Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Titration question.

What should good used oil titrate at? what is the ph where we should look elsewhere? I am going to start titrating oils from different places tomorrow to see what values I come up with.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior User

Gun-Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
My oil has never titrated greater than 1.7, I would say anything at 2.0 or less is good. The other thing to look for is water, take some samples home and do a water test on them.
Quantitative Water Test - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial
Old 06-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
looked at the link, the next question is how much water is too much?
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I've done testing in my lab with a lab scale ( weigh sample, boil off water, re-weight ) and have found that anything over 2 percent water can cause problems. Excess water will combine with the Lye in a side reaction, which lowers the amount of catalyst required for maximum conversion, resulting in lower quality biodiesel. To much water, and you wind up with "glop-soap" If you use an "open" style of processor you can see the reaction and can "tweak" it a little by the addition of extra catalyst thereby saving the batch.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 PM