Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

HONDA outstrips Ford sales

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:52 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
HONDA outstrips Ford sales

Ok, Toyota overtaking Ford... fair enough.

Honda???

Honda overtakes Ford as #3 brand in U.S., gunning for Chevrolet's #2 spot

Who out there is buying the Ridgeline? I mean really

Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya gotta look at the fine print. They did not count fleet sales, retail only. Thats fine if they want to exclude cars dumped at a loss to Hertz, but what about police, taxi, limo and governments at all levels. I'll bet a lot of Ranger, F and E series go to business and government fleets.

Jim

Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Brian429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think Ridgelines are whats moving them up into that spot. Its their fuel efficient cars.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Ya gotta look at the fine print. They did not count fleet sales, retail only. Thats fine if they want to exclude cars dumped at a loss to Hertz, but what about police, taxi, limo and governments at all levels. I'll bet a lot of Ranger, F and E series go to business and government fleets.

Jim
A fair point... and one I didn't even consider.

Thanks!

(Nonetheless, it is pretty concerning!)

Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
02Taco
Senior User
x2 on the car sales. With gas going up, the 4 bangers are looking a lot more tempting. Most people dont need HP and torque just to travel to work.
My DD is an 88 honda CRX, still gets about 33 MPG where as the B3000 & Tacoma are getting around 17ish.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
65Ranger
Freshman User
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over. I try to keep my head up...People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:18 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 65Ranger
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over.
Japanese cars took over a long time ago...

Tim

Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 AM
elmo8641
Elder User
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over. I try to keep my head up...People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN!
people don't need to be more patriotic, ford, chevy, dodge need to build better cars. when i spend $30,000 i want the most out of my money. my wifes explorer has been a good car, but i have read alot of bad things about the tranny and wheel bearing and 4x4 system. i am a honda tech and i can tell you that these are not problems that honda's are having. the older 99-03 had tranny problems but honda is still replacing them for free. ford would never do that.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by elmo8641
i am a honda tech and i can tell you that these are not problems that honda's are having. the older 99-03 had tranny problems but honda is still replacing them for free. ford would never do that.
Just don't cross a ditch in a Ridgeline, the bodies like to tweak and crease.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
It isn't your patriotic duty to buy a vehicle that doesn't suit your needs. clearly the consumers are making individual choices about what suits each of them.
If a company builds a product that the consumers want, it will sell. Maybe Ford should work on that.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't realize Honda was number 4..I thought they were closer to mazda for volume. Either way, I still don't see why the cr-v sells so much. I've driven my mom's a few times and I hate everything about it. Then again I'm not exactly the target customer. The rest of the hondas are pretty ugo too.

Ford can't get the Fiesta/kuga/c-2 focus/f100/new ranger/explorer/bronco/whatever here fast enough...

Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by captain p4
I've driven my mom's a few times and I hate everything about it. Then again I'm not exactly the target customer. The rest of the hondas are pretty ugo too.
I've driven/rode in my neighbors crv quite a bit and didn't like anything about it either...there's no room at all inside...My mom has an 07 accord and I like it...

Tim

Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN! "

American BUSINESSES need to get more patriotic and produce what the market demands under the rules of good old-fashioned capitalism. Serve the customer or DIE.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by captain p4
I didn't realize Honda was number 4..I thought they were closer to mazda for volume. Either way, I still don't see why the cr-v sells so much. I've driven my mom's a few times and I hate everything about it. Then again I'm not exactly the target customer. The rest of the hondas are pretty ugo too.

Ford can't get the Fiesta/kuga/c-2 focus/f100/new ranger/explorer/bronco/whatever here fast enough...
Women love CR-Vs for some reason, I don't know why. It would be funny to clamp a vise grip on the rear axle of one of the AWD CR-Vs and see what happens. The things like 5/8" dia.

Every build/price a Honda on their site. Limited colors, limited engines, limited options in general and a top dollar price. People are willing to pay for a trouble free and reliable vehicle and thats what every automaker should strive for. The american makers offer more options to get a vehicle the way you want it and honestly I like that, but most people don't care and just buy off the lot.

Ford is bringing out a new version of the Fiesta similar to the one sold in europe for many years.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried.

This past week the wife and I went to buy a Focus - and ended up getting a Toyota Corolla.

On the same dealer lot (used of course), we drove a Ford Focus, A Mazda-3 (what I really wanted due to the nice 2.3 engine and "Auto-Stick" feature), and a Toyota Corolla.

The Focus drove well, well priced, and got the mileage we wanted (30+).

The Mazda-3 didn't fit me! At 6'2" my knees were literally touching the dashboard with the seat all the way back.

So, that left it between the Focus and Corolla. We drove the Corolla and it was a no-brainer. The seats in the Corolla were MUCH more comfortable than the Focus, which surprised me.

We would have bought the Ford but those seats were pathetic. The Toyota drove as well if not better, more comfortable, AND gets better gas mileage (35-40 MPG).

Like some of the others said, in a capitalist market the top product wins. As it should be.

Ford needs to get their butt in gear (which includes canning the UAW), and produce some highly reliable, desirable vehicles.

I tried to buy American, but it just didn't make sense.

CMOS