Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior User

KyleG is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question How do I dry wash my bio?

What do i need to dry wash my bio-diesel? and what does it entail...i dont really want to water wash.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 02:16 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
This is how Magnesol works:

YouTube - Video 2:The agitation process and Magnesol introduction

YouTube - Video 3:The wash process

YouTube - Video 4:The importance of final polishing

Very simple really. Just add in the proper amount of Magnesol, Mix mechanicaly! Prefilter, and final filter ( I filter down to 1 micron ).

NO washwater to dispose of, NO washwater to dry out, Clean Fuel!

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
I plan on letting it settle for 24hrs after processing --> drain the glycerin--> then add magnesol and mix for 30 minutes --finally filter it out @ 1 micron into storage tank.

Sound good, Don?

Please, do not text & drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwfq7Igvxc

-David
Old 06-15-2008, 03:58 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
That will work just fine. I used to settle for only 12 hours, but the new plant will use a centrifuge for glycerol separation. I have been doing some experimentation with this:

YouTube - High Speed, Glycerol Separation using High Voltage

Looks promising for small scale use.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Senior User

Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, that Electrostatic glycerol separation is slick!

As for the drywash, the filtration systems in the links posted look like some big $$$$

What are "shade tree brewers" using for final filtration after the drywash? Is anyone using a washable prefilter then a better spin on type filter for the 1 micron? Looks like the Magnesol makes a mess on in the prefilter.
Autometer 3 pod pillar, AFE 6637 intake & 4" exhaust with muffler delete. DP Tuner from ITP - 40t+80e+140+drive-thru+high idle, JW Valve Body, HPX, OBAnni, CCV Bypass, Foil Delete, AIH Delete, & Ported Turbo Shroud.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:23 PM

The filter set up in the video is close to what I used, but isn't necessary. Even a simple bag filter over a bucket will work. It's best to prefilter with a 5-10 micron bag filter, then through a 1 micron absolute bag filter.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow View Post
Wow, that Electrostatic glycerol separation is slick!

As for the drywash, the filtration systems in the links posted look like some big $$$$

What are "shade tree brewers" using for final filtration after the drywash? Is anyone using a washable prefilter then a better spin on type filter for the 1 micron? Looks like the Magnesol makes a mess on in the prefilter.
here is a "shade tree" or back woods style filter setup I built do to this, I also end up running it through a 1 micron absolute filter as it goes into the storage barrel. This picture shows just the bag, the bag in a fixture I built out of PVC pipe fittings with the cam lock and the setup on the hose. maybe better ways I don't know but I do get good results with this setup and the magnasol wash.

Click the image to open in full size.

I actually run mine through a 50 micron then 25 and onto 5 and to a 1 micron and the final is a 1 micron absolute.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be teh same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Senior User

Very interesting, thanks for the pic.

I like it!
Autometer 3 pod pillar, AFE 6637 intake & 4" exhaust with muffler delete. DP Tuner from ITP - 40t+80e+140+drive-thru+high idle, JW Valve Body, HPX, OBAnni, CCV Bypass, Foil Delete, AIH Delete, & Ported Turbo Shroud.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Google purolite. Then you don't need to worry about your filters failing to catch particles like the Mag. The purolite has other equipment needs but I think it looks promising. I have not used it but I would like to.

Also I recover all the methanol my fuel then let it settle for a few days and the left over soap settle out. Filter thru 1 micron bag filters and use it.

MonsterBaby could you give some specs on those bag housings you built? been looking for some thing like that.

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 PM

In over 4 years I've never had a problem with Magnesol, But I've talked to several people that tried Purolite, and switched to Magnesol ( including a couple on this forum).

Magnesol does a great job of cleaning up biodiesel, is relatively cheap, and is much easier than water-washing.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
you want info on the bags themselves? I by them from McMaster-Carr

The filter housing I built are done with 5" pcv pipe, I used the adaptors to glue onto the end of the pipe to adapt to 5" pipe threads then use the caps like you would use for caping a sewer drain cleanout (you can buy them at menards, lowes, home depot etc) I drilled out the end just slightly smaller then 1" npt and used a metal 1" pipe as a tap then just screwed in the cam lock into it. Idid have one that ended up being a little loose so I took a pvc female coupling and screwed on inside it for tighter fit.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
In over 4 years I've never had a problem with Magnesol, But I've talked to several people that tried Purolite, and switched to Magnesol ( including a couple on this forum).

Magnesol does a great job of cleaning up biodiesel, is relatively cheap, and is much easier than water-washing.
What were the complaints about the purolite that made them switched back to Magnesol? Just curious as I am looking at polishing my fuel a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby View Post

The filter housing I built are done with 5" pcv pipe, I used the adaptors to glue onto the end of the pipe to adapt to 5" pipe threads then use the caps like you would use for caping a sewer drain cleanout (you can buy them at menards, lowes, home depot etc) I drilled out the end just slightly smaller then 1" npt and used a metal 1" pipe as a tap then just screwed in the cam lock into it. Idid have one that ended up being a little loose so I took a pvc female coupling and screwed on inside it for tighter fit.
I have the filters. The PVC info was what I was looking for. Thanks!

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby View Post
Are you using the;
Heavy Duty Polyester Felt Bags with Carbon Steel Retaining Ring?

What diameter bag fits in that handy little PVC piece you constructed?
5-1/2?

I like how simple your filter set up is.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow View Post
Are you using the;
Heavy Duty Polyester Felt Bags with Carbon Steel Retaining Ring?

What diameter bag fits in that handy little PVC piece you constructed?
5-1/2?

I like how simple your filter set up is.
Yes thats the bags I am using, trade size 4 is the ones that fit in that housing securily. my 5 micron bag is part number 5162k18 if you find that one I use all my sizes off that same line except my final filter which is part number 9844k41 for a 1 micron absolute filter. I did build a enclosed holder for the final one that also necks down to a I believe it's a 2" short piece of PVC pipe that fits snuggly into one of the large bungs on a 55 gallon drum making it easy to filter directly into my storage drum.

I like simple too. Thanks

Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the info

BTW; I get a chuckle from your sig! Its so true.

SO, how are you mixing the drywash? Are you using a paddle or a pump?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
9844k41, biodiesel, demeth, dry, felt, filter, filters, instructions, long, magnesol, mcmastercarr, micron, polyester, settle, wash, work, youtube