2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM
bob schulz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is absolutely the way the truck is driven. I have an '04, 4.6 L, and on the highway can exceed 20 mpg. In town, running around picking up stuff, I get just over 15 mpg consistantly. This is in warm weather, not winter. In winter it falls way off as the temp. plunges.

It's a free country. When I see other trucks blow by racing to the next light, I back off, thinking about the next stop at a gas station. I love coasting through the next light, many times passing the truck that blew by a half mile previous.

I learned, maybe, thirty years ago, there are no cheering crowds of admiring populace as I floor the throttle and blow another ten dollars out the rear end. Hurry up and stop is what to avoid these days as Congress rapes our energy policy and is de facto trying to get us out of our trucks. IMHO, if I may be so bold. Later, fellow Fords.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
air1jpg
Tuned
There is the weight difference between the super-cab and super-crew cab. Is the size of the bed on both trucks the same? 5.5' vs. 6.5' ?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
I ran a few tanks (like 10) threw my 08 screw, but since my new job has me working very close to home, I switched back to gas, and noticed my mileage wasn't the same as when I bought it...I only have 7000 miles on it. I bought a bottle of Techron, and ran it through, and my mileage came back up...Amazing stuff...

Old 06-26-2008, 02:46 PM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Im consistently getting 18 mpg in my 04 Scab...even with the 34.5" tires, 3.55 gears, and leveling kit (creates drag i think?). I run mid-grade 87oct and every third tank I run 93oct. Its mixed driving...highway, downtown driving, and the HORRIBLE AUSTIN,TX I-35 traffic. The only thing I've done to it so far is a Flowmaster Super 40, and K&N air filter..... I just bought the EDGE EVO tuner...and waiting for that to come in...

Last edited by BatteriesNotINCL; 06-26-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: forgot the gears...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:09 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
I get an honest 18 on the highway at 70. Maybe a touch more as I have a bigger tire than stock. (I go 103 miles for 100 posted miles). '05 5.4,4WD w/KN and Magnaflow. This was also with a fully loaded long bed (hunting trip)

Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 PM
shemp68
Freshman User
rplatt56 4x4?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Reggie31
Junior User
Since gas has been over 4 dollars and I am a seemingly more poor college student by the day I have changed my driving style considerably. I have tracked my mileage for the last year and in the beginning of the year I was getting 13-14mpg mixed driving and now that I have decreased the amount of lead in my foot I consistently average over 17 or 18. Winter driving kills me when its all in town and then I get around 8-10 but I let her warm up considerably. Not acting like a child with a race car has really improved my mileage and saved me alot of money.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 PM
stvneil
Mountain Pass
mpg

my 07 kr cc 4x4 5.5 bed with 3.73 gears gets 18 mpg with 2/3 highway and 87 octane. just do not go over 2000 rpm. with 10% ethanol 14 mpg, go figure.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
bob schulz
Junior User
Just thinking about what we're posting about today, that is, gas mileage and how things got to this point.

Let's see now, politicians have stopped drilling and exploration from 1981 to today. Gas prices continued rising until now, 4 bucks a gallon and probably will be 6 or 10 if there is any trouble with current supply. The politicians who have engineered this seem content to blame others, go figure. And, last but not least, have raised the CAFE standard to 35 mpg, which no half ton pickup will be able to achieve in current configuration.

I don't know about you-all, but it appears no one gives a rat's pitoody about pick-ups or their drivers. At this rate it soon will take a weeks wages to fill up. There seems to be a plot at hand. Ford has responded by stopping the release of the new '09s. Someone is cheering for this and it's not me. That's what I've been thinking about today. There's something rotten and it's beginning to smell. No reply necessary as it may be interpreted as discussing politics.

Someone is going to have consider politics before we are all walking. We are being skewered. The whole industry could be at stake. Later Dudes.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Power_Hungry
Former ******
Originally Posted by bob schulz
At this rate it soon will take a weeks wages to fill up. There seems to be a plot at hand.
Sadly, for many people it already DOES take a weeks wages to fill your tank. Not only is the price of fuel completely out of line, companies are downsizing in wholesale fashion and people can't even afford to drive to find a job.

Ironically, the current government officials who are putting the screws to everyone are going to find themselves out of a job when the very people they depend on to pay the taxes that keep them in office no longer have jobs of their own to provide those taxes.

Oh well...

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM
bob schulz
Junior User
On the news today Ford announced a 41 percent reduction in sales of their full sized pickups. What I was thinking was that this whole industry now supported by pickup drivers, this web site itself, are being put out of business by theories about how other people think we should live our lives. And this includes the driving of pickup trucks.

It seems obvious that those who have long pointed at us, keyed our trucks, (it's happened to me) demanded that we ride buses, have finally found a way to make it happen. Let the supply of oil dwindle, deliberately ban exploration and drilling for our own, and then stand by smiling as we park our trucks, even as we need them for jobs, work, hauling, whatever.

I'm at a slow simmer for years as I watched this progress especially since this supply shortage is designed to change our behavior. I really don't think anyone will wake up until the job of destroying the half ton pickup is complete. The green theoreticians are grinning widely as we wring our hands over gas mileage. They love what is happening.

I only posted here because this thread was about gas and mileage and how many now are at the point of parking it. How could we have let this happen?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by bob schulz
On the news today Ford announced a 41 percent reduction in sales of their full sized pickups. What I was thinking was that this whole industry now supported by pickup drivers, this web site itself, are being put out of business by theories about how other people think we should live our lives. And this includes the driving of pickup trucks.

It seems obvious that those who have long pointed at us, keyed our trucks, (it's happened to me) demanded that we ride buses, have finally found a way to make it happen. Let the supply of oil dwindle, deliberately ban exploration and drilling for our own, and then stand by smiling as we park our trucks, even as we need them for jobs, work, hauling, whatever.

I'm at a slow simmer for years as I watched this progress especially since this supply shortage is designed to change our behavior. I really don't think anyone will wake up until the job of destroying the half ton pickup is complete. The green theoreticians are grinning widely as we wring our hands over gas mileage. They love what is happening.

I only posted here because this thread was about gas and mileage and how many now are at the point of parking it. How could we have let this happen?
I hear ya'. Our newest neighbors have a honda civic and a toyota prius, covered in bumper stickers proclaiming the end is near, and other politically motivated, sarcastic crap. They shoot me dirty looks when I drive down the street to my house in my truck. The guy (granola crunching hippy) approached me last night and asked if I could use my trailer and truck to go get a load of landscaping rock for him this weekend for his front yard. I told him that I wouldn't as long as he had those stickers on his cars. He looked at me like I was nuts, or the antichrist. My son just joined the Army, and I take offense at 2 of the stickers on a personal level. I wonder how much rock that prius can haul?

Next time his cat is digging in my flowerbed, I hope my German Shepherd doesn't get out. Then he'll really dislike me.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Field Scout
Freshman User
Next time someone in a Prius give you a hard time be sure to point out that his Prius is killing the planet, sure it is good on fuel and has less emmisions but the strip mine operations in Canada for the nickle they use in the batteries is causing acid rain from all the equipment they run, then it goes croos country on trucks (pollution), loaded on ships for Japan and China (pollution) where smelting plants (more pollution) turn the nickle into batteries then shipped(pollution) to Toyota where it is assembled into the Prius and shipped back to the US (more pollution through shipping). Once sold the expected life of those batteries is about 150,000 miles then you have a couple hundred pounds of battery waste that has to go somewhere.

Bottom line, I'll take my TRUCK and save the planet

Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
titanfan11
New User
FatalErrorz, That's hilarious, good for you. I come from 4 generations of service to our Country, and the people that take our freedoms for granted make me sick. I think every one has the right to their own beliefs, even your neighbor, but you also must be willing to suffer the consequences for those beliefs, like "NO ROCKS" in your yard. God bless your family and son.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
well before i but 33 on my truck i was getting a good 18 mpg now that i put them on im lucky to get 16 usually in the 14-15 range. i did a test i took off real slow at stop lights and stuff and did the speed limit all the time and got 14-15 when i took off real quick i got 16. idk how this works but im dead serious. I have dual exhaust and I dont notice anything different in mpg

Quick Reply: fuel mileage