Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Broken/stuck 1/2 injector

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
gov2mod
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Broken/stuck 1/2 injector

I just bought another F250, 1988 with 7.3 diesel. The kid that had it didn't know much and tried to removed some injectors. On one of them all he got was the top half of the injector and the bottom part is stuck in the hole. He had a square type ez-out stuck in the remains but I got it out. Any idea on how to remove the stuck piece? I took an old injector, took it apart, and screwed it in the hole just snug but not too tight. When I took it out the old piece still remained. What can I do to remove the bottom part of the injector?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take that old injector top, grind the course threads off that would normally thread into the head. The fine threads then can be screwed down into the lower injector half, which you should then be able to turn and lift out of the head. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soaking any carbon buildup with some PB blaster or Mercury power tune will help disolve it. Make sure no carbon and fluid builds up in the cylinder........ remove the GP and vacuum out as you clean the carbon out. If you think carbon and fluid may have fallen into the cylinder crank it over with the injector and GP removed to blow it out.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KJLYPW
Take that old injector top, grind the course threads off that would normally thread into the head. The fine threads then can be screwed down into the lower injector half, which you should then be able to turn and lift out of the head. Good luck.
I like this idea, but shouldn't the coarse/ fine threads prevent this unscrewing? So I would think that those threads are already damaged. Just a thought- If they are anything like the 6.9 there shouldn't be much to fall in the cyl. other than carbon (shmoots). I would check for the internal shims to make sure that they have not fallen between the injector case and the head. Basing it on the 6.9 design you could pull the center needle pin out and use the remaining milled injector head/unit (do not know name) as a means to apply torque to remove. I would not start with the outer case of the injector yet since it is probably the male portion of the injector head/seat that is frozen in the cylinder head. You can try using a vacuum while you turn it and remove debris.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
gov2mod- Hey, how did it turn out?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If I am understanding where the injector unscrewed at correctly, I would clean the lower half threads as well as I could.
Then do the same for the upper threads.

A generous application of Red Locktite and screw it back together.
Then let it sit for a while.

After the Locktite has a chance to set up, you should be able to screw it all out.

Just to the right of the nozzle but to the left of the threads is where the upper and lower parts of the injector seperate.

Is that where it came apart at?

If the threads are so buggered you can't get the two parts to screw back together, you may be into removing the head to get it out.

Also grinding the course threads off the upper casing should let you remove the lower part while twisting to the right.

Just turn it to the right while pulling up.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
My 7.3 did the same thing. I took the coarse threads off the upper part of the injector and screwed it back into the lower part of the injector. I then cranked the engine over for about 5 seconds and the injector popped right out of the head.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:11 AM
gov2mod
Tuned
I took an old injector and took it apart. I put the top half in my lathe and turned the course threads off. I tried to screw it in the bottom portion that was stuck in the head but it wouldn't screw in. When I removed it the fine threads were about wiped out. The last guy that had it had screwed around so much with an ez-out and who knows what else had pretty much ruined the fine threads in the stuck portion. I got out my little Snap-on seal puller slide hammer which has several different hooks etc. but none would work. I found a long (not long enough!) 5/16X24 bolt that would screw in the end of an adaptor for the seal puller and spend a couple hours messing around with the lathe and milling machine and designed a hook for it using the cup from the bottom of the injector I took apart. It looked like it would work great to pull the stuck cup out of the hole. That is until I tried it. Too short! I designed it to fit the cup out on the bench but the cup in the hole in the head was too deep for it to work. Back to the drawing board. I then found a long 5-16x18 eye bolt and screwed it down thru the cup and copper washer in the head. I cranked it over and nothing. I put a pry bar thru the eyelet and pried and nothing. I tried to pry and crank at the same time and it popped right out. I put in another injector I had but I still have not got it started yet. I took out all of the glo plugs so it cranks easier without draining the batteries but I think it's got a bad injector pump as I can get fuel to it but not out of the lines.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:52 AM
LilDuke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the ip inlet screen may be clogged.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:59 AM
gov2mod
Tuned
Is the screen just inside where the fuel feed line goes in or is it farther in the pump somewhere?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The screen is just inside the inlet, but I would be more inclined to point at the fuel shut off solenoid.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 PM
gov2mod
Tuned
Dave, thanks. Where is the fuel shut off solenoid located? I'm getting fuel thru the filter to the pump but that's it.