Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2008, 10:06 PM
New User

traleivan is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 Ford Explorer XLT Service Engine Soon

I searched the forum and didn't see reference to this problem so forgive me if I missed it and am duplicating here...

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT AWD with a V6 (59,500 miles). I pull a boat all summer. It has never given me a problem. Last weekend, I filled up at a Marathon station and my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I checked my gas cap, checked my book and thought maybe I got bad gasoline so I ran that tank out and filled up at a station I have always used... the light is still on.

Is this common? Could this be serious? Is there anything I can check and/or do myself before taking it to the dealer? Is there a way to get the code for the problem?

Any help or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
You need a code reader to pull the code. Many auto stores, like Autozone, will do it for free. If you go that route or buy your own reader take a note of the code so you can post it here for advice. there are also other sites that list error codes and what they mean.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM
New User

traleivan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Lazy K. I'll go to Auto Zone and see what they can tell me. I'll be happy to post what they find here.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 AM
New User

wboeck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did anyone figure out the problem? I am having a similar problem. I filled up the tank which I suspected was bad gas but we have refilled the tank and the light is still on.

thanks,
Wayne
Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
New User

ridged43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought a new gas cap and installed it. $35.00 at the dealer. I could tell mine was broke because it wouldn't click. Disconnected the battery and reconnected to clear the code. SEL light has been off ever since.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
New User

I will give that a shot. I could probably find a gas cap at autozone?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior User

jasongt06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, they have a Stant standard cap and locking cap at Autozone & Advance Auto.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Postmaster

srercrcr is starting off with a positive reputation.
fyi...the light merely means one of the subsystems of the vehicle is out of parameter. Virtually everybody is in agreement that as long as the vehicle is still operating nicely and the fuel economy hasn't tanked, ignore it. Sometimes the computer will make an adjustment to the way it operates because of the sensor's message. Now the vehicle may be using excess fuel because a course correction was made when none is really needed.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 AM
New User

It is running fine. Just that annoying light. I know there is a TSB concerning the light and fuel gauge on the 2005 explorer. I perfer not to take it in to be serviced.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
New User

zachary thoman is starting off with a positive reputation.
code reader

I can't figure out where to plug in a code reader to a 2005 ford explorer xlt.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:19 PM
New User

sadiejane is starting off with a positive reputation.
look where your emergency brake release handle is on left side of lower dash
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Senior User

jgilrfr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i have the problem as well and its time for inspection which wont pass in ny with a SES light on,or so I am told.
early 99 F350 PAA#103[color=black],Riffraff 6637 kit,Redhead steering gear,50 cent mod,hutch mod,harpoon mod,bilstein shocks,diehard platinums,led dashlights,6.0 trans cooler,
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Senior User

jgilrfr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
having the problem on a 2005 explorer
early 99 F350 PAA#103[color=black],Riffraff 6637 kit,Redhead steering gear,50 cent mod,hutch mod,harpoon mod,bilstein shocks,diehard platinums,led dashlights,6.0 trans cooler,
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Postmaster

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
What problem, just he SES light or you cannot find the location of the diagnostic connector? Have you tried getting the codes read at your local auto parts store?

-Rod
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
New User

Mikeymoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
When filling up at any gas station, shut the car off.
The fuel/ evap system is typically a sealed system when the truck is running. When you are re-fueling, the "seal" is broken and over a period of time this can set the CEL light or service engine soon light.
Of course, gas caps can fail.......

Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
2000, 2005, cap, check, computer, engine, explorer, ford, fuel, gas, light, service, ses, updates, xlt