General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Looking for a good chain saw

Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Looking for a good chain saw

This is one tool that I don't have and am looking to get. Will not be using it alot just for trimming trees and cutting them up after storms and such...

What is prompting me to get one is that I need to take down two trees that are about 30 maybe 35 foot high and 12"-14" trunk diameter.

I am looking at sears, TSC and Northern tool and equipment, they have Husqvarna, poulan, and of course craftsman at sears.

I have a Poulan two stage 8hp 24" snow thrower which works very well, so Poulan would be a good brand along with Husqvarna, I have heard both being good. Not the biggest fan of craftsman but not ruling them out either.

Heres what I know

-Really don't want to spend more then $200.00
-min. of 40cc...I think?

Heres what I need to know

-Get the 16", 18", 20"? (like I said biggest diameter I would be cutting would most likely be 12"-14")

-Which brands do you guys have? still running good? How long have you had them?

-Looked at Stihl but they looked over priced to me?

here's a few that I am looking at

Poulan Pro 20 in. 46cc 2-Cycle Chain Saw

Poulan Pro 20 in. 46cc 2-Cycle Chain Saw - Model 952802169 at Sears.com

Poulan Pro 18 IN. GAS 42cc CHAINSAW

Poulan Pro 18 IN. GAS CHAINSAW - Model 952802145 at Sears.com

Craftsman 40cc, 18 in. Gas Chain Saw

Craftsman 40cc, 18 in. Gas Chain Saw - Model 35835181 at Sears.com

Husqvarna 142 Chainsaw, 16 in, 40cc
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_36361_______14455|14456 |14458|36361?listingPage=true

Thanks for the help!
-Josh

Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,579 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Stihl will be the reply you get the most.

I bought two craftsman jobs. The first had the clutch INBOARD of the chain. The smaller retaining washer wasn't big enough to keep the chain on while limbing a tree, which allowed twigs to be sucked in there popping the chain right off.

A better chain would not have loosened up as quickly, but I did tighten it to specs and when hot, it loosened up just enough to jump.

My old Mac had the clutch outboard of the chain. And, the second Craftsman has it that way too. It's a cold blooded bastid, and you need a special tool to adjust it.

Anyway, just look for that design element no matter what you buy, and you'll be getting a LOT more replies.

You can search "chainsaw" and find the old threads here and in the garage section.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I would not buy anthing except a Husky or a Stihl. I also don't use mine a lot, but when I use it I want it to be capable, start easily, be safe, and have good service. When it comes to small motors, a chainsaw is one that is likely to need a tuneup.

Get the 18" bar, minimum. Anything smaller is just a toy.

Between Husky and Stihl, I would choose the brand that had the best service and selection in your location.

If you really will only use it at home, consider a Stihl electric. They are not cheap, but then you'll never have to crank it or worry about stale gas.

Unfortunately you cannot get a good machine for $200 these days. But an extra $100 may save you much frustration a few years from now.

Bill

Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Didn't see your Husky link the first time. That's really not bad looking for $200. That's a quality saw, and IIRC you can put an 18" bar on that saw later on if you choose. They don't put the bucking teeth on the small ones anymore, and that's too bad if you are cutting down standing timber.

I would step up to this one:
Tractor Supply Company - Husqvarna Chainsaw, 18 in, 45CC

But as long as you skip those Poulanski's you will be okay.

Bill

Old 06-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Stihl will be the reply you get the most.

I bought two craftsman jobs. The first had the clutch INBOARD of the chain. The smaller retaining washer wasn't big enough to keep the chain on while limbing a tree, which allowed twigs to be sucked in there popping the chain right off.

A better chain would not have loosened up as quickly, but I did tighten it to specs and when hot, it loosened up just enough to jump.

My old Mac had the clutch outboard of the chain. And, the second Craftsman has it that way too. It's a cold blooded bastid, and you need a special tool to adjust it.

Anyway, just look for that design element no matter what you buy, and you'll be getting a LOT more replies.

You can search "chainsaw" and find the old threads here and in the garage section.
Thanks for the heads up

Originally Posted by bpounds
I would not buy anthing except a Husky or a Stihl. I also don't use mine a lot, but when I use it I want it to be capable, start easily, be safe, and have good service. When it comes to small motors, a chainsaw is one that is likely to need a tuneup.

Get the 18" bar, minimum. Anything smaller is just a toy.

Between Husky and Stihl, I would choose the brand that had the best service and selection in your location.

If you really will only use it at home, consider a Stihl electric. They are not cheap, but then you'll never have to crank it or worry about stale gas.

Unfortunately you cannot get a good machine for $200 these days. But an extra $100 may save you much frustration a few years from now.

Bill
I will be using it just about every place but home expect on the occasional use, I'm self employed so it will be travling with me from job to job, so electric is out of the question

I know what you mean, I don't want to pay 150.00 for a cheap one then in a year be buying another one for 150.00 when I could have bought a good one for 300.00 to begin with!

Didn't see your Husky link the first time. That's really not bad looking for $200. That's a quality saw, and IIRC you can put an 18" bar on that saw later on if you choose. They don't put the bucking teeth on the small ones anymore, and that's too bad if you are cutting down standing timber.

I would step up to this one:
Tractor Supply Company - Husqvarna Chainsaw, 18 in, 45CC

But as long as you skip those Poulanski's you will be okay.

Bill
Thats looks good too, I will give another look at the stihl also

Any reason for not liking the Poulan?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
Any reason for not liking the Poulan?
Well, there's Husky and Stihl, and then there's everything else. You won't ever see a professional lugging a Poulan. Not even a gay lumberjack.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Well, there's Husky and Stihl, and then there's everything else. You won't ever see a professional lugging a Poulan. Not even a gay lumberjack.

Well thats a good enough answer for me....lol

EDIT: I was just reading the reviews at sears for the Poulan and they all suck!!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought a used jonsered from a logging friend down in texas he used it daily for 3 years now ive had it for 3 years myself and its still doing a fine job! we cut all of the fire wood to heat my moms house and ours for the wood heater and the BBQ pit. JONSERED CHAINSAW SUPERSTORE - JONSERED CHAINSAWS - CHAIN SAWS AND CHAIN SAW PRODUCTS - STIHL / HUSQVARNA / JONSERED / ECHO / MCCULLOUCH / POULAN COMPARISON PAGE. ive got the 2171 awsome saw but ill warn ya you wont get one for 200bucks!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
J Hodges
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a poulan wild thing with 18' bar and I hate it. It is very hard to crank. I have heard good things about husquavarna and stihl

Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks man I just shot rootbeer out my nose.

Josh you'd be best off starting with a decent saw, like bpounds said you've got Stihl, husky, and then the rest of the crap. I'm a sthil man myself, my dad was a professional arborist for 30 years he'd kick my butt if I bought anything else. For durability and ease of use you can't beat a Sthil. I inherited my dad's old Stihl, its a model 1130 I believe. Its at least 25 years old, its been run hard for thousands of hours, its been dropped out of trees, its worked through some of the most severe weather conditions Iowa has ever seen. Although a 120cc engine and a 36 inch bar is pretty much over kill for anything you or I would ever do. It does make a nice headboard decoration though.

I've got a Stihl MS 210 that I really like, was about 220 bucks brand new although I've seen them used for as cheap as 75. Its a fairly light saw only weighs about 12 pounds with a 16 inch bar, also makes good power for a 35 cc engine. I've hacked through some pretty nasty timber with it and its always ran perfect. I also own MS 390, but that might be a little on the big side for just simple around the house stuff.

I think you'll be pretty happy with anything in the MS 210 - MS 290 range. I've owned 6 Stihls so far and I've been nothing but happy with all of them. Also don't be afraid to look around at used saws, buy from a trusted retailer and you can get way more saw for the money. Stick around the 40CC range with a 16-20 inch bar and it'll chew through everything you can throw at it.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
jimbo beam, thanks for the information and after checking it out I cant really find any good used ones for sale in my area and new they are more then I would like to spend so I think I am going to get the next best, Husky.

Well with everybody's help I think I narrowed it down to these two

Tractor Supply Company - Husqvarna 142 Chainsaw, 16 in, 40cc

AND

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44257_______14455|14456 |14458|44257?listingPage=true

Now I just need to figure out if I really need the 18" bar over the 16"

If there wasn't a 100.00 buck difference I could care less but there is.

I know Bpounds you said get 18" min. but how much more can you really do over a 16"?

What do you guys think?

Also can you add a bigger bar later if you want?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a Husky 141 (16" bar) in my landscaping business. that is a nice little saw for trimming and smaller cutting jobs.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,626 Likes on 1,118 Posts
stihl ! next question?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first gas saw was a Poulan 18" Wildthing, unfortunately, the quality has gone from passable to bad. When a customer had one with that new chain system and couldn't keep a chain on it, like so many others, I had him return it to Lowes for a Husky 350. Now he is happy.

> Looked at Stihl but they looked over priced to me?

More expensive, but, usually worth the money.

> -Really don't want to spend more then $200.00

For the Stihl, that would leave the MS-180c. I had one and it was a great "little" saw with the 14" bar, especially when I went with the more aggressive aftermarket chain. For what you need, storm clean up and such, it is perfect being so light. I traded up to a little larger MS-250 for my backup/limbing saw, but that is much heavier and much more $. I might buy another MS-180c again.

For the Husky, it is more then $200 and much more CC, but, I would go right to the 350.

Last edited by rebocardo; 06-12-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would not buy anthing except a Husky or a Stihl. Got to agree with this!! I have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Details
3.4 cu.inch / 55.5 cm³
3.4 hp / 2.5 kW
13-20" / 33-50 cm
12.8 lbs / 5.8 kg

Little more $ than you want to spend.. Good solid simple saw..
Price: $379.95

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a good chain saw