Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Senior User

Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Testing For Conversion

Hey all, to the board, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/74...say-hello.html

But I do have some first hand expeerience in to brewing of Bio. I know its not necessary, but I do have a laboratory background but its in Civil Engineering. I use and have access to different types of lab. equipment for running tests like; max maximum theoretical density, titration, hydrometer and so on (materials testing type stuff for Civil applications).

My question is;
  1. does any-one have ASTM's they would like to share for "Quality Testing"? Mainly to see if I have any of the lab equipment needed to perform the tests.
  2. Does any-one use the "27 & 3" Test? The one Utah Bio Supply uses for a first indicator of conversion?
So far, most of my small test batches (5 gal) processed & water washed, pass the "27 & 3" test, but I did have one that failed.

What should I do when I come across this again?

When it failed, I re-titrated and the titration was similar to that of clean SVO, if not less. I then re-processed a 1 litre batch of it with 20% methanol and 5.500 grams of KOH, as recomended by journeytoforever.org. This made a BAD emulsion, a batch that was so full of soap it was hard to wash and had a low yeild.
  • Next time, should I just keep washing before attempting a Re-Run?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
8 grams is a better base for KOH. i found that out when I had a test batch emulsify. i use the 3/27 and the freezer test on my finished product.

Please, do not text & drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwfq7Igvxc

-David
Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Senior User

Oh, BTW; My KOH is 89.6% pure.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by empiretc View Post
8 grams is a better base for KOH. i found that out when I had a test batch emulsify. i use the 3/27 and the freezer test on my finished product.
empiretc, what do you do with your batch if it fails the 3/27?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
reprocess it.

-David
Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
The first thing you'll need is a Gas Chromatograph, or a Ion Chromatograph ( I have both ) Neither is cheap............The cost to equip a Lab capable of doing ASTM biodiesel testing is about $250,000. Not many home-brewers can afford that.................

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
The first thing you'll need is a Gas Chromatograph, or a Ion Chromatograph ( I have both ) Neither is cheap............The cost to equip a Lab capable of doing ASTM biodiesel testing is about $250,000. Not many home-brewers can afford that.................
I do understand the cost associated with setting up a lab. and staff capable of passing AMRL & AASHTO accreditation (Not sure if Bio requires the same, I doubt it). I had set up a main lab and multiple portable labs in the past for Civil related designs. Your 100% correct, it big bucks!

I'm not looking to set up. To start, I'm more interested looking thru the apparatus portion of ASTM D658 to see if I have access to any of the lab equipment. I also have access to a full blown water quality lab that may or may not render the equipment .

Do you have at least the apparatus portion of D658 that you would be willing to share? You may be able to save me the 35 bones & alot of time

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior User

Quote:
reprocess it.
You belive I should of re-processed that batch with 8 grams for base KOH, even though I made a heavy emulsion with a re-process of 5.5grams? Should I still use 20% Methanol?

hmmm, I was thinking I over shot it with 5.5 the second time.

Is it feasible to just keep washing the first batch with out the re-process? Do you think I could still get a quality fuel with more washing?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I don't have all the test requirements, but I have some:
ASTM D130, Copper corrosion test
ASTM D445, Kinematic Viscosity
ASTM D1160 Vacuum Distillation
ASTM D 1796 Water and Sediment in Oils
ASTM D2500 Cloud Point
ASTM D6371 Wax Appearance Point
ASTM D14112 Oxidation Stabilty of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME)

And the biggie: ASTM D613 Cetane Number. This test requires a Cetane Test Engine.............About $65,000!

PLUS, an ICP-OES, IE: Inductively-Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectroscopy.

Phydeaux 88 is our resident chemist here, he can probably supply the missing pieces.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow View Post
You belive I should of re-processed that batch with 8 grams for base KOH, even though I made a heavy emulsion with a re-process of 5.5grams? Should I still use 20% Methanol?

hmmm, I was thinking I over shot it with 5.5 the second time.

Is it feasible to just keep washing the first batch with out the re-process? Do you think I could still get a quality fuel with more washing?
the batch that emulsified is trash. i was talking about a good looking batch that does not pass the 3/27 test.

you need to make sure you get all the glycerin out before you wash. this is why it is a good idea to take a small sample out and do a test wash on it before you attempt to wash the entire batch.

i have since switched to NaOH so i can make my own "roundup". it has gone up as well and the NaOH is a lot cheaper than KOH, so it just was a better choice. I will use 5g as base for that and I use ~25% methanol.

-David
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
the batch that emulsified is trash. i was talking about a good looking batch that does not pass the 3/27 test.

you need to make sure you get all the glycerin out before you wash. this is why it is a good idea to take a small sample out and do a test wash on it before you attempt to wash the entire batch.

i have since switched to NaOH so i can make my own "roundup". it has gone up as well and the NaOH is a lot cheaper than KOH, so it just was a better choice. I will use 5g as base for that and I use ~25% methanol.
Hey empiretc, I think we may have a slight confusion of communication (sorry, that my be on me)
  • I made a 5 gal batch, washed it three times without trouble [on the left in the pic "dried"] (maybe 1/8" - 1/4" emulsion between the Bio & water in a 5 gal. water container), then I ran the 3/27.
  • The washed 5 gal. batch failed the 3/27.
  • I then pulled out 1 litre of the 5 gallon washed bio and re-processed the 1 litre washed bio with 5.5gr KOH @ 20% methanol.
  • This is when I got the bad emulsion. I had a define line between the bio and the emulsion, but the bottom was NASTY.9 (on the right in the pic) Is that considered a "bad reaction with heavy emulsion"? Thats the worst I have had since I started.

Here's a PIC

Click the image to open in full size.

More less my question is,
A) Do you think I over shot it when I added the 5.5gr of KOH the second time? Is to much lye what causes the the emulsion?

B) Should I have just continued washing the first 5 gal a few more times and run it as is in my truck?

Thanks for your patients with ME guys, I know I'm the Noobe .
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
I don't have all the test requirements, but I have some:
ASTM D130, Copper corrosion test
ASTM D445, Kinematic Viscosity
ASTM D1160 Vacuum Distillation
ASTM D 1796 Water and Sediment in Oils
ASTM D2500 Cloud Point
ASTM D6371 Wax Appearance Point
ASTM D14112 Oxidation Stabilty of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME)

And the biggie: ASTM D613 Cetane Number. This test requires a Cetane Test Engine.............About $65,000!

PLUS, an ICP-OES, IE: Inductively-Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectroscopy.

Phydeaux 88 is our resident chemist here, he can probably supply the missing pieces.
WOW fabmandelux! That's a completely different animal
I had never even heard of most that equipment.
I figured our asphalt (Bitumen) binder lab or one of the others would have something useful besides flasks, scales, thermometers and beakers

Oh, BTW; I didnt give you guys the correct ASTM I was looking for, I was interested in ASTM 6584-07. Do you have any info on the importance of this method compared to the others you listed?

Thanks,
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
astm, d14112