Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Senior User

nebmike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vibration in '07 EL 4x4

Recently, my Expy (18k miles) started to vibrate through the steering wheel once you get up to about 70mph -- with the vibration getting progressively worse as you increase speed past there.

Had the tires rotated and balanced but that doesnt seem to have done anything to correct the vibration. Its not the brakes - there is no vibration under braking (at least below 70mph).

Any thoughts on where I might look next?
2007 Laredo 315RL 5'er, 35', 11.5k, Onan 4k
Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Senior User

Tmod700 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would check the driveshafts.

Tmod
Old 06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's what I was thinking. Bent/out of balance driveshaft. Keep on the dealer.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Senior User

nebmike is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm 'bout to get sick of taking this thing back to the dealer for stuff. It hasnt been anything big yet, but dang, in the five months I've owned it I've had it in 9 times.
2007 Laredo 315RL 5'er, 35', 11.5k, Onan 4k
Old 06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Elder User

montecarlo31 is starting off with a positive reputation.
to me it sounds like something else, something suspension related. I'd check out tie rods, inner and outer, idler arm, pitman arm, etc. Are you sure that the rotor is all the way back and the tire is mounted correctly? Jack the front wheel up and see if there is any play in it. I'd also make sure there isn't any mud on the inside of the rims or on the control arms. It also sounds like you need a service department not a parts changer.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Junior User

Phity Five is starting off with a positive reputation.
I choosen to be patient with a vibration problem until I can understand it better or until someone else has a similar problem I can learn from or until FORD admits a problem and offers a service protocal.

Mine is mysterious in that it comes and goes with no clear rhyme or reason. It's mostly felt in the steering wheel, which will vibrate back and forth, usually between 50 mph and 70 mph, but will go away after between 1 and 3 miles of driving. It's not every day that it occurs, and the violence of the vibration is sometimes mild and sometimes quite alarming. It's not weather (temp or precip) related that I can tell, but it usually occurs in the morning or after long periods (4-5 hours) of being parked.

I've had the tires and rims checked and rotated (only 5500 miles on this `08 Expy), but no effect. Plus, if it were driveline related, wouldnt it be everpresent rather than come and go?

Have been to dealer twice, but of course they/I cannot reproduce the problem at that time.

My latest "clue" is that when I tow (24' Featherlite with 4500# load) the vibration, when/if it occurs, is more like a forced movement of the steering wheel rather than a vibration... not very clear in my description, I know, but its making me believe it is POWER STEERING related. Perhaps the spooling is fouled, or some valve is sticking, or ? But this dampening effect under tow load, along with the notion that maybe system/fluid temperature may have something to do with it, I'm thinking the steering pump is the culpret.

Any concurance here on my suspicions? Any other thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks... Brian
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would video the wheel shaking. Send ford a certified letter about your complaint. After 3 attempts, go through whatever your states steps are for filing a lemon. Easy to file. When Ford gets that paper work, they usually respond.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator