6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New FORD JUNK

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 PM
richfaa
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Take a deep breath and face reality. If you want a truck to get the same performance results as a car, don't buy a Super Duty!!!! " Where did anyone say that??????

I am saying that the 6.4L gets the worst MPG of the big three. That is not a negative statement ..that is reality.
We are not disappointed in the capabilities of the truck.we are disapointed in the MPG as compaired to the competition. Either one of the other brands will pull my 13K plus 5th wheel as effortlessly as the 08 Ford and much more cost effectively. When I purchased the truck Diesel was like 2.50 a gallon..it is now 4.99..that would be a 100% increase. To day I would purchase the truck that did the job in a cost effective manner..that would be the cummins that unfortunatly is enclosed in a Dodge.

That F- 450 is a fine truck and if you are doing 11.5 around town expect 7 or so pulling 18K worth of camper with your setup.I would say you will be pushing 29K gross or better
as my F-350 weighs in at 9212lbs loaded for towing and you have got to weigh 1K more.
we know what that truck will do as we have pulled along with them and fueled along side them.
We just pulled RT 30 out of Breezwood..8 and 9% grades..The 6.4 made some noises I hope not to hear again and saw some guage reading I never want to see again..but..it did just fine.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 PM
begger
Junior User
Originally Posted by richfaa
The 6.4 made some noises I hope not to hear again and saw some guage reading I never want to see again..but..it did just fine.
Dare I should ask what you saw? Perhaps you were afraid the fuel gauge would hit the empty peg too hard and break?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
My buddies new Duramax can barely get 13 mpg, hes also got half the truck a SuperDuty is. I feel bad for you guys having problems with the new 08 6.4s, cuz damn there an awsome truck, I got the privlage to drive one a while ago and I didnt want to quit driving it, the power, the interior, it was all amazing. Made my 7.3 feel like an old tractor. And also, the new cummins arent doing all that great on mpg either, I work on alot of them and none of them seem to be doing much over 15mpg, according to the lie-o-meter anyways.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:43 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Adam totally. My buddies with new Duramaxes an Cummins are not getting the mileage the older generation trucks got. I also drove a new o8 an man it blew me away. What can you say awesome. Like Adam said made my 2003 look like something out off the dark ages.I tell you one thing if its not a Ford truck is it worth driving. Nope.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
[quote=richfaa;6272830

I am saying that the 6.4L gets the worst MPG of the big three. That is not a negative statement ..that is reality.
We are not disappointed in the capabilities of the truck.we are disapointed in the MPG as compaired to the competition. Either one of the other brands will pull my 13K plus 5th wheel as effortlessly as the 08 Ford and much more cost effectively. When I purchased the truck Diesel was like 2.50 a gallon..it is now 4.99..that would be a 100% increase. To day I would purchase the truck that did the job in a cost effective manner..that would be the cummins that unfortunatly is enclosed in a Dodge.quote]

Good points. Fuel mileage does become more important now than ever especially if you are towing the miles that you are. In my case towing our 17k for 3,000 miles this summer at 8.5 mpg verses if the Dodge could get 12mpg( i do not know that it can) it would save me $450. in your case 10mpg towing verses Dodge 12mpg would save you about $950. If you look at the total cost of ownership of the truck and Rv combined about ( my 99 came out to about $6,000 a year. but with truck and Rv prices now probably about $9,000 a year over 9 years. I still thinkk I would rather have the extra comfort of my Ford for the $950 for 13,000 miles towing. 7 more days and we will be coming through your state of Ohio. Really looking forward to it. Got my stimulus check in the mail to help pay for Fuel and Camping this summer.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:08 AM
richfaa
Elder User
Again..we are NOT comparing the older trucks with the newer truck.You guys are comparing apples and oranges. The numbers we saw on those 9% grades were RPM @3200, Boost 38, trans temp 237. Speed limit was 25MPH. We had to stop and cool down the tranny. We have no problem with the comfort of the Ford it makes the Dodge look like a Yugo, we have no problems with the performance. it is a awesome truck. If that new Duimax is doing 13MPG solo he has got big problems..If it is 13MPG towing that is 3MPG better than we can do. Here is what we are saying..again..The 6.4L has the worst MPG of the competition..by far and I am saying there was or is no excuse for that. We see folks here changing air dams, delecting DPF's and adding chips and programers to get BETTER MPG. If there is no problem whay do that??? Oh on that RT 30 grade..we were with another camper going to the same place he in another brand truck He thougft it was going to come apart.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
I love my New V10!! 12mpg avg. I do say it does not pull my trailer as easy as my 6.4
but it pulls it fine. less maint., cheaper fuel, cheaper fuel filters,cheaper oil changes,
I think after it breaks in and I work on it alittle I will be getting 14 mpg and a lot more power. But the is NO other truck EVER made that is as sweet as the 08 Super Duty's
But the EPA is really hurting us! And I hope they fix all the issues with the diesels!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 PM
spicetraders
New User
trade down

Throwing in my own MPGs and such, I traded my F550 crew with RV Hauler chassis dual rear wheel running 15 on hwy load on no-load and 9 in city no load and 7 in city loaded for a F350 crew single on rear. Hoped to get better milage but well I am stuck with 9 in city unload and about 8 loaded, and 13-14 loaded hwy and 14-15 unloaded. Yea I can pull a load of the line faster and tow the same load but where is the MPGs, what a waste using a lot more fuel just to burn some clean output need to find a way to burn the fuel better to produce rear wheel output the you get clean running and better MPGs/

Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM
richfaa
Elder User
With 388 hours on the motor and over 12K miles I am ready to say that my MPG is improving. I drive this thing gently, stay within the speed limit (sort of) and watch my guages, always have. I do use PS Diesel Kleen have used it since day one. I stay with name brand fuel. Flying J when on the road and towing, Shell, Speedway/marathon when solo.
We are in Northern Ohio. No steep grades, mostly gentle rolling hills or downright flat.
We do not live in a large urban area. My city driving would be described as light, below 35mph not a lot of stop and go.That kind of city driving reads in the high 12s/' 13's average.When we hit the interstate or turnpike 63/65mph 18's average. Today ran North toward Lake Erie on a fairly level state route saw as high as 20.3 and when we pulled into Home Depot Parking lot saw 18.3. Ran no faster than 55mph(the speed limit).
We have been paying attention now for a couple of weeks . I thought I noted a improvement when we crossed 12K miles. Have not towed for awhile so no comment there. That kind of solo MPG is not bad for a 9K more or less truck. However the Cummins running solo still embarrasses me.My good friend and Cummins driver just won't let me forget..although he sure likes this big ole comfortable Ford.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Mallie
Freshman User
I have dove Ford Diesels for a long time. Never had any real problems with any, including the 6.0.
Course I am very easy on a truck, and drive it to last.
I have got 9k on my 08, almost a year old. I think I took it back for one simple recall, haven’t had time take it back for the seat thing, so no complaints, except terrible fuel millage. I expect there will eventually be a fix that will help some. But I am reluctant to take mine back to the dealer and let them start playing around without some assurance It will result is some improvements. My last tank of fuel got me 266 miles, and the fill up cost $133. Not hard to figure what fuel is costing me a mile.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Owners have 2 engine module reprogramming TSB's

Trucks built prior to 8/03/2007 TSB 08-13-2

Trucks built 8/03/2007 to 1/03/2008 TSB 08-13-3

The reprogramming deals with regenerations, engine calibrations and EGR. This should greatly improve your fuel consumption.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by richfaa
With 388 hours on the motor and over 12K miles I am ready to say that my MPG is improving. I drive this thing gently, stay within the speed limit (sort of) and watch my guages, always have. I do use PS Diesel Kleen have used it since day one. I stay with name brand fuel. Flying J when on the road and towing, Shell, Speedway/marathon when solo.
We are in Northern Ohio. No steep grades, mostly gentle rolling hills or downright flat.
We do not live in a large urban area. My city driving would be described as light, below 35mph not a lot of stop and go.That kind of city driving reads in the high 12s/' 13's average.When we hit the interstate or turnpike 63/65mph 18's average. Today ran North toward Lake Erie on a fairly level state route saw as high as 20.3 and when we pulled into Home Depot Parking lot saw 18.3. Ran no faster than 55mph(the speed limit).
We have been paying attention now for a couple of weeks . I thought I noted a improvement when we crossed 12K miles. Have not towed for awhile so no comment there. That kind of solo MPG is not bad for a 9K more or less truck. However the Cummins running solo still embarrasses me.My good friend and Cummins driver just won't let me forget..although he sure likes this big ole comfortable Ford.
Are you sure the Cummins is a 6.7 and not a 5.9. I try to keep up with what the other guys are doing, and the 6.7 does not seem to do a whole lot better than the Ford for mileage. The 5.9 is a different story though.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
richfaa
Elder User
No the cummins is the new 6.7..I can sit in the right seat on a long drive and check the MPG at will. I am not reporting what we read on forums or what "we heard" or what my friends buddy told me. We are in the truck looking at the MPG.. The cummins does much better.. That is not a negitive..just reality.. Hope Ford can do something to close the gap. Now the Dodge is a different trruck..much lighter for one thing so we would not expect the same MPG

Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dodge MPG read out is known as a lie-o-meter. Most people say that thing is off as much as 5 MPG. The average 6.7 mileage I've seen is around 12-13 city, 15 highway

Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
B-52
Freshman User
Yeah both my buddies 6.7 is 13 city 15 highway. Ford is right there with them and I have riden in both of their trucks as well!!!! Now the 5.9 makes everything look bad...

Quick Reply: New FORD JUNK