1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Too nice to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:25 PM
MCarlson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to have 1/2 the skills it took to make that truck. Now, if it only had a tricked out fishing pole rack in the bed! There seems to be a serious lack of nice fishing pole racks around.
Mike

Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Truly a beautiful machine. I don't care how he gets it to shows. Maybe when the newness wears off he will drive it. Trailer Queens have just as much a right to a place in the world as supermodels do.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by eman92082
Jeez ! I don't recall anybody suggesting that the Owner is less than a good-guy.

The topic was "too nice to drive" which I sorta bent into "too nice to use as a truck".

It's a bitchin truck - I love it.

I'm sorry eman, I didnt mean it that way, its' this dumb computer thing, you cant tell someone's tone when they type a message at times?? I just didnt want folks to think he was a jerk or anything. I love the truck too. He' s a very talented guy and has alot of good ideas that we can "steal"

Old 06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
Trailer Queens have just as much a right to a place in the world as supermodels do.
For myself, I find it hard not to be able to ride my truck and only trailer it. Then again, if I had a supermodel, I'd have a hard time just looking at it, I'd want to go for a ride and at least see how well it performs. Your right, they are the same. Your point was well made..Thanks..

Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Thing is, there's truely some great fabricators out there who view automobiles that they build as a work of art.

I'd still have to drive it though, then have my nephew clean it...

I could care less if it wouldn't haul cotton *****

Old 06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
sandhillmike
Senior User
No, I don't begrudge the guy his truck, man it's a beaut. But if I owned it (and yes I would surely love to) I would drive it any time I felt like it. If I had the skills to build it, I would have the skills to repair it if need be. It's just my feeling that these things are meant to be used, not just looked at.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Imagine this...

We ALL just hit the lottery's. Millions in our pockets. NOW we'd own trucks we wouldn't drive, or drive very seldom. Just because they were slightly nicer than the ones we ARE driving...a perfect truck, towing a perfect truck to the show - have to get the 2nd truck there SOMEhow...

Yeah, it's easy to say we wouldn't build a truck we wouldn't drive...unless we had the money to build 10 perfect trucks...

Lottery's change people...believe me!

Well, everyone else but me...

R

Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Lloyds71Mav
New User
That is one nice truck and that is funny there was a Dennis Carpenter catalog in the seat. That I my Brother in Laws company. His Dad Dennis started it and He is running more and more of it now. awsome truck though.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,346 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Truly awesome, I love it.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice truck--but with the costs involved to build this ,I would invest in buying a whole bunch of 56s and park them side by side and drive each one ,and the ones that didn't run,well ---I would have fun looking at them!!! I met Steve and agree with Truxx--he is a nice dude!! Bill

Old 06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
wow!! a little simple but wow!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
nice , yep . but as everyone knows this is one of my pet peeves . i dont understand the mentality to build such a nice truck or car then trailer it . i've had some nice cars and i drove the crap out of them . that was the whole point . now i prefer drivers and i get really aggravated over the debate on these vehicles . they are the automotive equivalent of a "pretty boy" in my opinion . looks good but ..........

Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Aw come on.....

I can see how you end up with a truck like that. You start out with a regular old pick up and decide to tear it down to do some upgrades, you know, nothing major, maybe upgrade the brakes. While its apart you might as well add power steering, and look at that little rust spot over there, I guess that better get fixed, and you know, that runnig board has that little tweak in it that should be straightened out....and while teh bed is off I might as well clean it up a bit, this would be a good time to put a 9" under it too.....you know, chrome 4 bars would sure be easier to keep clean and shouldn't rust.......heck, might as well straighten out all the little dings in teh back of the cab and paint it while the bed is off.......etc,etc,etc..........

pretty soon....BAMMO!!!!!

Bobby

Old 06-17-2008, 09:31 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Aw come on.....

I can see how you end up with a truck like that. You start out with a regular old pick up and decide to tear it down to do some upgrades, you know, nothing major, maybe upgrade the brakes. While its apart you might as well add power steering, and look at that little rust spot over there, I guess that better get fixed, and you know, that runnig board has that little tweak in it that should be straightened out....and while teh bed is off I might as well clean it up a bit, this would be a good time to put a 9" under it too.....you know, chrome 4 bars would sure be easier to keep clean and shouldn't rust.......heck, might as well straighten out all the little dings in teh back of the cab and paint it while the bed is off.......etc,etc,etc..........

pretty soon....BAMMO!!!!!

Bobby

Hey, that sounds like MY truck!!.. How did you know?

Sam

Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Maybe a different title...

Hi Everyone,
When I started this thread I had no motive toward creating a divided camp here. When I said Too nice to drive, I was referring to my personal feelings and opinion. Just the thought of a piece of road debris coming up underneath and messing up the plexiglass bed floor would be enough to scare me away. there is no doubt the truck is a beautiful piece of work and there has to be a lot of money invested in it. I actually posted the picture just because it was so radical and unusual. Let's face it, this is not something you see every day.

It's a cinch that I will never have or build anything like this. That is not because I didn't like it or thought it was a bad idea to build it. I just happen to be a guy who wants to drive what I build and use it as a truck once in a while. Im think it's kind of cool to go to Lowes to pick up some material in a cool old truck and haver the guys that work there comment on it. I really do like hearing the question, "Did you build this?" Hopefully it will be asked in a favorable tone as opposed to sarcastic one.

I'm pretty sure that when I finish my truck it will probably have one of those 10 to 20 foot paint jobs and undoubtedly there will be some imperfections. But it will be sound and probably unique. Being a confirmed Darksider, I cant just let it be stock. Of course mine has already been defiled by some hack with a cutting torch, a dull chisel and a BFH. He put a 302 in it and he was apparently going for the slant V8 look. He must have had a Dodge and got used to seeing the engine list to port. He also did a hack job on the frame which probably ruined it.

Later Folks...

Quick Reply: Too nice to drive...