Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Senior User

hjsimpson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aux reverse light suggestions?

I have an 07 Black XLT and I am looking for a quality clean looking aux reverse lighting.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at the White night kit but i dont know how I feel about the looks, any on have any pics?

w w w (dot) whitenight (dot) com

Has anyone tried a flush mount installation?

Is there anyone that has used an OEM type switch/button to control their aux reverse lights?

thanks!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
wait right here.

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 06-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
Here is a great thread.

Most of the installation information is in the first post.

I did a similar installation on my 07 Explorer, except for using the upfitter switches.

My relay is tapped in to the reverse lights. This way only one wire is needed from the front of the truck to the rear.

Lights go on when truck is put into reverse.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/59...with-pics.html

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Senior User

SG1NUT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used $20 driving lights from Autozone. I welded them to the hitch receiver.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Freshman User

mjdoyle is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll second that suggestion. The "stealth" looking lights are the same lights that I put on my Expedition, and I love the way they look. I will try to get a photo tonight and post it for you, but I highly recommend them. I wired mine into my 7-pin so that I can disconnect them when I am pulling my TT. 55w lights hitting a white trailer sure causes quite a reflection!

-Mike
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
2008 Ford Expedition EL XLT
2001 Keystone Bobcat 280BH
Old 06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put backup lights on my camper that run off the center pole of the RV connector, but the truck's lights are blinding against the white trailer body and defeat some of the advantage. Taping over them works, but I'd rather have a switch on them I could access.

Any suggestions?

-- Chuck
Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Freshman User

mjdoyle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, I did get a chance to snap some photos when I got home tonight. Sorry for the poor quality, the mosquitos are extremely bad here in WI after all of the rain we have had.

Lights off. Hard to see in the photo, but that is what makes them "stealth"

Lights on.

Chuck S, If I am understanding you correctly, you installed lights on your trailer, but have a hard time seeing what is being lit up by those lights because of the truck lights reflecting off of the white shell of the camper. The wiring for the reverse lights is easily accessible on the drivers side by removing the fuel pump relay access door. This is actually where I tapped in to power my reverse camera. I'm not sure if the wiring to both sides is accessible from here, but I would highly doubt it. Alternatively, you could replace the spade fuse in the fuse box (passenger side just in front of the door) with a fused wire/switch that you could relocate to be somewhere under the dash. My only concern with that would be if there is anything else that is run off of that same circuit, but my guess is that you would only need to kill the circuit when you are backing up with the trailer connected. That being the case, I would consider using a momentary off switch instead of a toggle, that way you don't forget to leave it on... or off.. as the case may be.
2001 Keystone Bobcat 280BH
Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have some like SGINUT has but they are designed to be back up lights. The lense is a utility style lense that disperses the light instead of making a beam. They are available at Autozone etc for about 29 bucks. I think PepBoys also has them. They are made by Pilot and Navigator (same package). They come with brackets to mount them to a reciever hitch. On my truck they turned out nice and are sort of hidden behind the bumper. For some reason they are more expensive from JCW.

Here is what it looks like. On my truck they dont show up as much, but this will give you an idea.

Pilot Navigator Backup Light Kit : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

The second ebay link is for an LED light bar. If this suits your style it has tail/brake/reverse so its 3 function. This might look good. I don't particularly care for it on the older trucks like mine though.

eBay Motors: LITEGLOW 48 in TAILGLOW REAR TRUCK LIGHT W BACKUP (item 330136999347 end time Jul-13-08 14:57:45 PDT)
Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Anyone use those LED replacement back up bulbs? Do they work better than stock?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Fortune Favors The Brave

kw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputation
I like the idea of using the trailer plug to power the lights. If I have time I think I might install some this weekend. Seems like no fuss no muss using this approach.
Book Of kw5413 Chapter 2014 verse 02:28

"--You went out there to talk. Why did you kill that man?" -- "Conversation just kinda dried up." - John Henry Thomas
Old 06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
A friend of mine has those that plug in to the reciever hitch. I think most if not all of them allow a hitch to be installed while they are in use. The ones he has are nice.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Fortune Favors The Brave

kw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputation
Actually, now that I think of it, I have a White Knight rig in my garage. I placed it on my 2002 F-150 & 2004 F-250. I love 'em. Attached thru the receiver hitch.

They wouldn't fit on my '07 Suburban so I put them up. Out of sight, out of mind. I guess I'll dig 'em up tomorrow and see if they fit right on the EL.

BTW, if anyone wants to see how the White Knights looked on my F-250...check out my gallery.
Book Of kw5413 Chapter 2014 verse 02:28

"--You went out there to talk. Why did you kill that man?" -- "Conversation just kinda dried up." - John Henry Thomas
Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadma View Post
Here is a great thread.

Most of the installation information is in the first post.

I did a similar installation on my 07 Explorer, except for using the upfitter switches.

My relay is tapped in to the reverse lights. This way only one wire is needed from the front of the truck to the rear.

Lights go on when truck is put into reverse.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/59...with-pics.html

Thanks khadma...

That looks like what I have been searching for. I went to my local autozone to check them out and they are tiny.

Would you or anyone have any suggestions on a factory looking switch?
Since I have three blanks on the upper left side of the center console that is my primary location.
My secondary would be between the Aux input port and the cigarette lighter.

I would like to have the switch to do the following:
1. manual on
2. on with reverse
3. manual off

Thanks for the help!!
Quote:
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill
Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior User

Well I finally got a chance to get my aux reverse lights installed.
Thought I would share some pics and get some feedback.

I have the switched mounted just above the emergency brake release and is wired this way;

Up - manually on
Center - off
Down - on with reverse

As you can see, I left some room to mount another switch which will eventually be for a set of driving lights mounted in the lower valance.

I still need to take some night pics and post them as well.

Quote:
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill
Old 08-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Senior User

SemperFiDevilDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice job...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:33 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2011, aux, auxiliary, back, brackets, expedition, f250, flaps, ford, husky, jcw, light, lights, liners, mud, pictures, reverse, superduty, white