Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Bad news on the homefront

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Unhappy Bad news on the homefront

I have been holding off breaking the news to all till we had a definate diagnosis. Well here goes, Donna has been diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in her lower abdomen which at this time is inoperable. Dr. called it a sarcoma, which is a tumor of the soft tissue, we won't know exactly what type until the pathology report comes back though. We had our suspicions before the GTG down here, but she didn't want anyone to know. She will be starting radiation treatments next week, but we are unsure what other treatments will be forthcoming, although we know that chemo will be thrown in there at sometime.
Sometimes I think the news has affected me more than her, I just can't seem to find the strength to go on sometimes. I know I have to keep my hopes up and try to keep her spirits high. The treatments can be devistating to some folks, but we have been through a lot in the 22 years that we have been together, we will beat this too.
Please keep us in your thoughts as we work our way through these troubled times. I will keep everyone posted when we receive new info.
Jeff & Donna

Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
walrus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,
I have already said a prayer for you and Donna. I included you as well, as I know first hand how difficult this is on the husband. My wife went thru something similar a few years ago. Surgery and then radiation were her treatment options. She continuously amazed me with her strength and courage, as I'm sure Donna will as well. Our good news is that we got thru it together, and she's 6 years clear now. So it is beatable. Keep your spirits high.

You both will remain in my prayers.

Mark

Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
lwfox002
Elder User
Our prayers are with you. Sometimes we focus on the one with the disease and forget the family that are affected. Both of you need prayers and we will continue to pray. Keep us posted, about her and you.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:06 AM
95Z71
Elder User
Dang man that sucks, best of luck Jeff, you're in our prayers.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:19 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you Jeff and Donna.

I see a ton of those "cancer treatment centers" commercials on the tv.......might be worth investigating as an option. I think the closest one is in Tulsa.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:57 AM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Jeff, I wish both of you the best. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you guys

Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
I see a ton of those "cancer treatment centers" commercials on the tv.......might be worth investigating as an option. I think the closest one is in Tulsa.
Thanks for the well wishes everyone, it helps greatly when we know that our friends are there for us. As for the treatment centers, I don't think we could find much better than the Women's Oncology Center at UAMS. It seems that the teaching hospitals try to keep up with the latest research and treatments. Also there is a possibility to get involved with a "clinical trial" where there could be a groundbreaking treatment.
We have heard so many horror stories and on the other hand folks that have been through treatment with very few side effects. We met a lady last weekend that has been through 3 different episodes of cancer treatment over the last 10 years and she is now cancer free. This has been an inspiration for Donna and myself.
All of this is so new to us, we really don't know what to expect just yet.
Again, thank all of you for your support. Jeff & Donna

Old 06-28-2008, 02:21 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Jeff, you and Donna are in our prayers as well.

If there is anything I can do for you, just let me know.. Don't be afraid to ask, thats what friends are for.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Jeff as you know we are all here for you and Donna, all you have to do is let us know and we will do whatever we can. If you do go to UAMS let me know my stepsister works in the cancer clinic I don't know what she does there but she's a terrific lady ,and having someone you know there helps alot.
Speaking of people with cancer I have a friend the was diagnosed with cancer and given only 6 months to live, that was 9 yrs ago he just finished restoring another of the 5 Corvettes he has done since then. They found some kind of medicine and he has been fine ever since.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Post Fiend
Jeff,
Sorry to here this kind of news. My sister in law works
at University of Rochester Cancer Center and is always
telling us new treatments and trials.
You and Donna will not only be in my prayers, but that of the entire
MD Chapter.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 AM
brthevio
Senior User
Jeff,
Sorry to hear about the bad news. If there is anything that we can do to help please let me know. We live just before Faircrest heading towards Junction so we can't be that far away from where you live in Eldorado. Best wishes and best of luck to you and your family from me and all of mine. Keep your head up, your wife will probably continue to amaze you with how strong she really is.

Casey

Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You're family is in all our thought and prayers.
Bob

Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Prayers have been sent. Stay strong and keep us posted.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Jeff, Sorry for the bad new's and may our thoughts and prayers be with you..

Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
cnelson
Freshman User
Sometimes the people with the cancer do better than the rest of the family. I found out xmas 98 that i had cancer and i was like "ok let's do something about this". My parents and wife completely fell apart. When i was going through chemo there was a woman who had no hope and she was the happiest of everyone. Treatment has come along way even since i was diagnosed. Best wishes to you and your family.