1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ford coe sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by omgitsangers
I'm sure you've heard this before but I don't have them with me honestly tho, I used my sister's camera, so I'll have to see about uploading them this weekend since I work the graveyard shift.

It's a '54 C800 Big Job semi tractor. the A and B pillars are rotted, some ***** (probably my age) jumped onto the mirror and pulled the top of the door away from the truck on both sides, whoever drove it last MISSED the trailer backing up, smashing the back of the cab INTO the sleeper. their solution was to raise the 5th wheel by putting it on 2x6's, frame's twisted and some of the welds are broke as a result, airbrakes are junk from the compressor to the drums (and he seems to think he can get shoes for $12 a piece ), the 317 lincoln is open on the intake and exaust so it's filled with water, rodents, etc. that's about $3-5k in itself. no floors in cab, both transmissions are seized, the split rims are ready to split for good, the floors/cab corners/doors/hood/fenders/cowl/firewall and every little seam is rotted to death. they drove it into something HARD because the bumper is twisted around the passenger frame horn which bent the fender accordingly. whoever installed the sleeper did an excellent job welding the sides, but for whatever reason used rivets on the back of the cab, which are pulling apart. the seat smells funny but aside from the windshield it's the only solid part of the truck

he seems to think he could restore it for $10k including hired help. I'm seeing $20 doing it myself with ALOT of favors thrown in.

when I told him the price was alittle steep he threatened to crush it. b@stard. If my grandfather hadn't owned one (no sleeper) I would never have bothered with it. oh well. once i finish the payments I can pick it up and start the resto.

Sounds wonderful, and Also Like you really really want this truck!

Cheers

Josh

Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM
omgitsangers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea how to post pics but here's the link

Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Is that the engine in that silver thingy.......Looks like a lot of work but worthy of a restoration.

Paul

Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
omgitsangers
New User
silver thingy? you mean the dragster? that's running a sbc. the truck has the 317 lincoln and 5+3 gearbox.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I went and looked at the pictures. Thanks for all the shots. It appears that it is going to take a serious amount of work to bring this one back. BUT having said that I think the rareity of it makes it worth while.

I know a lot would restore it as it sits but the darksider in me can look at it and see what a cool COE w/late model running gear this would be. IF I had time, money, and space I would grab that in a heart beat. It is so different.
jim

Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
omgitsangers
New User
I have no idea what I'm gonna do about the running gear and brakes, but the cab/engine and trans will stay together. if I can't find parts for it maybe I can use the suspension from my dad's C600. he wants to run 16's in place of the split 20's.

but I don't have to worry about it till I pay it off

Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Nojive55
Senior User
You know you have the full emotional support of this site behind you (we all got our projects to fund so that's as far as it goes). I have seen custom crewcabs and supercabs built around this theme but an original period correct sleeper would be head and shoulders above those. It takes a certain amount of foolishness to take on something like this but if you are successful it will be a great achievment. Now if it had a twin-screw tandem axel rear end.........

Old 04-27-2011, 01:54 AM
omgitsangers
New User
Hah! I actually wanted to build a tandem, but not with this truck. looking for an umolested '54 or early '55 GMC cabover cab. got the idea from a video game:

Army Truck
GMC cab

not sure why the first pic came out with the messed up background. Anyway, I was planning on using an M35A2, and swapping the cabs. I wouldn't chop it tho.

M35: $3-6k
Cab: $0-1k

one of my cheaper ideas

Old 11-25-2014, 05:04 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
So, did you get it, restore it?