An Idea for my 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Louie3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Idea for my 5.0

I used to be top DAWG in a flat highway racing against a couple of friends except for my buddies 96 4.6L GT Cobra mustang. Would adding a supercharger to my truck be worth it to ensure I'm number 1 for a while?

I looked at Kenne Bell SC but I dont see any for trucks just a 5.0 mustang. Would this be the one. Doesn anyone know where to get the best supercharger for a low budget?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:54 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Louie3
I used to be top DAWG in a flat highway racing against a couple of friends except for my buddies 96 4.6L GT Cobra mustang. Would adding a supercharger to my truck be worth it to ensure I'm number 1 for a while?

I looked at Kenne Bell SC but I dont see any for trucks just a 5.0 mustang. Would this be the one. Doesn anyone know where to get the best supercharger for a low budget?
Kenne bell and Whipple both make positive displacement superchargers, they make max boost at very low RPM's and it makes for a party kick @$$ set up. Other superchargers are most likely going to be centrifugal and makes more boost as the rpm's increase, not great for off the line. I would either do the kenne bell kit or a custom turbo set up.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Louie3
Senior User
Yeah they would work great for what I need it for. The most we do is a 1/4mile or from a certian street light to another.
So since they come in kits its just a bolt on and do a little here and there. Oh and do I need to upgrade anything else?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
You may be able to find a used KB kit for a mid/late 90's truck but I would not recommend one of those for a 1/4 race vs a centrifugal. Kenne Bell did offer a kit at one time and I don't remember Whipple making a kit for a 5.0 truck.
The KB compressors are decent indeed, but the supporting hardware for these trucks is was a limiting factor. Another thing is that the a centrifugal kit, like a Vortech, will support loads of power.

As far as other upgrades, how much $$$ do you have to work with, what are your goals???

Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Louie3
Senior User
By the end of june I'll have a nice 3500 to work with

well the supercharger which ever one has to provide all around power since a race can happen anywhere

Old 05-31-2008, 08:30 AM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blurry94
You may be able to find a used KB kit for a mid/late 90's truck but I would not recommend one of those for a 1/4 race vs a centrifugal. Kenne Bell did offer a kit at one time and I don't remember Whipple making a kit for a 5.0 truck.
The KB compressors are decent indeed, but the supporting hardware for these trucks is was a limiting factor. Another thing is that the a centrifugal kit, like a Vortech, will support loads of power.

As far as other upgrades, how much $$$ do you have to work with, what are your goals???
Are you talking about the FMU and the chip that comes with it. That kind of supporting hard wear? If so I an agree to that the used kenne bell would defiantly need to ditch the FMU, get bigger injectors, Keep the Boost A Pump, and get a custom tune from a local performance shop

Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Blurry94
Actually, the inlet tract was restrictive, even for the little compressors that those kits were equipped with. That and belt slippage seemed to be an issue as well, which didn't leave much room for modifications.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blurry94
Actually, the inlet tract was restrictive, even for the little compressors that those kits were equipped with. That and belt slippage seemed to be an issue as well, which didn't leave much room for modifications.
Are you talking about the deck that the SC sits on? I could see that being a little restrictive, and not sure what you mean by small compressor, all i know is that i get the 6 psi when i hammer down lol and if your not paying attention it is easy to start running full boost while going up a hill at 1500 rpm. And as for the no room for modification, you can always swap pulleys and can try different things like water/ meth injection.

Would you say that the Whipple is the same way? I'm intorested to hear your opinion on this.

oh and sorry for the

Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Blurry94
The inlet tract, not the lower intake, became a restriction with higher boost levels. The kits offered for the early/mid 90's pickups were also 6 rib, and they rode on the same belt as the accessories I believe.

A Whipple compressor would be a good upgrade, however, I don't remember seeing a factory kit for the Windsor powered pickups.