has tried a BD POwer tranny or not, and if so, what they thought? I am about 1000 km north of Vancouver, so BTS or JW is out of the question.

I am really thinkin that it would be cheaper to buy another 7.3L with the 6 speed and start over.

BD tranny $5145
BD T.C. $1400
BD exhaust brake with trans control is about $1600 (if i remember correctly)
Labour.

Its easy enough to find a 99 to 03 with 200 000 km on it for $10k to $20k depending on the truck and milage etc. Dang near better off to start over!
that's $5145 for the Trans? and another $1400 for the TC?? that's crazy..get a BTS..there only 3900 with the TC.....he will ship one to you for the cost...still got to be cheaper then BD....and I'm sure the warranty is far better too..the BTS is %100 for 2 years ..miles or how you use the Trans don't matter..

Old 06-28-2008, 06:52 PM
outdoormaniac
Senior User
There was about a $400 core charge on the T.C. and i forget how much on the tranny itself, but still. Might have to look into how much it would cost to ship one from BTS to here.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Mr. Bob
Elder User
I had mine built by BC automatic in new west... He is very good with 4R100s and builds all the local ambulances and armored cars...

I think he is about $4000??? thats with a TCS triple disc converter....

Dave:
604 526 8811

you can PM me for a little more info if you like....

Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
that's $5145 for the Trans? and another $1400 for the TC?? that's crazy..get a BTS..there only 3900 with the TC.....he will ship one to you for the cost...still got to be cheaper then BD....and I'm sure the warranty is far better too..the BTS is %100 for 2 years ..miles or how you use the Trans don't matter..

As a member I can help you with the price, our warranty is much better as we cover parts and warranty, not just the parts. If you are serious about a Quality Built BD Transmission, call me and I will work out a serious price.

Refer to this thread when you call...

800-887-5030 ext 105

Old 06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
IIRC the new price is $4100 and yes it is for 2 yrs and whatever application. What is not mentioned is that even after 2 yrs, he will take care of you for free. I don't think BD can say that. He will tell you it is the last trans you will buy for that truck. You don't have to go there. He can have it shipped to you.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:38 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by dave at BD Power
our warranty is much better as we cover parts and warranty, not just the parts.
How so? What happens in 5 years or if you discover I use it for drag racing in the summer and snow plowing in the winter? Will you still warranty it then? BTS has fixed transmissions that have been out of written warranty. He tells you it is the last one you are buying. Can you say that? So you pick up the tab for the 1st year. What about the next one or the one after that? What are the limitations of your warranty?

Old 06-30-2008, 03:27 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
I will not say anything you want to hear and I will not put in writing that I will warranty my transmission in an 800HP cummins with 40" tires so it can be used for burnouts on dry pavement. If you are saying that BTS will do this let us know, you may want to check with them before you post on their behalf.

Rather than posting that he "says" he will warranty it, lets stick to the question and answer if he will put in writing that he will warranty a transmission for this application or not.

Pretty simple question, I think the members here deserve a simple answer.

First to play fair, I will answer your question, in hopes you will show me the same respect.

I will warranty my transmissions for up to 3 years parts and labor. The warranty is good to 450RWHP on our standard transmissions. Our race transmission come with no warranty other than our verbal agreement to inspect the transmission for BD manufactured part that may have failed, which will be warrantied, if it was abuse, and wear and tear is obvious for example a shaft broke when the customer opted to save money and not go with the billet shaft, it would not be covered. We have warrantied our transmission well past 450HP but first we needed to see the transmission here for inspection and evaluation over 450HP.

In your opinion it may not be the best warranty, although I believe it is, but it is writing and includes labor, not just parts.

Dave

Old 06-30-2008, 04:07 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

I will not say anything you want to hear and I will not put in writing that I will warranty my transmission in an 800HP cummins with 40" tires so it can be used for burnouts on dry pavement. If you are saying that BTS will do this let us know, you may want to check with them before you post on their behalf.

Rather than posting that he "says" he will warranty it, lets stick to the question and answer if he will put in writing that he will warranty a transmission for this application or not.

Pretty simple question, I think the members here deserve a simple answer.

First to play fair, I will answer your question, in hopes you will show me the same respect.

I will warranty my transmissions for up to 3 years parts and labor. The warranty is good to 450RWHP on our standard transmissions. Our race transmission come with no warranty other than our verbal agreement to inspect the transmission for BD manufactured part that may have failed, which will be warrantied, if it was abuse, and wear and tear is obvious for example a shaft broke when the customer opted to save money and not go with the billet shaft, it would not be covered. We have warrantied our transmission well past 450HP but first we needed to see the transmission here for inspection and evaluation over 450HP.

In your opinion it may not be the best warranty, although I believe it is, but it is writing and includes labor, not just parts.

Dave
I have checked with them but perhaps you can ask JTHARVEY. He won a trans in their open house raffle. When it failed IN A RACE that Brian was at, he towed it back to his shop and fixed it.

Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com - View Single Post - BTS is a class act

Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com - View Single Post - BTS is a class act

IIRC, several people have asked if there is any limit to his warranty. So far I don't recall anyone every saying "Brian would not warranty my trans because.......".

To answer your question, I'm sure he will. In fact when I told him I was going to do torque stands to spool up the turbo to check for leaks, he just said "So"? He assured me that the warranty covers it.

BTS has made NO issue about someone who was snow plowing and I have asked if he will terminate my warranty if I increase the power. He has said that if I break it, he fixes it. But lets not take anything Brian says. Lets ask around for anyone who has had a warranty denied even AFTER the 2 yrs. I haven't heard of anyone who told them that BTS has a limit on the power that an engine makes.

The limit of the BTS trans is that it will not go for labor in the R&R. AFAIK from what I have heard from others, send it back anytime and he fixes it for nothing. Do you have anything that disputes that?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
So that's a no then; nothing in writing?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

So that's a no then; nothing in writing?
I just got off the phone with them. They will see if Brian did write something up. Basically the warranty is very simple. Within 2 yrs, you take it out and call him and he picks it up on his dime. After 2 yrs, you call him and he charges you freight. So far, has anyone got any reason do doubt that he will do that? There are instances of people who have stepped forward to say that he DOES do just that.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by outdoormaniac
There was about a $400 core charge on the T.C. and i forget how much on the tranny itself, but still. Might have to look into how much it would cost to ship one from BTS to here.
aww the core charge was added in..sounds a little better..and it is a good
warranty..better then most.....

Originally Posted by aklim
IIRC the new price is $4100 and yes it is for 2 yrs and whatever application. What is not mentioned is that even after 2 yrs, he will take care of you for free. I don't think BD can say that. He will tell you it is the last trans you will buy for that truck. You don't have to go there. He can have it shipped to you.
i priced it out last summer..just couldnt swing it...thanks for the up date....

Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Why will he not come on here him self and state it, I am here for everyone to praise or throw rock at because I have nothing to hide.

I know that transmission shops like BTS and Goerend etc... have great names in the industry and I know both shops very well, I even sell parts to some of these transmission builders, flex plates and such. My point is, like them we have been building transmissions for a long time and there is no such thing as a bullet proof transmission or a no questions asked warranty. Abuse aside, what if it is just stupidity that kills the transmission, example, customer has a catastrophic failure and installd a brand new BTS trans but dos not flush the cooler properly and the materiel gets into the new transmission and eats the clutches up. Is he gonna tow that truck home and fix it? What if my 800 cummins tears one up over hear on the West Coast, is he gonna pay $300 to have it shipped to him only to find out I did not flush the cooler???

Lets be realistic here! I am not bashing thier work just questioning what you are saying their warranty is?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the "what if" of some clown not flushing the system after failure is not the question. BD I'm sure your warranty is good as is your trans. If you frequent any diesel forum you know Brian doesn't post or sponsor anywhere (to my knowledge). Some have their opinion on that (other topic).

Edit: Who was the guy that Brian sent a new trans to his house in the back of a p/u and they changed it in the owner's driveway, no questions asked?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

there is no such thing as a bullet proof transmission or a no questions asked warranty.

What if my 800 cummins tears one up over hear on the West Coast, is he gonna pay $300 to have it shipped to him only to find out I did not flush the cooler???

just questioning what you are saying their warranty is?
Bulletproof as in "takes a lot of abuse before breaking", yes. Bulletproof as in "will never break", not a chance. I would buy a trans from anybody that can promise that but I don't think that it will happen. As to a "no questions asked" warranty, many people have bought a BTS but so far, has anyone heard someone who said "BTS did not honor my warranty"? Now if I took my 500 S&W Magnum and shot it, that might fall under another category. Look at ATS. Their warranty basically says that if you install any unapproved program, they have the right to cancel your warranty. I asked Brian about that and he said he didn't care what I ran. Well, you might say "At the time of sale, he will say anything to get your money." and I might agree. So lets let BTS's actions speak for themselves. Lets ask ANYONE if they have ever had a BTS warranty rejected and why. So far, I haven't heard of one. Jeremy was racing and Brian was in the stands. Ford would have said it was abuse. Brian dragged Jeremy back and fixed the trans.

AFAIK, if it is within 2 yrs, he will. Everything I have read in the last couple of years since I have owned a Powerstroke has told me so. Do you know anyone who says otherwise? After 2 yrs, I will have to pay for the shipping but he will rebuild it for nothing. Shipping will be at HIS discounted cost not my own. Question is, what happens with your trans AFTER your 3 yrs is up?

I understand that you are questioning their warranty. I had those questions a while back but nothing I have read leads me to believe otherwise. Like I said, what a man says at the time of sale is sometimes debatable. I'd like to see what he does AFTER the sale. Brian even brought up the credit he would give me for the VB I bought from him after I mentioned that I dragged it and my RV back from a 100 mile hike AFTER the diode locked up. I had burnt fluid within a few minutes of it happening. I drove the truck and 8000# RV with 2 ATVs in it home since I couldn't leave it there. IF he didn't want to give me more than core credit based on a reusable core, I couldn't blame him. He gave me credit even before knowing the fluid was stinky and black and there was sludge at the bottom of the pan. I would have wanted to see the VB BEFORE I give any credit. He gave it without being asked.

Quick Reply: BD Power Transmissions?