1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

dipstick repair

Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dipstick repair

a few weeks ago my dipstick pulled out of the pan. What is needed to repair it?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a kit from international that will fix it. The dealer may have it also.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM
wmiller
Elder User
i went to the dealer and they didnt have one. I ended up buying a dip stick tube and o ring. How does the tube fasten into the pan?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Found these write ups thanks to ROENTGEEP

Replacing Dipstick seal without dropping pan
Go to a IH truck location and get (Dipstick Mount Seal Repair Kit with instructions
(International) 1846146c91 (silicone, loctite gasket eliminator, adapter gasket, dipstick oring) the right orings 2 one big for around the big plug and a small one for the dip stick. also make sure you have a set of gripper clamps like doctors use or a needle nose vise-grips, to hold the brass part so you dont loose it inside the pan.
1 pull dip stick and the starter /yes you need the room so you dont drop the brass nut.
2. put the big oring on the clamp then grab the hole the dip sick goes in then back off the nut. check it as some have stripped the threads over tighting it trying to stop leak. if it is stripped then you got problems as it can only be replaced by dropping the pan. sorry i have not done it so no help there
3. very easy push the big brass in and cut the oring and get rid of the old. slip the new in it fits in a grove and then pull it back where it goes and thighten the not to just good not over tight so you stripp the nut.
good luck fficeffice" /> > >
> >
If you don’t get the o-ring that needed. Buy a new tube of the good rtv. Pulled the starter & cleaned the side of the pan. I used needle nose vise-grips (as suggested), and pulled the nut off. Then moved the housing into the pan. Pulled the o-ring, cleaned the o-ring & housing, put rtv on the o-ring & the outside of the pan. Slid the housing back in place & replaced the nut. Sorry to post so long. > >

> >
> >
Another part > > this one is ROENTGEEP's:
Here is a write-up I did when I had the problem.

Problem: There was an oil leak where the dipstick enters the oil pan. At the oil pan underneath the pickup, there is a "J' or "L" shaped portion that comes out from the oil pan (this is where the dipstick goes into the oil pan). In otherwords, the part is inserted from the inside of the oil pan and is held to the outside by a large nut that is located on the outside of the pan. If the nut is taken off, then the part will fall inside the oil pan. The leaking occurs due to the o-ring that is located on the inside of the oil pan that sits between the "J" part and the inside of the oil pan wall. Sometimes the nut will get loose and all is needed is for it to be tighted. In my case, the o-ring was broken so tightening it did little good.

If you ask some mechanics to fix the problem, they will tell you that the oil pan needs to be pulled and therefore the engine needs to be pulled. In there minds, since the dipstick part and the big o-ring was originally put in from the inside of the oil pan, then that is the only way to fix it.

Solution: Use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold onto the "L" shaped dipstick part.

Full Solution: Get a new Big o-ring from somewhere. I don't know the part number. From Ford, it is about $4. Since you will be taking things apart, there is a small o-ring that you may (don't have to) want to replace also. I will describe where this part is later. It is about $4 from Ford.

You need to remove the dipstick and the dipstick holder/guide that goes from the top of the engine to the bottom of the engine. There is one bolt at the top of the engine at the dipstick. It is a bracket bolt. When this is loosen, move the dipstick tube upwards and it will slip out of the "J" portion at the oil pan. This is where the small o-ring is located in case you want to replace it.

Next place a pair needle nose vice grips into the top of the "J" part. You do not need to remove the starter. At this point, it may be helpful to have a small pair of needle nose pliers down below with you, in case you need it, and have the new Big O-ring. While holding onto the needle nose vise grips, take the large nut off the outside of the pan. Notice that the "J" part is notched at the oil pan. Loosed the nut and slip it off the "J" part and over the needle nose vise grips. Do not let the vise grips slip into the oil pan.

The old O-ring is located inside the oil pan. It is very easy to take out and it is probably just hanging there. Move the old o-ring to the outside of the oilpan, slip the old o-ring over the needle nose vise grips, and then slip the NEW O-ring onto the vise grip handle. Continue moving the NEW o-ring over the "J" part and to the inside of the oil pan. The o-ring will not fall in because of the "lip" on the "J" part inside the oil pan that compresses the o-ring. Now just put everything back together, making sure the o-ring is properly seated in the grove on the "J" part inside the oil pan. The hole, and the o-ring are big enough that this whole procedure if very painless. Just make sure the needle nose vise grips are tight and you don't let go of it. My vise grips were size 6L. > >