Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ULSD- Whats the best additives to use??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 PM
countrykid_86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ULSD- Whats the best additives to use??

Just thought I would ask you guys what fuel additives you are using and popinions on the best and most effective ones. I have heard of adding a half a quart of ATF to each tank, does that really help and is it ok for the fuel sysem and injectors, it would seem to me that the ATF would not mix well or become suspensed in the diesel. I currently use Standydine or the Power Systems slick-deisel/cetane boost stuff.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:44 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
Stay away from ATF. It is not designed to be burned so not a good idea for a fuel additive. IMO the best is Schaeffer's Diesel Treat 2000. That what I run and I am very pleased with it. Take a look at this.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
I screwed up sorry. I am having trouble attaching a file.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:01 PM
IDPisan
Elder User
Here is a study done by Arlen Spicer that I posted awhile back with all the unbiased info that you can sink your teeth into. Hope this helps!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post5113217

Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by IDPisan
Here is a study done by Arlen Spicer that I posted awhile back with all the unbiased info that you can sink your teeth into. Hope this helps!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post5113217
Unbiased, huh? Who sponsored it?

Yep. That is the rubbish that I have seen all day long. Stupid "study" that has no real answers. All anyone needs to know from that study is "more is better". Don't need to know why or how.

PURPOSE:
The purpose of this research was to determine the ability of multiple diesel fuel additives to replace the vital lubricity component in ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) fuel.

Not one word about the score of <acronym title="Limited Slip Differential">LSD</acronym> though. That is what we need to know so that we can see how much more lubricity is needed. Yet they didn't even think to include that in their "study". What a load of crap.

CONTENT:
In this study we will test multiple diesel fuel additives designed to replace lost lubricity.

Really? How will you do that when you don't even know how much you "lost"? How do you know how much you lost when you don't even know how much you had to begin with? Did you test pre-LSD fuel? If so, I didn't see it in the "study".

The Engine Manufacturers Association had requested a standard of a wear scar no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels. Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that the lower the wear scar the better.

Manufacturers want score X? WGAS what they want. They want you to make the engine last till it is out of warranty ON YOUR DIME. Sure, they can advocate a 300 HFFR score. Why? If you get 101000 miles instead of 99000 miles, they are off the hook (assuming 100K is the warranty). Now, to add all the lubricity agents to get that 300 score, it might cost YOU $2000. OTOH, it cost them NOTHING. If it gives you 2000 miles more, they are home free. Whether that 2000 miles is worth the $2000 you spent is another story. Again, it is ON YOUR DIME, not theirs. Hell, I can advocate you wash your car every day in the winter. Your dime, not mine but if I am saving on paint warranty, it is good for me. Practical? Who knows. Good for the manufacturer? Sure. They can't lose so they can recommend the stars and the moon. What "experts"? Cite source, please.

Lower wear scar is better? To what point? With everything there is a point of diminishing returns. If it is mentioned in that rubbish study, that note escapes me. If I am hungry, I eat some food. Food is good. Does 30 plates of food fill me up any more than 1 meal where I eat till I can't eat any more? Probably not. At what point do you get the most bang for your buck? Again, missing in the "study". Does it make any difference to spend $10,000 to coat your door to make it last 500 years when the house itself will probably last say 50 years? I suppose if you love your door that much.

Documented cases of not having enough lubricity? Where? Cite source. Woefully absent. Sure, if you talk about the first days of <acronym title="Limited Slip Differential">LSD</acronym> to ULSD conversion, possible. Is it still happening? Who knows. I do know this. There are tons of diesel vehicles out there that are smart enough not to fall for a stupid "study" like this. Most of them are still running on the streets. If it were that bad, most of them would be part of the lines to the diesel repair shops. Talking to the shops, I see that ULSD in fact, did have an issue. My own diesel MB had leaks in the IP. Why? Because ULSD was leaching the sulfur out of the O-rings and shrinking them. Is that lubricity related? Not at all. Unless their snake oil puts sulfur back in the fuel, it is probably still going to happen.

The cost of the research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive manufacturers.

I wonder if they have an ax to grind.

This fuel was determined to have a very high HFRR score of 636 microns, typical of an untreated ULSD fuel.

And how typical is this sort of fuel? If it is so common, why aren't trucks lined up at the repair shops? When did you do this random test? During the first days of ULSD?

So, if I bring the score down from 520 to 460 like they want, how much money would I save in the end? Maybe they won't know but perhaps they can tell me how much more life it gives the average engine? That way I can calculate how much it costs me to get each mile out of it? Why is 460 the "gold standard"? Why not 350 or 300? Why not 400? Where is the graph that even shows wear increment from 520 to 460?

Sorry, to call this a study is to give it some sort of respectable name and is like calling the housewife a "domestic engineer". Sounds real good but actually meaningless. If we took this rubbish to any PhD student who will undoubtedly have done some research methods schoolwork, I'll bet they could rip it a new one. As far as I am concerned, that study is for morons to look up to. It isn't even worth the paper it is written on. Hell, even as toilet paper it would be useless since it would scratch my ***.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Run D2 and forget about it. Currently I am running the Schaffer DieselTreat 2000 but the results are still mixed.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
IDPisan
Elder User
Originally Posted by aklim
Unbiased, huh? Who sponsored it?

Yep. That is the rubbish that I have seen all day long. Stupid "study" that has no real answers. All anyone needs to know from that study is "more is better". Don't need to know why or how.

PURPOSE:
The purpose of this research was to determine the ability of multiple diesel fuel additives to replace the vital lubricity component in ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) fuel.

Not one word about the score of <ACRONYM title="Limited Slip Differential">LSD</ACRONYM> though. That is what we need to know so that we can see how much more lubricity is needed. Yet they didn't even think to include that in their "study". What a load of crap.

CONTENT:
In this study we will test multiple diesel fuel additives designed to replace lost lubricity.

Really? How will you do that when you don't even know how much you "lost"? How do you know how much you lost when you don't even know how much you had to begin with? Did you test pre-LSD fuel? If so, I didn't see it in the "study".

The Engine Manufacturers Association had requested a standard of a wear scar no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels. Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that the lower the wear scar the better.

Manufacturers want score X? WGAS what they want. They want you to make the engine last till it is out of warranty ON YOUR DIME. Sure, they can advocate a 300 HFFR score. Why? If you get 101000 miles instead of 99000 miles, they are off the hook (assuming 100K is the warranty). Now, to add all the lubricity agents to get that 300 score, it might cost YOU $2000. OTOH, it cost them NOTHING. If it gives you 2000 miles more, they are home free. Whether that 2000 miles is worth the $2000 you spent is another story. Again, it is ON YOUR DIME, not theirs. Hell, I can advocate you wash your car every day in the winter. Your dime, not mine but if I am saving on paint warranty, it is good for me. Practical? Who knows. Good for the manufacturer? Sure. They can't lose so they can recommend the stars and the moon. What "experts"? Cite source, please.

Lower wear scar is better? To what point? With everything there is a point of diminishing returns. If it is mentioned in that rubbish study, that note escapes me. If I am hungry, I eat some food. Food is good. Does 30 plates of food fill me up any more than 1 meal where I eat till I can't eat any more? Probably not. At what point do you get the most bang for your buck? Again, missing in the "study". Does it make any difference to spend $10,000 to coat your door to make it last 500 years when the house itself will probably last say 50 years? I suppose if you love your door that much.

Documented cases of not having enough lubricity? Where? Cite source. Woefully absent. Sure, if you talk about the first days of <ACRONYM title="Limited Slip Differential">LSD</ACRONYM> to ULSD conversion, possible. Is it still happening? Who knows. I do know this. There are tons of diesel vehicles out there that are smart enough not to fall for a stupid "study" like this. Most of them are still running on the streets. If it were that bad, most of them would be part of the lines to the diesel repair shops. Talking to the shops, I see that ULSD in fact, did have an issue. My own diesel MB had leaks in the IP. Why? Because ULSD was leaching the sulfur out of the O-rings and shrinking them. Is that lubricity related? Not at all. Unless their snake oil puts sulfur back in the fuel, it is probably still going to happen.

The cost of the research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive manufacturers.

I wonder if they have an ax to grind.

This fuel was determined to have a very high HFRR score of 636 microns, typical of an untreated ULSD fuel.

And how typical is this sort of fuel? If it is so common, why aren't trucks lined up at the repair shops? When did you do this random test? During the first days of ULSD?

So, if I bring the score down from 520 to 460 like they want, how much money would I save in the end? Maybe they won't know but perhaps they can tell me how much more life it gives the average engine? That way I can calculate how much it costs me to get each mile out of it? Why is 460 the "gold standard"? Why not 350 or 300? Why not 400? Where is the graph that even shows wear increment from 520 to 460?

Sorry, to call this a study is to give it some sort of respectable name and is like calling the housewife a "domestic engineer". Sounds real good but actually meaningless. If we took this rubbish to any PhD student who will undoubtedly have done some research methods schoolwork, I'll bet they could rip it a new one. As far as I am concerned, that study is for morons to look up to. It isn't even worth the paper it is written on. Hell, even as toilet paper it would be useless since it would scratch my ***.
Someone crap in your wheaties this morning? Here is the link for the study in it's original form. Sponsored by members of the Diesel Forum. I have found the info quite useful and informative. I hope you wake up on the other side of the bed tomorrow.
http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fu...itive_test.pdf

Old 06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Someone crap in your wheaties this morning? Here is the link for the study in it's original form. Sponsored by members of the Diesel Forum. I have found the info quite useful and informative. I hope you wake up on the other side of the bed tomorrow.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fu...itive_test.pdf
Same rubbish in different form. If you are disputing what I have said, feel free.

METHOD:
An independent research firm was hired to do the laboratory work. The cost
of the research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive
manufacturers
. Declining to participate and pay for the research were the
following companies: Amsoil and Power Service. Because these are popular
products it was determined that they needed to

Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
IDPisan
Elder User
The original poster asked for opinions on additives I provided him with a link to a study that I found informative. Many others on this site have also found it useful and informitive. You may have some valid points, I am in no position to argue with you, pro or con. The newbie asked for some opinions and you have panties in a bunch. Have a nice day!!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

The original poster asked for opinions on additives I provided him with a link to a study that I found informative. Many others on this site have also found it useful and informitive. You may have some valid points, I am in no position to argue with you, pro or con. The newbie asked for some opinions and you have panties in a bunch. Have a nice day!!
And I answered his question. Run D2 and forget about what that pile of rubbish said.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
23larry24
Senior User
I have spoken to an Exxon/Mobile engineer at my work place, and he claims that todays ulsd fuels have sufficiant lubericity modifers already added and there is no need for additive for lubricity.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 23larry24
I have spoken to an Exxon/Mobile engineer at my work place, and he claims that todays ulsd fuels have sufficiant lubericity modifers already added and there is no need for additive for lubricity.
By law they have to. If not, think about all the profit Exxon/Mobil made last year. Think about it and then some going to lawsuits when you see truck after truck die on the highway. If that happens, Exxon/Mobil is going to need a government bailout.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 23larry24
Originally Posted by aklim
By law they have to.
The reason the additives sell so well is the EPA gets involved in determining what lubricity and wear scar is acceptable "by law"

For some reason the EPA decided in 2005 that it knew more about what was acceptable for diesel engines than the EMA (engine manufacturer's association) and the folk who make the injectors. Once the law was passed the engine guys had no choice but to accept the EPA numbers if they wanted to sell engines in the US. The current lubricity and wear scar are acceptable according to law, but that does not mean their ideal.

Your engine won't stop running tomorrow if you decide not to use an additive. It's up to you to decide if the additive is worth it as a preventative maintenance measure.

http://www.enginemanufacturers.org/a...upload/192.pdf

Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
DIPETANE is the best Look it up at DIPETANE USA, also see ASE about it and Independent truckers Association.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by F350-6
It's up to you to decide if the additive is worth it as a preventative maintenance measure.

http://www.enginemanufacturers.org/a...upload/192.pdf
Lubricity. Regardless of the fuel sulfur level, ASTM D975 currently requires
lubricity specified as a maximum wear scar diameter of 520 micrometers using the HFRR test method (ASTM D6079) at a temperature of 60°C. Based on testing conducted on ULSD fuels, however, fuel injection equipment manufacturers have required that ULSD fuels have a maximum wear scar diameter of 460 micrometers. EMA recommends that the lubricityspecification be consistent with the fuel injection equipment manufacturers’ recommendation.

What we have is that 520 is specified while 460 is recommended.We know what the cost of going to it is going to be based on the amount of additive. OTOH, we don't know what the cost of it is by NOT doing it. As I have talked about, there is a point of diminishing returns. Without knowing that, how can we determine what is needed and what is not needed? To the manufacturer, if you can get more miles out of it ON YOUR DIME, it makes them less liable from a warranty standpoint. So yes, they can advocate anything because YOU are paying for it.

Without knowing what the effects are, how do you know what to do? IOW, will reducing the numbers from 520 to 460 give me 1000 miles more? 2000 miles more? 10000 miles more? Without knowing that, how do you calculate if it is worth it?

Quick Reply: ULSD- Whats the best additives to use??