Notices

DIY truck bed liners???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
atomicjoe23
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY truck bed liners???

Is there any other DIY roll-on truck bed liners besides Duplicolor and Herculiner?

I called and both of them are the hard liners. . .I would like the soft rubbery liner.

Thanks,

Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
If you plan on actually using the liner to protect the truck (instead of just for looks) the DIY liners don't stand up to much use.

Do you want the soft liner to prevent skidding of cargo, or to protect your knees?
Have you thought of getting a bedrug?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
atomicjoe23
Senior User
I wanted the soft liner because we are gonna have the dogs in it all the time and they don't like the hard liners. . .yeah, yeah, I know. . .the dogs are being wusses. . .oh well it's their bare feet not mine!

I don't want the bed rug. . .because then I'm gonna have to vacuum/wash it all the time. . .it will stink. . .eventually rot, etc. etc. etc.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
The texture of those (herculiner and duplicolor) are a result of how they are applied and they dull quickly. The herculiner kit comes with a very porous roller, if you used a less porous roller, the finish will be smoother.

Prep work is the key with any of the bedliners. Now the two part epoxy liners line Line-x are going to last longer, but you can help extend the life of the consumer level products. You need a really rough surface for the liner to adhere to, you can use a brillo pad, sand paper, ect, but you need to do a good job of scuffing the paint off. Then you need to remove all of the dust from scuffing, clean towels and rubbing alcohol will do.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Alon@ModBargains
Senior User
Originally Posted by atomicjoe23
I wanted the soft liner because we are gonna have the dogs in it all the time and they don't like the hard liners. . .yeah, yeah, I know. . .the dogs are being wusses. . .oh well it's their bare feet not mine!

I don't want the bed rug. . .because then I'm gonna have to vacuum/wash it all the time. . .it will stink. . .eventually rot, etc. etc. etc.
Where did you get that information about the bedrug?

I have 2 dogs, a German shepard and a golden retriever and both love being in the back of the truck. I have a camper shell with a bedrug and absolutely love the bedrug. I have had it in the truck for 2-3 years now and it still looks like new, no smell, no rotting or anything.

The bedrug is not a normal carpet, it can take ALOT of abuse and I highly recommend trying it out.

Get $10 off BedRug carpet bedliner:Use coupon code "bedrug10":

Let me know if you have any questions

Alon

Old 06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
How does the bed rug do in non-enclosed beds? I've always recommended them with a cover, it is a really nice product. However, I've noticed how leaves and such rot in open beds and worried about it getting ingrained in the carpet.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:00 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Originally Posted by atomicjoe23

If it's for your dogs, I would just put in a large rubber mat or a piece of astro turf. That way you can take it out a wash it easily, also I would use a light color, black gets HOT. That probably doesn't feel too good on your buddy's paws......

Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Alon@ModBargains
Senior User
Originally Posted by ReAX
How does the bed rug do in non-enclosed beds? I've always recommended them with a cover, it is a really nice product. However, I've noticed how leaves and such rot in open beds and worried about it getting ingrained in the carpet.
I've had sand/snow/rocks/dirt in the bedrug (when the shell was off) and it always cleans up nicely. The most i've ever done to clean it was hosing it off, sprayin it with some simple green and hosing it back down. If you are worried about things rotting in the bed, you should probably take said items out of the bed before it rots.

Let me know if you have any other quesions