Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
HONDA outstrips Ford sales

Ok, Toyota overtaking Ford... fair enough.

Honda???

Honda overtakes Ford as #3 brand in U.S., gunning for Chevrolet's #2 spot

Who out there is buying the Ridgeline? I mean really
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Ya gotta look at the fine print. They did not count fleet sales, retail only. Thats fine if they want to exclude cars dumped at a loss to Hertz, but what about police, taxi, limo and governments at all levels. I'll bet a lot of Ranger, F and E series go to business and government fleets.

Jim
Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior User

Brian429 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think Ridgelines are whats moving them up into that spot. Its their fuel efficient cars.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmandy View Post
Ya gotta look at the fine print. They did not count fleet sales, retail only. Thats fine if they want to exclude cars dumped at a loss to Hertz, but what about police, taxi, limo and governments at all levels. I'll bet a lot of Ranger, F and E series go to business and government fleets.

Jim
A fair point... and one I didn't even consider.

Thanks!

(Nonetheless, it is pretty concerning!)
Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Senior User

02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
x2 on the car sales. With gas going up, the 4 bangers are looking a lot more tempting. Most people dont need HP and torque just to travel to work.
My DD is an 88 honda CRX, still gets about 33 MPG where as the B3000 & Tacoma are getting around 17ish.

2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 - 2.0 SAW coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 5125s in the rear, TRD headers, TRD Exhaust, BFG ATs, Grey Wire Mod, 2 Low Mod, and more to come.

1988 Honda CRX - B18b swap, Intake, Intake Manifold, Headers, Exhaust, 8lb flywheel, and more to come.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Freshman User

65Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over. I try to keep my head up...People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Post Fiend

thorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Ranger View Post
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over.
Japanese cars took over a long time ago...

Tim
Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Elder User

elmo8641 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over. I try to keep my head up...People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN!
people don't need to be more patriotic, ford, chevy, dodge need to build better cars. when i spend $30,000 i want the most out of my money. my wifes explorer has been a good car, but i have read alot of bad things about the tranny and wheel bearing and 4x4 system. i am a honda tech and i can tell you that these are not problems that honda's are having. the older 99-03 had tranny problems but honda is still replacing them for free. ford would never do that.

1994 cobra w/ trickflow heads, 10lb turbo
Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Elder User

Big Bad has a good reputation on FTE.Big Bad has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo8641 View Post
i am a honda tech and i can tell you that these are not problems that honda's are having. the older 99-03 had tranny problems but honda is still replacing them for free. ford would never do that.
Just don't cross a ditch in a Ridgeline, the bodies like to tweak and crease.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Postmaster

seventyseven250 is a name known to allseventyseven250 is a name known to allseventyseven250 is a name known to allseventyseven250 is a name known to allseventyseven250 is a name known to allseventyseven250 is a name known to all
Quote:
It isn't your patriotic duty to buy a vehicle that doesn't suit your needs. clearly the consumers are making individual choices about what suits each of them.
If a company builds a product that the consumers want, it will sell. Maybe Ford should work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd View Post
Holy hell, its not even 9am and you folks are gonna drive me to drink....
Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Post Fiend

captain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud of
I didn't realize Honda was number 4..I thought they were closer to mazda for volume. Either way, I still don't see why the cr-v sells so much. I've driven my mom's a few times and I hate everything about it. Then again I'm not exactly the target customer. The rest of the hondas are pretty ugo too.

Ford can't get the Fiesta/kuga/c-2 focus/f100/new ranger/explorer/bronco/whatever here fast enough...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Post Fiend

thorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant futurethorseshoeing has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain p4 View Post
I've driven my mom's a few times and I hate everything about it. Then again I'm not exactly the target customer. The rest of the hondas are pretty ugo too.
I've driven/rode in my neighbors crv quite a bit and didn't like anything about it either...there's no room at all inside...My mom has an 07 accord and I like it...

Tim
Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
"People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN! "

American BUSINESSES need to get more patriotic and produce what the market demands under the rules of good old-fashioned capitalism. Serve the customer or DIE.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain p4 View Post
I didn't realize Honda was number 4..I thought they were closer to mazda for volume. Either way, I still don't see why the cr-v sells so much. I've driven my mom's a few times and I hate everything about it. Then again I'm not exactly the target customer. The rest of the hondas are pretty ugo too.

Ford can't get the Fiesta/kuga/c-2 focus/f100/new ranger/explorer/bronco/whatever here fast enough...
Women love CR-Vs for some reason, I don't know why. It would be funny to clamp a vise grip on the rear axle of one of the AWD CR-Vs and see what happens. The things like 5/8" dia.

Every build/price a Honda on their site. Limited colors, limited engines, limited options in general and a top dollar price. People are willing to pay for a trouble free and reliable vehicle and thats what every automaker should strive for. The american makers offer more options to get a vehicle the way you want it and honestly I like that, but most people don't care and just buy off the lot.

Ford is bringing out a new version of the Fiesta similar to the one sold in europe for many years.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Posting Guru

CMOS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:

I tried.

This past week the wife and I went to buy a Focus - and ended up getting a Toyota Corolla.

On the same dealer lot (used of course), we drove a Ford Focus, A Mazda-3 (what I really wanted due to the nice 2.3 engine and "Auto-Stick" feature), and a Toyota Corolla.

The Focus drove well, well priced, and got the mileage we wanted (30+).

The Mazda-3 didn't fit me! At 6'2" my knees were literally touching the dashboard with the seat all the way back.

So, that left it between the Focus and Corolla. We drove the Corolla and it was a no-brainer. The seats in the Corolla were MUCH more comfortable than the Focus, which surprised me.

We would have bought the Ford but those seats were pathetic. The Toyota drove as well if not better, more comfortable, AND gets better gas mileage (35-40 MPG).

Like some of the others said, in a capitalist market the top product wins. As it should be.

Ford needs to get their butt in gear (which includes canning the UAW), and produce some highly reliable, desirable vehicles.

I tried to buy American, but it just didn't make sense.

CMOS

"Faith in Government defies both history and reason."
Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition