2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New factory tow mirrors??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 AM
19expy97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New factory tow mirrors??

Was wondering if any one on here has installed the new factory tow mirrors on their trucks? Is it plug and play?? i havent actually played with a set of these yet but is there differnt levels of power?? power fold ? power extend? Where has anyone found these?? Another site said ebay, but all i found was knock offs. A guy stopped to look at my bed liner and had them on his truck , he hates them cause he doesnt tow, and there where not power, did have time to really chat with him and didnt get his number but he said he would have traded even up for regular factory mirrors. I take it to be power they must come through as power?? i cant use any of the parts from my mirrors i have now???

Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
search the forum because just recently (within past month) someone actually installed them on their f150. Actually has list of parts required if your truck didnt come with power mirrors. Its possible to do, just time and money.

As to the different levels, maybe look on fords website and see the options for the new f150. I'm still not sure if there is a power fold or telescope for the ty mirrors.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
I installed them on my truck. Mine are the manual telescoping, manual fold towing mirrors w/ power heated glass/turn signals/puddle lamps. Physically installing them is not a problem, but wiring can be an issue.

Installation is very easy if you have an 2007 or newer, XLT or better F-150, just plug them in and go. On my 2006, they mount fine, but you have to move a ground wire in the connector to enable the heated glass. If you have a Lariat or a truck that had heated mirrors everything will then work minus the Puddle lamps.

On trucks that did not have heated mirrors (like mine) you would have to replace your climate control unit, with a unit that had the mirror defrost button. The power distribution box behind the passengers side kick panel would have to be replaced as well. All the wiring is there, but the climate control unit and the power distribution box are incorrect.

2007 and newer F-150's seem to be pre-wired for puddle lamps. My 2006 is not.

So on my 2006 F-150 XLT, the power glass and turn signals work, but the heated glass and puddle lamps do not (yet).

Hopefully Ford Fx4 will add to what I have written so far. His truck is very similar to mine & he did all the work necessary to get everything working.

I really enjoy the mirrors. It is amazing how much more you can see with them. One note though, they do increase the overall width of your truck. This is not a problem for me as I have a 10ft door the building that I park my truck in. It does make the truck a bit too wide for some house garage doors though.

Hope that helps,

T. J.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Here's a link to Ford FX4's thread that details his experience installing the mirrors on his truck:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...w-mirrors.html

Old 06-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by the_webers_inc
I installed them on my truck. Mine are the manual telescoping, manual fold towing mirrors w/ power heated glass/turn signals/puddle lamps. Physically installing them is not a problem, but wiring can be an issue.

Installation is very easy if you have an 2007 or newer, XLT or better F-150, just plug them in and go. On my 2006, they mount fine, but you have to move a ground wire in the connector to enable the heated glass. If you have a Lariat or a truck that had heated mirrors everything will then work minus the Puddle lamps.

On trucks that did not have heated mirrors (like mine) you would have to replace your climate control unit, with a unit that had the mirror defrost button. The power distribution box behind the passengers side kick panel would have to be replaced as well. All the wiring is there, but the climate control unit and the power distribution box are incorrect.

2007 and newer F-150's seem to be pre-wired for puddle lamps. My 2006 is not.

So on my 2006 F-150 XLT, the power glass and turn signals work, but the heated glass and puddle lamps do not (yet).

Hopefully Ford Fx4 will add to what I have written so far. His truck is very similar to mine & he did all the work necessary to get everything working.

I really enjoy the mirrors. It is amazing how much more you can see with them. One note though, they do increase the overall width of your truck. This is not a problem for me as I have a 10ft door the building that I park my truck in. It does make the truck a bit too wide for some house garage doors though.

Hope that helps,

T. J.
T.J. I think you pretty much got everything covered, thanks for that link....I was looking for it but could not find it

Here is from my other post along with part numbers
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4

So I finally got everything working on the towing mirrors...

So to recap everything for those of you that want to do this yourself….Truck(s) was a 2006 F-150 5.4 4x4 with standard power mirrors(no heat, signal, or puddle lamp). After looking in the doors I saw that I had the necessary wires for heat and signal already in the door.
<o></o>
Taking the old mirrors off and installing the towing mirrors was easy. When I got to moving the pins I had trouble with them so I bought new ones ford to put into place. The new pins already had about 3” of wire on it so I just cut the wire I need to move from the old pin and soldered it to the new wire and warped with a good quality electrical tape (not that cheap vinyl stuff) I had to move 1 pin and add 1 pin in each door…Moved one ground wire to pin #8 from pin #9 and then added the puddle lamp to pin # 11….everything else matched up…..Also for anyone wanting to add these mirrors to 06 and earlier, we use two ground pins and the new mirrors only use one so simply cut the # 2 ground off and tape it.
<o></o>
I also wired in the puddle lamp…..It really does a good job at lighting up the ground at night….IMO take the extra time to wire this in. You can pick up the correct wire in the drivers side skill plate….dome light wire(black/blue)….there are two of them in there so make sure you test them! I fed mime though the rubber boot on the door side then drilled a small hole along the connector taped the wire then feed in through. Again you will only have to this if you have a 06 or earlier truck…07 and up should already have this wire in the door.
<o></o>
I needed to switch out my heater control also with one with a button for heat activation for the mirrors….again simple to do….pull the face plate off, unscrew four screws holding the heat control to the face plate, and unclip two electrical connectors.
<o></o>
When I got every thing back together I went to check the heat and the light would not say on…..checked the manual and saw there needed to be a 10a fuse, a relay, and a 40a fuse installed….went to do so and the slots in the fuse box was empty!!!
<o></o>
So I need to order a new fuse box with heated mirrors option……Just got the fuse box in today and install was again simple… 6 connections up front to disconnect, 4 in back and 2 on the front side….also the main power cord on the back side….They give you a new power cord with the new fuse box but I just un screwed the nut holding it on and used the one I already had…..
<o></o>
The parts list
<o></o>
-7L3Z-17682-AE--------mirror Right (power, signal, heat, puddle lamp)
-7L3Z-17683-AE--------mirror Left (power, signal, heat, puddle lamp)
-6L3Z-19980-CA--------heater control
-6L3Z-14A068-DA-------fuse box w/heated mirrors

-new pins from Ford
-100ft 18gauge wire for puddle lamps (20 gauge would have been fine also as that is what the wiring diagram shows them to be)
<o></o>
As for the mirrors they are great the lower convex is great to look at as you have really no blind spot any more….any they look every cool too as I am about the only truck running them in the area.
Here Are a few pics
Side

retracted

Extended

Front

Here is one for comparison

I have more in my galley in you click on the link in my sig and they are under "Towing mirrors pics" & "Towing mirror install"

If you have to move the pins I have wiring diagrams of were they need to be.....let me know and I can email them to anyone that needs them.

Also you can get everything from Ed "FTE/partsguy", he is a site sponsor and will get everything you need!

-Josh

Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 PM
19expy97
Freshman User
Hey thanks alot on the info , prices are as follow 134.75 black , 144.38 with chrome cap from tasca ford. Only problem i have is where is the unit that makes my mirrors i have now fold in??? I dont mind the manual tele. but really hate to loose the power fold. Another question my 06 King ranch has the puddle lamps now so i should be ok??? Has anyone seen these in full power on the new trucks???

Old 06-01-2008, 03:06 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think power fold is an option with the tow mirrors. My 08 came with them on it and I took them off. Only had power adjust, turn signal and puddle lights. They stick out pretty far and clearence became an issue. Almost forgot, they are heated also.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by 19expy97
Hey thanks alot on the info , prices are as follow 134.75 black , 144.38 with chrome cap from tasca ford. Only problem i have is where is the unit that makes my mirrors i have now fold in??? I dont mind the manual tele. but really hate to loose the power fold.
To the best of my knowledge, I don't think they are availible with power fold (yet).

Originally Posted by 19expy97
Another question my 06 King ranch has the puddle lamps now so i should be ok???
Yes, if you already have Puddle Lamps, you are set.

T. J.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:19 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
Where is the cheapeast place to order these mirrors from?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:53 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by wreedZ71
Where is the cheapeast place to order these mirrors from?
Tasca Ford - Tasca Auto Group | Your Online Parts Dealer

Thats where mine & Ford FX4's came from.

T. J.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
What are puddle lamps? I have a 07 King Ranch with power folding, heater, and power moving mirrors. Will this be a plug and play swap for my truck or is something else required? How would I make the mirrors move in a out?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
What are puddle lamps?
They are small lights on the bottom of the mirrors that illuminate when you unlock the vehicle or open the door. I guess they are supposed to light up the ground below the doors just enough at night for a person to see puddles that my be potentially there. The parent's Five Hundred has them, the lights look cool when you unlock the car walking up to it, but they really don't do anything.

I have a 07 King Ranch with power folding, heater, and power moving mirrors. Will this be a plug and play swap for my truck or is something else required? How would I make the mirrors move in a out?
They will work with your truck out of the box. You will lose you power fold ability though. These mirrors are manual folding, manual telescoping - AFAIK. All of your other current power options will work fine.

T. J.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a direct swap for the 07/08 models. If you have power/heated mirrors now the puddle lamps will work. If you have and 04/06 you will have to move a couple of ground pins as stated above. I put mine on about a month ago and love them. Coming from a superduty the normal F150 mirrors just didn't do it. The new ones do stick out abit more but you will get used to them.
They are manual fold and tele to answer the question above.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
What are the correct part numbers for the black mirrors? I dont want chrome or any other color.

Also how easy is it to remove the old mirrors?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
What are the correct part numbers for the black mirrors? I dont want chrome or any other color.
Here you go...

Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
-7L3Z-17682-AE--------mirror Right (power, signal, heat, puddle lamp)
-7L3Z-17683-AE--------mirror Left (power, signal, heat, puddle lamp)
Also how easy is it to remove the old mirrors?
Not bad. The hardest part is removing the door panels, and that is relatively straight forward.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/images...ns/2120SCH.pdf

I used this guide from a 3rd party mirror vendor. It gives the steps for removing your old mirrors.

T. J.

Quick Reply: New factory tow mirrors??