1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Turn signal won't blink

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Metdawg44
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signal won't blink

The turn signals in my 69 F-100 won't blink. Actually the left one won't blink and sometimes the right side doesn't want to blink. I've check the fuse and all of the bulbs and they're OK. I've read somethning about a turn signal flasher but am unsure about this. This isn't the same as the turn signal switch is it?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Metdawg44
The turn signals in my 69 F-100 won't blink. Actually the left one won't blink and sometimes the right side doesn't want to blink. I've check the fuse and all of the bulbs and they're OK. I've read somethning about a turn signal flasher but am unsure about this. This isn't the same as the turn signal switch is it?
Not the same as the switch, but it is near the switch, under the dash, it is round and will have 2 or 3 wires pluged into it. Mine truck has the flasher cliped onto the back of the switch.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the other option is to just do it by hand and flick the lever up and down and up and down...ok thats not a good idea i know. but if you go to your auto parts store they will have the flasher for a few bucks and then just look for something that looks like what you have in your hand and swap them out.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
Like said, the flasher is behind the instument panel. You can pull it to access the flasher or it might be hanging down underneath. I think the emergency flasher is back there as well. Try swapping them (if your e flashers work) to trouble shoot the problem. I keep an extra flasher in the glovebox. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Metdawg44
Junior User
I looked at the bulbs (all good), the fuse (good) and relaced the turn signal flasher. The left front blinker still dioes not work. I noticed that there is a faint current going through the bulb so I pushed hard on the bulb and it lit up completely. It appears that the bulb is not making good contact in the socket. There is a spring behind the socket to make the bulb fit tight but I can't see how you can get to it to make adjustments. Any suggestions?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Replace the bulb if the lead contact on the bottom of the bulb is not good. Over time it can flatten out and can cause this problem.

Also replacing the lamp socket itself. There are (or were) kits you can buy to replace the socket and spring.

Failing that, How is the lamp housing? is it rusted or does it have it's shiney reflective finish still? Replacing the housing would also do the trick.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
For the flasher to work - there has to be enough current flow to make the element inside heat up/build a magnetic field and break the contact.

All of this sounds like a bad ground to me.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Metdawg44
Junior User
I think it may be in the turn signal switch. When I put on the emergency flashers all lights blink rapidly, the way they should.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it may be in the turn signal switch. When I put on the emergency flashers all lights blink rapidly, the way they should.
Greywolf is right, and your earlier post about the light bulb not making good contact in the socket. This has to be corrected.

Also, your front turn signal lamps gets it's ground through the metal housings, if they are corroded, then this can cause a ground fault.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's the turn signal switch. When turn signal lights are intermittent, it's the switch. I bet that your taillights are intermittent too. If that's true then it's definitely the switch. Just about every 67-72 truck owner has had this problem. Remove your steering wheel and you'll find a bunch of little plastic parts in the column and you'll find a ton of play in the switch itself.

The real bummer is that new TS switches are junk and will fall apart in a year or two. They're a poorly designed set of moving parts that are flimsily made of cheap plastic. The first time I installed a new ts switch my neighbor borrowed my truck and broke the cancelling cam for both directions. I wanted to blame him but couldn't. This is the only vehicle I know of that you must be gentle with the turn signal lever or you'll break the cam.

Give this a shot. It's part # D0TZ-13341-B on page 48 here http://dennis-carpenter.com/pdf/67-79Truck.pdf

I haven't tried this dennis carpenter switch but at $25 it's cheap. The one I put in was $70 from a local parts store and that's the one that lasted 2 years.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:58 PM
wildwes
Junior User
you can still get the kits to redo the light sockets, I got the kits and rebuilt some lights off of a 48 chevy that had been sitting ijn the woods behind our pond for about 35 years, and they worked like new. Advance Auto should have the kit, with the pigtails and springs and all.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by qman
It's the turn signal switch. When turn signal lights are intermittent, it's the switch. I bet that your taillights are intermittent too. If that's true then it's definitely the switch. Just about every 67-72 truck owner has had this problem. Remove your steering wheel and you'll find a bunch of little plastic parts in the column and you'll find a ton of play in the switch itself.

The real bummer is that new TS switches are junk and will fall apart in a year or two. They're a poorly designed set of moving parts that are flimsily made of cheap plastic. The first time I installed a new ts switch my neighbor borrowed my truck and broke the cancelling cam for both directions. I wanted to blame him but couldn't. This is the only vehicle I know of that you must be gentle with the turn signal lever or you'll break the cam.

Give this a shot. It's part # D0TZ-13341-B on page 48 here http://dennis-carpenter.com/pdf/67-79Truck.pdf

I haven't tried this dennis carpenter switch but at $25 it's cheap. The one I put in was $70 from a local parts store and that's the one that lasted 2 years.
So, instead of looking at the least expensive cause, you're saying buy a part that may not fix it (in my opinion) - and one that is not as good as the original.

The suggestion I made still has not been checked out, it's too soon to jump for new parts.

Myself I'd rather troubleshoot it right on down the line.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I looked at the bulbs (all good), the fuse (good) and relaced the turn signal flasher. The left front blinker still dioes not work. I noticed that there is a faint current going through the bulb so I pushed hard on the bulb and it lit up completely. It appears that the bulb is not making good contact in the socket. There is a spring behind the socket to make the bulb fit tight but I can't see how you can get to it to make adjustments. Any suggestions?
THAT is a replacement item, when they get too cruddy they are impossible to save.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:37 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
So, instead of looking at the least expensive cause, you're saying buy a part that may not fix it (in my opinion) - and one that is not as good as the original.

The suggestion I made still has not been checked out, it's too soon to jump for new parts.

Myself I'd rather troubleshoot it right on down the line.
Dutch, This is a tuff crowd over here. Aint enough ARG Arg arg in some suggestions.

John

Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
You have a point. I shouldn't push it.

Quick Reply: Turn signal won't blink