Sponsored by:

There Is A Guy Out Here With A Rav 4 Going Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Daviddc114
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There Is A Guy Out Here With A Rav 4 Going Crazy

to the guy who said a RAV4 is safer than an excursion!!! and he said if he hits an X on the side his air bags will protect him and our x will flip!!

i just have one thing to say...

RAV4!!!

if your rav 4 hits my X, it will be like a bug hitting my windshield, and if my X hits your RAV4, i wont even know it until i get home to wash my grill!!!

i do not want to argue with you, but...
i was in the autobody industry for 8 years, in the begining of the EXCURSIONs life, and i seen ALOT of them AND RAV4 in crashes, (obviously other cars of all sorts) and i promise you, you are wrong!! SIZE DOES MATTER MY FRIEND!! yea from the outsode of a rolled excursion, it looks bad, BUT THE TRUCK WEIGHS 8000 FRIGGIN POUNDS< WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!! but it DOES protect its occupants, i seen one 00 - or 01 X that rolled several times off a freeway (due to tired driver) and he walked out of the x, he was brused scraped and i think he had a fractured hand or finger or something, but he WALKED away. i have never seen an excursion with a person in it whome was killed, im sure its happened but i NEVER seen it, and i did my friend see a rav 4 kill its occupant! point is you can get killed in any car, ANY car!! but i know id rather take my chainces in my X

ps, you were implying that in a crash between an EXCURSION and a RAV4, you would rather be in the RAV4????? ummm, whatever you are smoking, can i PLEASE have some!! IT MUST BE SOME GOOD S**T!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who said this??

Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM
whjco
Elder User
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Who said this??
6686L in several other posts. Most recently in a post titled something like "What would you take for your Ex?" which I think the moderators must have removed.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
oh, the moderators removed it?? i thought i was blocked from it lol!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 12:31 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whjco
6686L in several other posts. Most recently in a post titled something like "What would you take for your Ex?" which I think the moderators must have removed.

ooo i remember that post LOL. I kno which vehicle i would rather be in. And i am pretty sure you all could figure that one out haha

Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[.......to the guy who said a RAV4 is safer than an excursion!!!.....point is you can get killed in any car, ANY car!! but i know id rather take my chainces in my X ......

ps, you were implying that in a crash between an EXCURSION and a RAV4, you would rather be in the RAV4????? ummm, whatever you are smoking, can i PLEASE have some!! IT MUST BE SOME GOOD S**T!!![/quote]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I respectfully suggest that you fire the fellow who translated my discussions about driving safety for you, and get someone who DOES have at least some minimum competence in American English. I do not recall suggesting that my Toyota RAV 4 "is safer than my Ex in an accident".

The only part of my post about driving safety that was translated from my post, into whatever language you understand, that you got right, is that I agree completely - we most certainly CAN get killed VERY dead in ANY car.

The rest of your response to what you apparently THINK was my discussion, is mistaken. NO question that in many accidents, assuming all else is equal (seat belts, air bags, etc) I would rather be in a modern heavy vehicle. The problem is, as I noted, accidents are just that - accidents. Meaning, we cant select what kind of situation we are going to get into.

I hope most of you are responsible enough to realize that conservative, defensive driving is the best way to reduce the risk of injury. I have seen enough posts indicating some of you guys drive these things 75 mph and faster, to scare me. Our EX suspensions are primitive, giving us much poorer handling then a modern suspension. These things are top-heavy when stock, and get much MUCH more top-heavy when "lifted".

Yeah - i cant find the "thread" with the woman's question about safety either. Cant imagine why it was deleted - at least when I last saw that thread, there was no vulgarity or hate speech. I was emphasizing the importance of defensive driving is as important as the choice of vehicles. I did point out that an intersection accident with even a MUCH lighter car could FLIP our Excursions, noting that at moderate speeds an EX probably woudln't roll ALL the way over.

Your comments about people walking away from EX's in a roll-over are, in my view, irresponsible. Suggest you and others use your computer skills to get at those sites that have actual photographs of what REALLY happens to our EX's and other Ford SUV's when they "roll".

( you dont suppose my "post" was deleted by someone who has some personal interest in FoMoCo.... ? )

Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 AM
6686L
Elder User
Just dawned on me what that guy was referring to. Of COURSE I would rather be in my EX than in my RAV if we are going to run the two of them together. But my FOCUS was on the idea of RESPONSIBLE DEFENSIVE DRIVING in ANY vehicle.

What I DO want to emphasize again, is that "bigger is NOT necessarily safer" if you arent driving defensively. The sad fact is, FoMoCo does NOT have a history of responsible design criteria in terms of occupant safety. Sad fact is, if we are going to talk "roll-over" there is no question that my EX is MUCH more dangerous than my Toyota RAV 4. The Toyota's cage was designed to survive a roll-over, and Ford SUV's were not.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 AM
1948f1
Senior User
The sheer fact of weight makes the Excursion inherently more dangerous in a rollover. I know of no company who has designed an 8000 lb suv that will not have a roof cave during a rollover. And yes, the higher center if gravity certainly lends itself to rollover situations especially if the Ex has been lifted. One needs to drive any vehicle defensively but also be aware of that vehicles capabilities or lack thereof. You don't drive a suv like a sports car and expect to turn, accelerate and brake in that manner. The same goes for understanding physics and how they affect a large vehicle. <p>The Rav4 and essentially every other passenger vehicle wins the safety test for rollover vs. and Excursion. The amount of accidents occuring that do not involve rollovers are far greater in number though. Generally a rollover occurs from an attempted emergency manuver to avoid an impact at hwy speed or higher or just plain stupidity causing the vehicle to roll and not from an impact by another vehicle. I will take my chances on a rollover and attempt to reduce them by driving wisely. I can only do so much to reduce being struck by another vehicle which is where the sheer mass of an Excursion will payoff. In that case winner Excursion. Don't be an idiot and don't exceed any vehicle's or your own abilities and you will prevent the majority of rollovers and many other accidents.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:07 AM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1948f1
............ Don't be an idiot and don't exceed any vehicle's or your own abilities and you will prevent the majority of rollovers and many other accidents.
---------------------------------------------------------

excellent post - hope these guys listen to you !

Old 06-07-2008, 10:56 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by 6686L
I have seen enough posts indicating some of you guys drive these things 75 mph and faster, to scare me. Our EX suspensions are primitive, giving us much poorer handling then a modern suspension. These things are top-heavy when stock, and get much MUCH more top-heavy when "lifted".

I did point out that an intersection accident with even a MUCH lighter car could FLIP our Excursions, noting that at moderate speeds an EX probably woudln't roll ALL the way over.

When I was in UT, IIRC, there were highways that were rated at 75mph. Now if you are saying that the Ex is no good at say 85 on the straight ways, I would disagree. If there are twists and turns, we are talking of something totally different. If you are talking about say towing 10000# and doing 85 on a 75 rated road, well....... Hope your insurance is paid up. Lifted, well, again we are talking about totally different situations. Is the suspension the latest and greatest? I doubt it. Is it that bad? I think not.

If hit at the right angle at the right speed at the right point, I agree. Head on, probably the Rav4 will get run over and squished. I don't think the roll overs are that much of an issue, are they? Yes, they can happen and are more likely to happen especially if you are doing stupid things but it isn't that common an occurrence, is it?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by 1948f1
The Rav4 and essentially every other passenger vehicle wins the safety test for rollover vs. and Excursion. The amount of accidents occuring that do not involve rollovers are far greater in number though. Generally a rollover occurs from an attempted emergency manuver to avoid an impact at hwy speed or higher or just plain stupidity causing the vehicle to roll and not from an impact by another vehicle.

That's what I am talking about. I don't think rollovers are the only types of accidents. When compared with others, I think they pale in comparison. If you want to talk rollovers, I can flip out my 91 Vette if I tried to do something stupid too. I have seen all sorts of accidents but never personally witnessed a rollover but once and that was when the guy was drunk and driving into a ditch.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:25 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
As I drive all ove the greater Phoenix, AZ area I see wrecks almost every day! Most of them that I see are where a vehicle rear-ends another one. The next most common seems to be when vehicles are at intersections turning left (side or frontal corner impacts.) The one I see fewest of are rollovers........... I have been in 5 accidents and they were all either rear-end or side impact accidents, I was never at fault in any of them, but that's beside the point! A Ford Excursion absolutely would have to be 1 of the safest vehicles on the road, because like the others have said it weighs 8k! In most accidents between 2 vehicles would you rather be in the 4k or the 8k vehicle? I hope to I never have to take a shot into the side of my vehicles from any Excursion or Mega Cab etc!!!!

There are statistics and roll - over accident are much less frequent than collisions between 2 vehicles that do not roll over!! Check out some of these horrible accident pictures:

Toyota Rav4 Utterly Destroyed in Collision with Large Truck

You go drive your RAV4, I will stick with the heavy, unresponsive, bad handling, 8000 pound Excursion!

Old 06-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
Originally Posted by scottman70
As I drive all ove the greater Phoenix, AZ area I see wrecks almost every day! Most of them that I see are where a vehicle rear-ends another one. The next most common seems to be when vehicles are at intersections turning left (side or frontal corner impacts.) The one I see fewest of are rollovers........... I have been in 5 accidents and they were all either rear-end or side impact accidents, I was never at fault in any of them, but that's beside the point! A Ford Excursion absolutely would have to be 1 of the safest vehicles on the road, because like the others have said it weighs 8k! In most accidents between 2 vehicles would you rather be in the 4k or the 8k vehicle? I hope to I never have to take a shot into the side of my vehicles from any Excursion or Mega Cab etc!!!!

There are statistics and roll - over accident are much less frequent than collisions between 2 vehicles that do not roll over!! Check out some of these horrible accident pictures:

Toyota Rav4 Utterly Destroyed in Collision with Large Truck

You go drive your RAV4, I will stick with the heavy, unresponsive, bad handling, 8000 pound Excursion!

LMFAO!!!!
YEAH, I WANNA BE IN THAT RAV 4!!!!

Oh and ANY ROLL OVER is dangerous in ANY CAR!! you would be lucky to survuve in a roll over in ANY CAR!!! BUT to anyone who says excursions dont protect in roll overs, LOOK AT THIS S**T!!! EVERYONE SURVIVED, AND THERE WAS MULTIPLE PEOPLE IN THE X!!!

Google Image Result for http://farm1.static.flickr.com/64/198464365_942d6c6414.jpg?v=0

Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 6686L
Just dawned on me what that guy was referring to. Of COURSE I would rather be in my EX than in my RAV if we are going to run the two of them together. But my FOCUS was on the idea of RESPONSIBLE DEFENSIVE DRIVING in ANY vehicle.

What I DO want to emphasize again, is that "bigger is NOT necessarily safer" if you arent driving defensively. The sad fact is, FoMoCo does NOT have a history of responsible design criteria in terms of occupant safety. Sad fact is, if we are going to talk "roll-over" there is no question that my EX is MUCH more dangerous than my Toyota RAV 4. The Toyota's cage was designed to survive a roll-over, and Ford SUV's were not.
You make it sound as if only Ford suvs are going to perform poorly in a rollover, if my understanding is correct, Toyota Sequoia's do not perform that great in rollovers either. The sad fact is that no manufacture has yet been able to prevent intrusion into the passenger area on any full size suv completely, if your going to bash Ford about their suvs not withstanding a rollover why don't you bash every other company that has produced full size suvs considering that they all do not perform to hot in the event of a rollover. I'd like everybody to understand that its just not Ford that has suvs that do not hold up well in a rollover its every company with a full size suv.

Just for a little show & tell heres a rolled Sequoia.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! i dont think 6686L realizes no matter what his point, HE IS BASHING FORD AND OUR X's !!!! and not to mention he is critisizeing our driving!!

Quick Reply: There Is A Guy Out Here With A Rav 4 Going Crazy