2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT or P tires and which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:18 AM
krazymatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT or P tires and which ones?

I am looking at replacing my tires and am considering the LT tires. I am in the process of better outfitting my truck to tow my Travel Trailer which is about 7500lbs loaded. I'm installing an edge programmer, an add a leaf, and new tires. I really like the Goodyear Wrangler silent armor, but they are not available in LT. Do I really need LT? I'm kinda assuming so. What LT tire can anyone advise? I'm not real crazy about BFG, and I'm thinking the more aggresive the better as this truck is not an everyday driver. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
The silent armor is made in a LT form.....not sure if you have 17" or 18" rims

hope this link works
Look for Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires by size in the Minneapolis Area - Discount Tire Co./America's Tire

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200"><tbody><tr><td class="productName" colspan="2" width="200"> Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="8" width="200"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tireSize" colspan="2" width="200"> LT265/70R-17/C1 112R

</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200"><tbody><tr><td class="productName" colspan="2" width="200"> Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="8" width="200"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tireSize" colspan="2" width="200"> LT275/70R-17/C1 114R</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="15" width="200"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade
Look for Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade tires by size - Discount Tire Co./America's Tire

Everybody I have heard from that have theses tires like them......

Many are running the Michelin LTX and like them also

Look for Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires by size in the Minneapolis Area - Discount Tire Co./America's Tire

Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
irishammer
Senior User
The P rated tires ride smoother but if you are towing that much weight the LT tires are the way to go! I have the BFG's and love em.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I put Michelin LT 255/85 R20 LTX AT/2's on my 2008 Supercrew instead of the 20" BFG AT's. and couldn't be happier. Very quiet, excellent mileage track record, mucho mucho grippo, and they look tough. In the 20's, the only choices were the BFG or the Michelin. Both are Michelin products. The BFG rep steered me to the Michelins. T's will ride tough over the P-Metrics, so be aware. I run 50-55 psi daily, and 65psi towing.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM
krazymatt
Senior User
I think that BFG makes a good tire, but none of their tread patterns for my truck are desireable. The ones that came from the factory only have 24k miles and are looking pretty smooth now.

I really like the GY wrangler silent armor, but according to a local Goodyear dealer, and to a local Discount tire, they are NOT available in LT. I might just go with the Silent armor anyway. I like the aggresive tread and they are smooth tires as I've had a set on a Chevy I used to have. They are about as aggresive as you can get without going to a mud terrain, and I need aggresive especially to get my camper in and out of certain spots on wet grass etc...

Old 06-26-2008, 04:22 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by krazymatt
I think that BFG makes a good tire, but none of their tread patterns for my truck are desireable. The ones that came from the factory only have 24k miles and are looking pretty smooth now.

I really like the GY wrangler silent armor, but according to a local Goodyear dealer, and to a local Discount tire, they are NOT available in LT. I might just go with the Silent armor anyway. I like the aggresive tread and they are smooth tires as I've had a set on a Chevy I used to have. They are about as aggresive as you can get without going to a mud terrain, and I need aggresive especially to get my camper in and out of certain spots on wet grass etc...

From what I have seen and heard in my part of the world the Pro Grade Silent Armors are a considerably better tire than the standard ones. If your tire dealer cannot access these look for a dealer who can. It should be worth it in the long run.

Now I just checked out the Goodyear website and the Pro Grades are available only as LT tires and in a selection of 17, 18 and 20 inch sizes. I think what you are getting from the dealer you are talking to is only the tires that particular dealer can access. Here in Canada at least Goodyear dealers are famous for having tires on sale, but when you go to order them they are not available and they try to sell you something else.

Have you even looked at the Cooper Discoverer ST tire? To me this sounds like exactly what you are looking for, an aggressive tread that stops short of being a full out mud tire. I have run two sets of these and have been totally impressed. The other tire that comes to mind is the Toyo M55 which are now made in both 17 and 18 inch sizes.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
Definitely go to an LT tire. I switched to Cooper ATR's and couldn't be happier.
i run 50 PSI every day and 70 when towing. Solid performance, quiet, and pretty aggressive for an all terrain tire. Beware of towing with mud tires. They tend to squirm on the blocks of the tire. I have 18" rims.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Get the LT tire.

I have the BFG AT T/A KO which is an awesome tire. I'm expecting to get about 80K miles out of mine! I too run about 50 psi in mine unloaded.

Here's my '98 with the GY Silent Armors. Good tires and great in the snow compared to the other Goodyears that came on my other Expy:

Here's my current truck with P tires:

And here it is with the BFG AT T/A KO:

LTs are the way to go. I personally love the BFGs and they will be my next tires.

Also, BFG claims 10% less grip than a mud tire.

-rockstate

Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 AM
rocdril
Postmaster
I have the cooper stts. I love them. Agressive looking, not to loud. Kept the stock 18" rims