4 trucks to paint; what should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Shade
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 trucks to paint; what should I use?

I have 4 trucks to paint this summer, 2 daily drivers, 1 hunting/secondary truck, and my Dad's dumptruck and I need some advice. What is the best paint for a beginner to work with? I need an affordable paint but I want a good outcome and something that doesn't require a sterile environment to work in. I painted my '84 F150 several years ago with Nason single stage and it turned out really good but the two daily drivers are base/clear and I'd like to have the other two as good looking and as tough as possible. The colors are: red/white two tone daily driver, solid white daily driver, red two tone hunting truck, and white dump truck. I'd like for this to be the first of many paint jobs, I love to do it I just don't have enough trucks to paint. Any advice on a set of paint guns would be great too, I found a set of three DeVilbliss guns for $185, I know they aren't the best but are they sufficient? Thanks for any help.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Red, white and Red and white eh.....sounds like you could go with 5 gal pails of red...and white!!
There's a couple manufacturers that are making a v. good SINGLE STAGE paint that goes on shiny and smooth, is somewhat forgiving and can even be buffed out. DuPont for sure....maybe Rustoleum..
Have you seen "the 50dollar paint job"? It's a blast - looks good and he ROLLED it on! 50 Dollar Paint

Anyways, I'm sure it'd look even better sprayed - even if you used same methods otherwise. As for guns, DeVilbiss IS good. That's a decent deal. Now-a-days it's all HVLP (High VOlume-Low Pressure), which is good for the DIY'r as you can get buy with a smaller compressor (need a constant 3--50psi), get less overspray and thus waste less paint.
There's lots of good articels on the web if you google DIY car paint job...or something.
Good luck!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
e-tek
Elder User
I shoulda said the most important part, but I'm sure you know....the key of course....is PREPARATION.

Last edited by e-tek; 06-27-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
just-n-time
Senior User
Wink first time paint!

the best paint I am sure are like the grains of sand at the beach. just so much to chose from. I used what my local NAPA store had, Martin Senoir, made by Sherwin Wiliams. I had not painted any thing from 1967 till just a few weeks ago, prep that and having a solid Idea of how you are going to lay out the colors, keeping plenty of kleener on hand and use it!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
just-n-time
Senior User
paint

my paint job as a newbe

Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2008, 11:50 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Nice work JIT! Did you paint it with that tarp over it?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
stangbanger
Senior User
Gotta love those ford blues!!!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 AM
55paneltruck
Freshman User
Good luck with the paint job. Let us know what you use and how it works out.

Jeff