Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Custom License Plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom License Plates

I'm REALLY getting tired of people asking me if my truck's a Powerstroke. It probably won't actually help but I'm thinking of getting plates that state it's NOT A POWERJOKE... I mean smoke....er puke...or STROKE!

The best I've come up with is NTSTKE or something like that. In Oregon you can have 6 characters but no space in between (well that's what they told me 10-11 years ago when I got plates for my Dodge) or I'd have NT STKE or NOT STK or something similar.

Actually I don't HATE Powerstrokes I just don't want their repair bills. I'd actually like to have a CrewCab SuperDuty with a 6-spd to drop an IDI turbo into. (I know it doesn't actually "drop" in).

Any other ideas on how to get my point across in 6 letters or less?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
NOSTROKE?

I guess that wouldn't fit. Why only 6 characters? I think you're allowed 7 or 8 here.

What about "IDI PWR"

hehe.

As an aside, someone directed me to a website with some sweet International logo merchandise the other day...I bought this awesome International logo front plate, it's diamondplate aluminum with an international logo in the middle. $7! I haven't gotten it yet, hopefully in the next couple days.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ghunt
NOSTROKE?

I guess that wouldn't fit. Why only 6 characters? I think you're allowed 7 or 8 here.

What about "IDI PWR"

hehe.

As an aside, someone directed me to a website with some sweet International logo merchandise the other day...I bought this awesome International logo front plate, it's diamondplate aluminum with an international logo in the middle. $7! I haven't gotten it yet, hopefully in the next couple days.
Nobody knows what an IDI is! I tell them it's an IDI turbo they look at me like I'm speaking slobovian.

What's the name of the Intl. web site?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:41 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see ads for 80s model Fords all the time that say 6.9 or 7.3 liter powerstroke. It just makes me want to call them and say DUH!!!!!!! I used to say the same thing about not wanting their repair bills, but my dad has an 01 he bought brand new that now has 190,000 on it and he hasn't done anything at all to it since about 70 or 80,000 . My grandfather has a 2000 model Excursion Stroke with 330,000 that has never given a problem since new. I bought a 97 last week, I hope I have as good luck as they have. My first Stroke, never had anything newer than an 89 before. My only worry is if something does happen, I don't even know where to start looking for a problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I'm a Cummins guy and if I was ever tempted by a computer motor it'd be a six-popper Cummins. Sorry, just the way it is.
I would buy a SuperDuty or an Excursion with a Powerstroke if the price was REALLY CHEAP as I like the body style since it's just a Dodge rip-off anyway. They just had the brains to make a CrewCab and an SUV.....Dodge had their collective head's up their butts on this one..
If, or maybe when, the P.S. had something drastic go wrong I'd install a rebuilt IDI or a Cummins and be HAPPY!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
This is that link by the way- I can't believe the prices on most of this stuff. So cheap!

http://www.ecompanylogo.com/shopcart...sp?store_id=17

I bought a t-shirt, hat and that license plate and with shipping it all cost I think $26. Not bad at all.

edit: Odd, I just went to that link and none of the images work, and it seems kinda messed up...strange, worked fine for me the other day. I dunno what's going on there.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 PM
goodB0Y
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just tell them...yes it a power stroke...saves me explaining it! It's even worse now that I did the conversion on my front clip! I agree that atleast for me the idi is a beter engine but when the time comes there might be a straight 6 oilburner under my hood! and then I'll have to explain that....yes its a dodge!!!! haha

Old 06-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
You'll never be able to explain to them that the motor is not a "Dodge" motor, actually a Cummins. I've had people tell me Ford made my Cummins, the Japanese made it, Tiawan, China ALL kinds of crap like that.
Good luck explaining that one! LOL

I really don't understand these people relaying info they "heard" somewhere without any idea what is actually the truth. Some of them have to be just making stuff up to sound important. Just about everyone on here will say so if something is just hearsay or unsubstantiated. That's one reason I like this site so much---not much B.S.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
goodB0Y
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
everybody that ever talks to me about my truck knows more than I do it seems...thank god cause I'd be lost if they were not there to tell me...haaahahaha!

Corey

P.S. your right DODGE this is the best forum around and the people here aren't too bad either lol

Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I've been on some Dodge-Cummins forums and there were/are easily 75% great people on there. The problem is the guys with new trucks that don't know what they have, how to fix it or it seems anything else, are full of crap: "the new Dodges are way better than the old Dodges because of this or that doodad" "all the other brands are garbage, they just fall apart in the driveway" therer's way too many "experts" that know everything and are never wrong.
MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE, I don't care what brand you like, is people who say this or that is the best but can't give you a reason why. It drives me up the freakin' wall!
Then there's the guys who know their truck, nothing about the others but they're all junk anyway.
Granted there are some vehicles/engines you don't have to know MUCH about to know they suck.
The guys in the IDI forum are the best I've seen, Powerstroke forum...a lot of good ones but too many bad ones. I don't think I've been there in a few months.
I never joined any of the Cummins sites as I was tempted to call idiots ...idiots. Which is a shame because there were some GREAT guys too.
This site has about 99% great guys as far as I can tell, maybe it's because most of them are OLD! HA HA!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Yeah, so them damn dodges...junk I tell ya!

I was REALLY close to buying a '98.5 quad cab 12V Cummins with a 5 speed last summer....I so wanted that truck, but I went out and test drove it and the thing was kind of a turd (needed a lot of maintenance items) and the guy selling it was a jackass and thought it was made of gold. If it hadn't been for the fact that it needed close to $1000 of repair straight off the lot, it woulda been a really nice truck.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
98.5 would be a 24v

Hey Dodge/Cummins how many wind shilds have you put in you dodge?

I also almost bought a dodge but there were no 12v for sale when i was loking and all the 24v had the wounderfull dodge auto trany thats good for maybe 200,000 if your lucky and close to 200,000 on them and were about 2 to 3 grand more than the truck i bought.

So now instead of haveing a truck with a bad trans I have a truck with a bad motor i sure showed them!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Oh and if you have something like NOSTRK "they" will be woundering how you got a gasser to sound like that.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dodge/Cummins
I'm a Cummins guy and if I was ever tempted by a computer motor it'd be a six-popper Cummins. Sorry, just the way it is.
I would buy a SuperDuty or an Excursion with a Powerstroke if the price was REALLY CHEAP as I like the body style since it's just a Dodge rip-off anyway. They just had the brains to make a CrewCab and an SUV.....Dodge had their collective head's up their butts on this one..
If, or maybe when, the P.S. had something drastic go wrong I'd install a rebuilt IDI or a Cummins and be HAPPY!
Oh, don't worry, if something drastic happens to it it WILL be getting a 12 valve. I'm still considering putting a 12 valve in my 88 Ford, the motor went out in it and I can't decide what to do, thats why I bought this truck, the old 88 is going to be a project. I have a 4-53 Detroit with an Allison Auto behind it, might put that in there. By the way, the reason people are better in the IDI forums is because people that don't know what there doing don't own trucks like that.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Yep,
'98.5 would be a 24V so it must have been a '98. My favorite one of the "newer" trucks: 12V, QuadCab and a short bed if you want one. I think in the future the '98s will be highly sought after for these reasons. When I was looking for a "family" truck before I got the IDI I was looking for a '98 5-spd. HARD TO FIND, they only made them for 4-months or something like that.

Still have my origional '91.5 windshield. My Dad's '97 and my Uncle's '98 haven't had any windshield problems. Is there supposed to be a windshield problem? I've heard they're expensive but I think it might be one of those old wive's tales I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Custom License Plates