buffer marks on truck..grrrr

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM
FordPickMeUp
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buffer marks on truck..grrrr

I posted a week or so ago that the paint shop didnt paint one side of my pickup right it had orange peel.So the auto body shop painted and sanded one side of the bed it came out good.But for some reason and I dont know why they tryed to buff the orange peel off the door with a high power buffer.Today when my trucks in the sun the door has these really bad marks from there buffer going up and down on the door from under the window down to the bottom of the door.it looks really bad.I have no clue why they didnt just repaint the door to?anyway I was wondering if theres anyway to fix this with my own buffer?where they buffed the orange peel out the buffer they used made these marks that made the paint lighter all the way up and down the door.you think a rubbing compound or polish would blend it in better?I already been back to this guys shop 2 times and evertime I go back they make one thing better an another worse and they lie to so I wont go back I dont want them to hack my truck more.maybe a detail shop could fix it?I dont know i tryed to take a pic of it but the sun is making the pic not come out right.any comment would help on this hack job they did to my truck door.thanks all

Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
Sounds like its buffer swirls, and you should be able to work those out. Sounds like it needs to be gone over with a finer polish and pad, and also how you move the buffer makes a difference in leaving swirls, which are really noticable on darker colors. If they used a course rubbing compound and wool pad, that can leave behind some nasty swirls. One reason I now try to use only foam pads when I cut and buff my paint jobs, they seem to be less prone to leaving a lot of swirls. Then after they compounded, they may have just run a little swirl remover over it quickly without really getting rid of them, hoping it would hide them till the first wash.
If you have a good rotary buffer (not one of those made for applying wax) you could try going over with a a polish and foam pad to see if you can remove the swirls, if you feel comfortable doing so. If not, stop at a detailing place, they may be able to help you.
How to avoid swirls and holograms? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 PM
e-tek
Elder User
HOPEFULLY it's just swirl marks! Do what the previosu poster said, but if it doesn't come out - or get's worse - it could be that they (a) burned through the blend paint, (b) used blending clear then buffed through it becuase it was either too thin or buffed too hard or (c) buffed off whatever they put on AND through some of your original paint.
Again, try buffing it out yourself - use a gentle cut, then swirl filler...if it gets worse or won't fill and look good, go back and demand they repaint the whole side with enough clear to polish it properly!