Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Post Fiend

SuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to behold
Started my F 250 Project.

Well I got started on my F250 today. After a lot of sanding I found a lot of bond,so I'm going to sand and prime the whole truck to see what needs replaced.Looks like I will need to find another bed or start buying new bed parts and build a new one unless someone can tell me if this bed can be saved after I finish sanding it.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Post Fiend

SuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to beholdSuperSnake is a splendid one to behold
More pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
Are you trying to make me jealous?

Do you have more pictures of the truck?

I really miss having a Dentside truck, maybe I can find one around here for a reasonable price one day.

I am sure I have to finish all my other projects first.

Keep up the good work Reb!

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Post Fiend

Yeah I got more pictures. I'll pm you a link to my photobucket.
I hope it turns out good some one put a lot of bondo and didn't finish it.Looks like they used house paint on it too. I hope I don't have to replace the bed.
Thanks for the encouragement Darren.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
Link did not work, maybe try adding some in an FTE gallery too!

It is great that you don't have to replace the bed, now you can put money elsewhere on the truck.

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Post Fiend

Bill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputation
Dosen't look too Bad, How are you removing the Paint? By hand?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
Dosen't look too Bad, How are you removing the Paint? By hand?
I'm using a cheap Black&Decker 20.00 sander from Wal Mart with 60,100,180 grit sandpaper along with rattlecan primer from Wal Mart too.

I know it's not the proper way to do it,but there is so many layers of paint all in white with house paint being the last layer. I am trying to find out how much bondo and rust is in the bed so I have a idea on how and what I need to repair it properly.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Posting Guru

Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Rebel View Post
I'm using a cheap Black&Decker 20.00 sander from Wal Mart with 60,100,180 grit sandpaper along with rattlecan primer from Wal Mart too.

I know it's not the proper way to do it,but there is so many layers of paint all in white with house paint being the last layer. I am trying to find out how much bondo and rust is in the bed so I have a idea on how and what I need to repair it properly.
I can give you a few pointers if you need.

To strip the bondo and paint just use Aircraft Paint remover as it will take both off. Best method is to get a squeeze bottle (that will handle the paint remover) then just let it run until it bubbles. On thick bondo you may need more than one coat. You can also brush it on (thick as possible) From what I have seen it should be easily fixable. Post more pics.. forgot to take note where you are located?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss9F100 View Post
I can give you a few pointers if you need.

To strip the bondo and paint just use Aircraft Paint remover as it will take both off. Best method is to get a squeeze bottle (that will handle the paint remover) then just let it run until it bubbles. On thick bondo you may need more than one coat. You can also brush it on (thick as possible) From what I have seen it should be easily fixable. Post more pics.. forgot to take note where you are located?
Thanks Bosss9F100 that will help. I might order a new side for it.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Posting Guru

Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Rebel View Post
Thanks Bosss9F100 that will help. I might order a new side for it.

remember too that usually a side replacement can be more work that repairing what you have. do you have better pics of side in question?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss9F100 View Post
remember too that usually a side replacement can be more work that repairing what you have. do you have better pics of side in question?
Not yet I'm trying to get the whole side sanded and primer the only reason I'm doing the primer is to keep the bare metal from rusting. When I get all the bondo out I will take more pictures.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior User

just-n-time is starting off with a positive reputation.
thats how I did mine reb,used the air craft paint remover three cans to do the bed ps dont scrape it and throw it away,after you scrape it put it on the top rails it still has more working power in it. use a plastic cover and it will work longer with out drying out. JNT oh yes you can get the stuff at waly world.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Post Fiend

What kind of plastic? Will saran wrap work?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Posting Guru

ibleedblue1385 has a great reputation on FTE.ibleedblue1385 has a great reputation on FTE.ibleedblue1385 has a great reputation on FTE.ibleedblue1385 has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm liking this...keep up the good work.

Oh, and post as many pics as possible!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Post Fiend

This project is over. I sold my 76
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM