1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Body mounts or lack their of on my 51 F1!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body mounts or lack their of on my 51 F1!

I am sure mine are worn out but right now the cab is sitting right on the frame as in no gap at all between the two. Is this normal and if it is do people ever add real mounts to the body? Just from a quick look I would guess the rear of the cab kind of floats on the chassis. It has links with rubber stops that keep it from lifting up to much but still look like they would allow allot of movement. I am setting this truck up for handling and don't think this kind of mount is ideal with todays speeds these trucks can reach when upgraded with new motors, AOD's, more modern suspension and good stopping power.

So I guess I am wondering if people change them out or just deal with them. Has anyone had any bad experience with these old mounts or am I just thinking to much?

Thanks for any info or feedback that you may have on this subject.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
You need to change them out! They must really be shot -- the rubber bushings may even be split. They're cheap and easy to replace.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I have ordered and received new rubber rear cab mounts but don’t have my truck in the shop yet, so does anyone have pictures or an illustration of the rear cab mounts installed, Thanks?

“Being wrong keeps me humble”

Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Yes they are shot but I was more wondering about upgrading them to a more modern set up. I will be fully boxing the frame to get rid of frame flex and to allow the new suspension to work properly. It looks like the rear cab mounts are designed for allot of frame and body flex and with out the frame flex I might tighten things up a bit. I will be doing allot of metal work to end up with very tight and consistent body lines and panel gaps so loose mounts are not ideal. I will just fabricate some new frame mounts and body supports with a nice polyurethane donut mounts.

Here is the rear cab mount

Front cab mount or whats left of it!

And the cab on frame.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Those look pretty low to me...is that third picture the center floor/seat support??
Resting on the frame?...that can't be good..
Most all these old 'original" trucks look very similar though,...this is where the fun begins!
Looks like alot of late-nite body alignment sessions are in your future...in the attempt to prevent the broken-back look...LoL
I have heard of some people forming a new rear cab/floor sopport or crossmember, and making custom mounts for it...Check out MF catalog for adjustable rear cab mounts also, might ...give you some ideas Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Great pictures, Thank you!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Thanks, believe it or not but all the panels, doors, hood and bed all line up great! This truck has 46k miles on it and really is in great shape. I was going to leave the body stock and just build a very nice frame and running gear for it with a 2005 5.3L/4L60 AOD but things have changed allot.

I have a 5yr plan before I quite my day job and open my current part time Fabrication shop full time. Before I make that jump I need to more well known in the custom world. I am very well known in the 60-72 Chevy truck work but I need more then that. So after long talks we decided to build an all out full custom show truck and we are going to use our 51 F1 for the build.

Quick over view will be TCI tubular MII, PS,Disk, sway bar and bags. Rear is a 95 T-bird IRS with bags and the motor I removed from a competition tube chassis rock crawler I built a few years back and just sold minus motor. It is a 69 351W block, steel crank, forged pistons, roller cam, roller adjustable rockers, EFI and dyno'ed just over 500hp/550ft torque. I have not decided on the trans yet but it Will be a slush box. ART's Ride Pro leveling system with 4 corner ride height censors and PSI censors and on board computer for the ultimate air ride system.

Body mods will include, chop top 2-3", body section 4", channeled 2"+-, bobbed bed 7", fender opening changes, grill opening changes and plenty of other slight mods to just about very panel in one way or another. We plan on this truck show casing all of our shops talents, with mostly metal finished panels and lead on what remains before laying down a flawless polished finish.
Sorry to blab on my mine is just going in over drive with the design stage of this build.

Kevin
LFD Inc.