General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I have no compassion..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no compassion..........

Sorry folks, but I have no compassion for people paying 4.09 for gas. I drive down the freeway and people are busting your butt to pass. They romp on their gas poles, and fly by people like me doing a modest 70 mph on the freeway. It is worse on the streets. People ride your bumper if you are 5 mph above the speed limit. At a red light they romp the gas pole to the floor to try and get out in front.

Sorry folks, but as long as people drive like morons, I have 0 compassion for them paying 4 or 5 or 6 bucks a gallon for gas.

How high will gas have to go before morons, slow down, and take their precious footies of the gas pole, and conserve gas?

I figure 8 bucks a gallon will be the maker or breaker! What say you?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1. I have slowed down to 55. I drive in the right hand lane trying to stay out of the way. If they don't like it, go around. They sit around in parking lots with engines idling. For some reason diesel owners let their trucks sit idling a lot of the time. Don't know why. Maybe they don't want to wear out their starters. jd

Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Still seeing that around here, too. Beats me--I slowed down on my 11 mile commute and went from 22.5 to 24 some. What did that cost me? I left 10 min earlier & got there 5+ min earlier and lost that "What if I get a ticket?" morning paranoia. I recommend it.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's ok, I have zero compassion for the people driving below the speed limit trying to conserve fuel. I hated the 55 national speed limit, and hope we never go back to it. If you can't afford the fuel, get a bicycle, a motorcycle, or ride a bus, but GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
We had a guy write into the newspaper saying that we needed to have different speed limits for different lanes even though we don't change the speed limit. To me that seems rather dumb. If the speed limit is 65 and people drive over 70 then they should get a ticket. I don't like being in the far right lane because of traffic getting on and off. I have slowed down some though. On my route part of it has 60 limit and the rest has 65. I set the cruise at about 62 and leave it. It wouldn't hurt my feeling for the limit to be brought back down to 60, although I know in some parts of the country including Kansas having 70 limit is awful nice. It isn't that I can't afford the gas it is that at this price I have better things to spend my money on. On third shift there isn't a bus, a bike is a accident waiting to happen and I've done the cycle route before and to be honest the weather here isn't really great for it and I found that people ignore you and will run over you. Hospital time isn't one of the things I want and would eat up any gas savings.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 AM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
This may be a bad habit to have but, I have started to get behind semi's and put the cruise on to try and match there speed and i do very well with gas mileage in my car.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
blue beast
Posting Guru
You shouldn't be riding the trucks like that unless you want a alligator through the
windsheild or a piece of metal thrown up from the road and are ready to deal with it
if it happens (ie not jerking the wheel and crashing) IF you plan on doing it anyways
get a cb and try to get ahold of the truck and that way he can communicate to you
if he sees something in the road or whatever at least he knows your not DOT and
you aren't just some drunk trying to hide behind him or something.
My ranger gets 20mpg at 75-80 and 25mpg at 65-70 basically If I keep it below
3500rpm it saves gas but kick it up above that and there it goes!!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Your problem is that you have too many ex-Californians in Las Vegas (I know, I are one). People out here are mostly courteous, don't really speed and move over when you come up behind them. Whenever I got back to SoCal to visit relatives I have to learn to drive all over again, and my husband, who's from up here, won't drive there. The mileage on my V-10 is unmentionable, but my husband's Dodge with the Cummins diesel gets 25 mpg +.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
I've been waiting for fuel prices to level out with the rest of the world for a long while. Now it's finally starting to happen and everyone throws a fit. Sure, it's way more expensive, but if people really couldn't afford it, they'd take a few simple steps to reduce what they use and save themselves some green.

The problem is the long-held sense of entitlement to cheap energy America seems to have.

I'll be pumping 4.24 for regular this afternoon here in Chicago...most I've seen for unleaded is 4.39. Diesel is down from 4.99 to 4.59.

I fully expect 5.50 to 6 bucks by winter, and I doubt it will stop there.

Bottom line, if you speed, shut up about gas prices because you're doing it to yourself. If you want to speed I'm cool with that (I do!) but I expect to pay for it.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
This may be a bad habit to have but, I have started to get behind semi's and put the cruise on to try and match there speed and i do very well with gas mileage in my car.
As an EX-TRUCKER!
22 yrs. of it. Ever heard of "THE NO ZONES" ?
There are some very big blind spots around a semi!
BTW, Tailgating a truck could get you killed, Ever eat a D O T bumper of a trailer before?

Remind yourself of this,
You, 7000lb. BULLET
TRUCK, 80,000lb. BOMB!

Voice of experience, I've had 3 IDIOTS do it!
"If You Can't See My Mirrors, I Can't See You!"

Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
I'm usually about 5-6 car lengths back.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 PM
cpe41
Senior User
Speeders. Wasting gas and endangering lives. And for what? How much time do they actually save? Very little, if any. Ever do the math? It takes alot of speed over a very long distance to gain any substantial time. If a few seconds or scant few minutes is that important, you'd better be in a vehicle with flashing lights and siren.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
I drive 126 miles to and from work. All Interstate driving. I value my time highly. 85 versus 70 makes a big difference over time. It's a free economy.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:11 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

85 miles for me each way. The time difference between 63 and 55 is about three minutes. I do have to travel through several small towns, though, and the speed limit through those drops to 45 and 35. Still, the drop in my speed has increased my MPG from 36ish to just a hair under 40. That's 21 gallons a week instead of 24 gallons per week.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Autoglass
As an EX-TRUCKER!
22 yrs. of it. Ever heard of "THE NO ZONES" ?
There are some very big blind spots around a semi!
BTW, Tailgating a truck could get you killed, Ever eat a D O T bumper of a trailer before?

Remind yourself of this,
You, 7000lb. BULLET
TRUCK, 80,000lb. BOMB!

Voice of experience, I've had 3 IDIOTS do it!
"If You Can't See My Mirrors, I Can't See You!"
He's from Michigan what do you expect? They usually fly on by! Mythbusters did this and yes you can gain mileage right where he is at. Options are; paying a little more for gas or death?

On my way to work, I have one idiot in a newer Vette going 35-40 on a two lane state highway. I am able to turn off after following about a mile tho. I thought he could afford it. Sell the Vette, buy A Geo!

Quick Reply: I have no compassion..........