1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Controller Hookup

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:35 PM
MainePSMan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Controller Hookup

I just recently purchased a used 2005 F250 Lariat that does not have the factory installed brake controller. The dealer gave me a pigtail that he said would work to hook up an aftermarket Controller. The problem is, I cant find a plug under the dash that this pigtail will plug into. Is it even possible to use an aftermarket controller, or do I have to spend $400 on an OEM one?
Also, I noticed a small "pod" about 2 inches square hanging from the stem on my rearview mirror. It has a single button on the top of it. Does anyone know what this is? Dealer said it was the electronic compass. I believe he is full of.......
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 PM
sidedown
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed a Prodigy brake controller in my 05 F-250. It's easy if you get a special harness made specific for the controller and vehicle. The plug to use is attached to the back of the compartment under the 4X4 switch. That compartment slides out easy, just pull down on the 2 tabs at the upper corners. I installed the brake controller in that compartment and ran the wire harness by cutting a small hole in the back of the compartment and using some velcro to hold the brake controller in place. Took about 5 minutes for the whole install.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:14 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to another thread discussing the same topic
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...e-control.html

Here is a link to the pig tail instructions and pics
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q119.pdf

Here is a link that shows how to wire the controller
Marksrv.com 7 way wiring diagram page