Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Transit Connect
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Posting Guru

Aftrmidnite is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Replacement for Aerostar

Don't know why Ford won't market these in this country, Welcome to the Ford Transit Forum | Ford Transit Forum With the higher fuel prices maybe there is hope
Old 06-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Post Fiend

Pablo-UA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I dont think so... Transit was designed like a commercial vehicle, it is like a e-series van, but generally with designed by pegeot diesel. Cologne 2.9 v6 were available too.

Yeah, "small" transit is of aerostar size, "big" is like E250-350.... Transit is a really good van, but to drive transit is like to drive breadbox.

But... transit engine and tranny fit aerostar. It was a time when transit was available with 2.8 TDI and a4ld. They used turbo-pressure modulators instead of vac. modulators... more boost pressure - more engine load... later 4r55e appeared, but usually transit has 5 st ore 6st trannies.

Ouh.... Transit Connect is a different FWD vehicle, not a real truck. it is car like a truck, sharing parts with focus, contour/mondeo and other ford cars....
Old 06-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Senior User

taurus8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You never know...Dodge/Mercedes Benz is doing well with the Sprinter, especially in the RV market with the Diesel.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Elder User

cookkd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Apparently it is going to be available here in the near future. Check this link:

Ford Vehicles: Ford Transit Connect - Commercial Truck

Shows different models under "Concepts".....

Klaus Cook
Houston, Texas

"Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a Convenience Store and NOT a Government Agency!"
Old 06-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Former ******

Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.
The problem is that the transit is really not a great replacement for an Aerostar at all, as Pablo can vouch for. The Aerostar is really unique int hat it is large enough to count as a mid sized van. There really is no substitute.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Posting Guru

Aftrmidnite is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I saw Transit vans set up for passengers, that looked assembly line done. Also on commercial vans they had the Hockey Puck locks on the doors just like they have here. I put the van up on a rack. Need to totally rebuild front steering and suspension, including all the bushings. Need exhaust system, can get by with new flex for this year. New springs in rear, new tire carrier, or rebuild old one it it's rebuildable. Had a vacuum hose hanging down from top, rear, left side of engine, so probably all new vacuum lines. This was done four to five years ago what a nightmare, with all the different size fittings that aren't availible. Sliding windows need new seals, that can't be found without buying the whole window
Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Post Fiend

unfortunatly there is only one replacement for aerostar - Mercedes Vito 639

Click the image to open in full size.

This is RWD van of aerostar size with sprinter engine. First generation was FWD, but you know why RVD van is better.

Unfortunatly Mercedes is very expencive. Expensive parts (especially sufisticated electronics, vito has 4-9 ECUs...., can lines, power managment units(SAM) and other modern toys). Rear suspention of vito is independent, like thunderbird's suspention, air matic (full air suspention) and AWD are available too, but vito is an expencive toy....

BTW... FWD vito 639 is not retired. Now Daimler Crisler make it named Voyager/Caravan... they just added longer nose for v6 engine and styled for grill/fenders to make it look like Voyager. Cargo version is sold in EU like Dodge Ram Van (smallest version)....
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Former ******

Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.
Question for you pablo, I know I would have so import related problems, but what would it cost to get a pugeout or duratorque diesel engine shipped to the US. I know this is a little off topic, But I am considering getting another Aero at some point in the future, probably a junker with a blown head gasket as a donor, and rebuilding the tranny to handle the torque. Just kind of a project to take my time on, but the engine is a big unknown. There are often a few good candidates in the junkyards. Also, how well do these engines fit, does anything on the van other than motor mounts have to be modified? Will they fit in a AWD?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Post Fiend

Engine, easiest to fit in aero is Ford 2.5 Turbo....

Made in europe AWD trannies for this engine are rare. Usually they are in rangers....

There are many transits in England. Try to look there. The cheappest shipping.

Try to use fully mechanically controlled '92-95 engine with 5 st tranny first.
You are to make custom engine mounts and DS.

Later engines with EDC had variometer in gas pedal... no throutle cabel.

P.S.

Do not use A4LD with diesel engines. Use Ford 5st tranny with Pegeot ore Ford engines and Mercedes 5st ore 6st tranny with sprinter engine. Belive me with manual tranny aerostar runs better.... much better....

The best engine for aero is Sprinter CDI...
But, oil pan mods, air intake mods and sufisticated mercedes electronics... You need a Mercedes Star Diagnose to work on... ($4000, $2500 - made in china)....
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Post Fiend

This is Mercedes CDI engine for light trucks and vans

Look at oil pan! do you understand what do I tell about?

off topic... Cant resist...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Senior User

taurus8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA View Post
off topic... Cant resist...
If the guy was in the little truck when that happened, I wonder if there was a brown stain on the driver's seat?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Former ******

Well, the A4LD can be upgraded to withstand up to 300 hp, and the 5 speed Mazda trannies used in the Aero and Ranger can't withstand the power of a diesel, they can barely withstand the power of a V6 gasser. I'm thinking a beefed up A4LD would be better. I would still have to address the OD lockup and OD engagement issue, but You mentioned they have a boost modulator?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Post Fiend

vac. modulator does not work with diesel. boost pressure modulators for A4LD are difficult to find, bolt patterns of diesel engines differ colgne engines and vulcan, so you are to made plate, difficult to find plate for TC... to many problems. much easier to get alisson ore ZF auto, but one more time... A4LD for diesels were made in Fr and were available on UK market. I guess, to find a4ld bellhousing for Pegeot diesel is possible. But I prefere to use engine and tranny + starter from one donor. Less headache...
Old 06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Post Fiend

Hah! check it out! BRITISH MAKES

I see many cars and trucks here imported from UK and converted to LHD... so I know a lot about UK vehicles...

BTW, I identified car... it was not Opel, it was British Vauxhall... but converted to LHD, so speedo was in miles... it was RHD clone of Opel...
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Post Fiend

If the guy was in the little truck when that happened, I wonder if there was a brown stain on the driver's seat?
__________________________________________________ ___________

may be.... may be... how to sell seats from this junck IZ (cabine - a half of Moskvich car...)...? What to say? No... it is not blood, nobody died in this accident... But I think owner will replace frame railes and bed, becouse these parts are very cheap on JYs and that's why so many made in USSR truck still run over more then half of Europe....

Tram weigt is about 30000-35000 kg... Too many kg for 1/2 ton truck
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Transit Connect

Tags
4bd2tc, aerostar, connect, ford, fuel, midsized, pump, ranger, replace, slider, swap, transit, van, vito, window