N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Big V8's & Gas Prices/ Drill Here Drill Now

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Big V8's & Gas Prices/ Drill Here Drill Now

Considering that most of us here all have Carburated V8's in our effies and the price of fuel is surely kill our pocket books. what would be better then a solution to the price of gas. Not sure how many tree huggers we have but there is plenty of oil in the U.S.A that we can drill for if allowed. If You want to see Fuel Prices Drop Please Follow This Link & SIGN THE PETITION TO DRILL HERE DRILL NOW!!! American Solutions for Winning the Future

Thank You For Your Time
Earl W.

P.S. These gas prices effect the whole economy as a whole i'm so glad the the people that fight against this program have enough money to pay the prices for hybrds, fuel. Maybe the can give the FTE No Cal Chapter Free Fuel For Life? lol
Oh Wait they are the same people that want our old effies off the road huh?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:37 AM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Its a double edge sword. I am by no means a tree hugger. But I almost wonder where we will be in 20 years. What kind of world are our children going to be left with?

I think tapping our untapped oil is just a band aid fix. It prob will bring gas prices down for a little while. But eventually our reserves will be depleted and then what? Our current alternatives suck.

E85 is driving up the cost of produce. So what we save on Gas we spend at the grocery store. And guys like us who drive the old V8's with carbs, I am not sure if we can convert to run on it. Let alone it still contains Gas, which still leaves us dependant on oil.

Fuel Cell are a great idea. Clean and renewable, if only they made a way to convert our old pick-ups to run on them. Even if they did would we still have the same performance (towing capacity, etc...)

Bio diesel is another excellant alternative, except right now it cannot be mass produced. And I hear that if you are driving a diesel in Cali, that is running on biodiesel, and you drive past a CHP officer, and they smell french fries they will pull you over and hit with a ticket to pay taxes for the biodiesel you make yourself. Is that true? I am not sure but I do not doubt it.

As far as hybrids as concered, I would rather pick it out of the grill of my truck than own one. Or maybe do donuts around it in my mustang.

And electronic?? Forget it, I am an American and I demand performance. And electronic car just does not cut it. For a commuter they might be a great idea. But the last i heard they have a range of like 50 miles. Out here that does not get you very far. Certantily could not be used as a family car. Unless service stations offered a place to plug it in, but would they charge for such a service? Prob still end up costing you the same as a normal gas driven car. (My point being if you were to try to drive it for a vacation. Say 500 miles round trip)

But I will sign your the pettition. I just wanted to voice my concern that it is a temp fix, not a long term soultion. And unless we can find better alternatives, we are just diggin ourselves deeper into a hole.

Last edited by mcculloughrp; 06-26-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
yes very true to all of your statements and concerns and i totally understand. it does seem like a temp fix but if it can help get the american people back on there feet with jobs and lower fuel cost even just for the time being then i feel it maybe worth it we all know that the stimulas checks did not do it a wopping 600.00 per adult and 300.00 per child. here is what i did with mine. I filed Bankruptcy. i don't think that is what it was intended for but thats what i did with it.

Thanks
Bigearl1369
Earl W.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:32 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I have a question... if drilling off shore was suddenly allowed, how long would it take to get up and running? I am guessing at least 5 years before the infrastructure to transfer the oil and the oil platforms could be up and running.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:39 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
PLus...I wonder what the Saudi's would do if we (US) announced that we were now going to drill? I'd bet we'd take it hard for the next several years.

Anyone know how much crude (we the US) pump in a year? Including Alaska? I know we send a lot of crude to other places, but wonder what type of reliance we'd have on Saudi oil if we were able to keep it all inhouse?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
PS...I think the Hybrid thing is the way to go...they charge there own batteries. A fully electric car would hurt the PGE bill quite a bit.

I did notice the last time I was at Sacramento Airport in the longterm parking, they had spots for electric only cars and plug ins...don't know if there was an additional charge or not though.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
PLus...I wonder what the Saudi's would do if we (US) announced that we were now going to drill? I'd bet we'd take it hard for the next several years.
I think they would hit us really hard or try to drop prices substantially so we would scrap the plans for it. We would then go back to building and buying SUVS for our daily driver to pick up milk at Safeway. In 12 years, we would be back into the problem we are now. I think growing our oil independence AND growing independent from oil as an energy source is really important.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:03 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yes, you never know..you'd think they are tuned into to what we are griping about, plus all the petitions/actions/etc that the civilian population is complaining about...you know "looks like the natives are getting restless"-type of thing...my gut tells me if they we concerened that civilian pressure on government would/could force a change, they'd drop prices (even for a short term deal) to "keep us in our place"....but it doesn't seem to matter...crude still goes up (sure, there's a lot of other factors), and we pay for it at the pump.

Funny thing is our government...and just about every station I go to, they have this little piechart posted as to "where your dollrs go to", for a gallon of gas...i/e 30% here, 1& for the station..etc...thing that gripes me is the Feds could step in an limit cost to actual price per gallon...i/e...instead of the oil makers getting a percentage, they get a flat rate, instead of the station getting 1%, they get a flatrate...might not amount to much money saved, but seems it could easily save 30-40 cents a gallon for us.

I'd be willing to bet the oil companies and staion could both do just fine making a flatrate...ofcourse if I was in the business I'd fight it...I'd rather make 10% off a 1000 than 10% off a hundred.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:44 PM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Has anyone seen on the news that Saudi has agreed to sell us oil for a flat rate of $90 a barrell? I have seen it twice.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Most of the crude from Alaska goes to Japan, as would any new wells we pumped off the coast. The problem is that we do not have refineries to handle the volume.

We sell the crude to Japan, and then buy crude for the east coast, where they do have the ports and refineries to process it. Japan saves the cost of shipping oil "around the Horn" (tankers will not fit in the Panama Canal!) and we ship the pollution and smell of oil refineries to Texas, New Orleans and other gulf ports!

Of course, we pay for this. (Thank you, all you save the whale types!)

Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I be willing to bet you that I could build an effie that runs exclusively on battery/electric that could truly impress you over a quarter mile. We're not talking about a fiberglass body impression of an effie. I'm talking about original steel. Electric motors are way more efficient that piston engines. The problem is that we do not have an electric fuel source that can keep up with a tank of gas for distance, at any price.

But, could you travel 50mph for a 50 mile round trip? How much do you actually drive your rigs on a day to day basis?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
What the US government also does not tell you is that it is the leaseholder

and royalty recipient of most oil production and receives 25% of the gross

oil sales before we pay for electricity to lift the oil, propane to keep

the oil-water separators from freezing in the winters.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by wesFX4
What the US government also does not tell you is that it is the leaseholder

and royalty recipient of most oil production and receives 25% of the gross

oil sales before we pay for electricity to lift the oil, propane to keep

the oil-water separators from freezing in the winters.
You didn't answer the question. How far do you drive your Ford each day? What is your typical maximum speed? Some people, Tim for example, drive a lot and probably need gasoline to get to the grocery store. But how much do the rest of you drive?

I could get by with 50/50 (50mph/50mile round trip) almost all of the time, but would probably choose a smaller vehicle to convert. If that is typical, and you are willing to change the powerplant of the truck, it can be done by plugging it in at night and driving it with batteries and an electric motor.

If you need to routinely tow something heavy (and are unwilling to rent something for the weekend), you might be willing to get away with battery power only.

It is only a point of controversy worth discussing IMHO.

Chet

Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
You know it's the developing countries like China that are driving up the cost of gas.

If there wasn't a need for gas elsewhere we wouldn't have this issue. So, I say drill and we use our own oil. When we run out use our own natural gas to make hydrogen.

It was estimated that PG&E would only have to raise it's natural gas production 2% to get enough natural gas to run all the cars that we have on the road today if we were able to convert them all over now. I also say nuclear since we only use 7% of the rod energy. Other countries use up to 82% with a smaller waste pile. We can control it. I know the people that do it at the lab. It's a governmental control thing. It's really stupid not to use this dangerous stuff up as far as we can. You just have to control it with a program like we do with our nuclear arsonal.

I figure we have been able to do that .... I figure we can do this.

I don't want to switch over to hydrogen .... But, it is a good idea. I think then gas price would drop and we could use the gas for our trucking, boating, and RVing needs. I would venture to say gas price would go back under $1 a gallon if it wasn't in demand.

Just like electronics .... You can make it cheaper .... If you want to with technology at your side.

Can you tell I like science? The president just has to move it forward. Do you think he wants to..... Not on your life. He'll squeeze his money tree and pay back his pals until he leaves office. He'll make a couple speeches on what we need to do then laugh all the way to the bank.

It's just sad. It doesn't effect me even with a motorhome until it gets over $5 a gallon then it's cheaper to go to a motel and use a car for a get away.

Now the guys that should be striking are the teamsters. What's up with those guys these days. If US trucking came to a halt ..... You bet OPECC(sp?) and the government would find a way but fast.

Unions aren't what they used to be. You would think they are losing money by now and would have to strike..... ?????

Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I read that even if they allowed offshore drilling tomorrow, it would take 5-10 years for it to make a difference. I also read where the oil companies already have 40 million acres of land they can drill from but choose not to. And the lack of refineries has been a problem for years. The oil companies refuse to build more. As for me. I don't own an effie anymore (kids and matches don't mix well) and my Ranger gets 20+ mpg. Also, I have changed jobs, and my current job is only 2 miles from my house. So $10. in gas lets me go to work for 2 weeks. Still I think the rate at which the gas prices has gone up is ridiculous. It has gone up $1.25 a gallon in only 14 months. They can say whatever they want, but the bottom line is nothing but pure greed.

Quick Reply: Big V8's & Gas Prices/ Drill Here Drill Now