Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Tennessee Fishing Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tennessee Fishing Thread

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>I don't never just GO FISHING....

I'm here to tell Y'all - when I fish, I'm fixin' to BRING A DANG SOMETHING HOME! Else what's the point of it all, really...

Some other man see's a lake, a stream, or a shoal. I see a dang GROCERY STORE!

So what works, and what DON'T???

Where can we find WHAT?

What lakes and such are expensive....

Where is good to cast-net bait fish. (Lord knows I love FREE bait fish. I can THOW a NET!!!)

Where is there a good place to ****** up crawdads for bait?

NOTE FOR CAST NET FOLK: Max radius this year is ten foot. CAIN'T be used in a TWRA managed area. Glenn Springs for example. Cast nets are off-limits there.

I need to find a clear running creek somewhere...
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

*I suggest we make this a sticky thread*

Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Use minnows. Get a little trap, set it in a creek over night and the next morning you should have some live bait(just have to keep them that way) and they are pretty good for getting bass, catfish, and blue gill. Your down in memphis so I don't know of any good places down there. If it was for round Nashville or back home in Dallas I could help you out, but don't know much bout round memphis for that.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I got two shiners with a 3' radius net just messin' around.

I'm sure they better places than the river down from Richardson landing.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The closest clear river we have is the Little Red below Greers Ferry Dam. In the lake they claim you can read the date on a quarter from 10'. I can't read the date on a quarter through 10' of air! The river is very cold all the way to Pangburn, so trout are the item of the day. They stock a lot of rainbows and a few brook. The world record brown trout was caught there in the 70's. Past that its the Spring River, Norfork, and White Rivers. Very clear and cold.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greywolf I'm not going to be able to go fishing Sat. I have to meet a couple of buyers that want to look at the van I have to sell.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Oh well, drat!

First things first I guess.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greywolf, you want to go fishing pm me.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Where's Hernando from Memphis?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
About 15min South, past Goodman and Church rd. next exit on 55 is Nesbit, Thats my exit. My wifes fammily has three old farm ponds with bass and crapie and a 64 acre lake. The lake is only five years old and still muddy, just started putting bass in it last year. The ponds are fun to hit, dont know if you will catch a two pound bass or a ten pound. I have cought two over ten last year and released them both....wanting my wife to catch one of them and then I would get it mounted for her. She likes fishing just as much as me.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Hey bud - you ever hear the old saying that when you release a fish from somewhere else in a pond - it gets a whole mess bigger? (Something to do with it getting anxious, and searching out food - although I've also heard once you hook a fish it won't bite again for five days or so).

Now a CAST NET is a whole 'nuther deal. Suppose we transplant some fish around the three ponds and lake?

No hook, no problem. I could get real interested in "FARMING" some serious big fish...

I used to work at one of the RV places on Craft-Goodman road. I have a pretty straight idea of where you're at.

Got any 'gators in there? 'Gator tail is a fine meal! Jim Tuttle has a pond with at least one nine footer in there, unless his son finally nailed it with a bow. But that's down by Bihalia.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
I never thought about anything like that.....sounds good thou. I could see where it could work.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Yea I'm really close to the rv place. no gators thou, I have been down in Pascagula Ms for about a year and heard the coona$$ guys cought one out of the Chevron pond. That is cool. One chicken,Big hook,rope and bumper of a truck. they said the gater rolls himself right up to the bumper!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
'Gators got into Mississippi by both people thinking they were cool pets, and by migration. Trouble is - they take over ponds and lakes and tear up the fish populations just like a snappy turtle. They can cross land, and get from one pond to another that way. I've heard of 'Gators eating livestock that come to the pond to drink...

Like crocodile Dundee said: "You know what sucks about them? They can walk on land!!!"

But as a crop - the good side of it is that in a private pond you can kill all you want of them! They're not a protected species in Mississippi...
At least not on private property.

But yeah - rotating fish through ponds can do interesting things - if the ponds can support them. Chuck some dogfood in once in a while! *winkezzz*

-You can't put dry dogfood on a hook, but the fish learn a "FEEDING ZONE"
-Dry dogfood is cheap, and it doesn't take much.
-It fattens them up.
-Don't overdo it, you don't want it rotting on the bottom of the pond. A handful once in a while is plenty.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
I need to kill about 50 turtles too. They are getting a little to populated. bought a brick of 22 bullets the other day from sportsmans and now have to do the deed.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I've got a Diana 36 pellet rifle that can punch turtle I think. 1100 fps - with a scope. I'd like a .22 LR, but then again an old HOE can work if you watch the bubbles closing in on a stringer!

Then again - I never cast netted turtle before - I bet it would work. They say turtle soup is pretty good. I've had some kinds of ling cod before, and they were green before cooking! I think I'd want to bring a damn big pair of pliers to grab them though.

Old time saying: "Snappy turtles don't let go until they dead, or lightning strike by them"

If it's turtle season - I have some stripped stringers to get even for!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tennessee Fishing Thread