Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

HONDA outstrips Ford sales

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CMOS
I tried to buy American, but it just didn't make sense.

CMOS
Sad but true.

That statement is like throwing holy water on the devil to about 5 or 6 members here...

Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 AM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Sad but true.

That statement is like throwing holy water on the devil to about 5 or 6 members here...

I'm an old school die-hard American patriot, but I'm also a capitalist. The Yota is a better product. Period.

CMOS

Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jd power just ranked honda and porsche(spelling) number 1 and 2 in overall quality

Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem I have with those "initial quality" surveys, which are taken at the 90 day point is that they ask too much about the whole "experience" rather than just the facts about build quality and defects. I find big-city Ford dealerships the worst as far as old-time bad sales "experience". Dodge and Toyota are not far behind. GM (not just Saturn) and Honda dealerships just seem to be less high-pressure.

The three year survey is more informative, but lags too long to make a buying decision if a company has improved or gone down the toilet in the last couple of years.

Jim

Old 07-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
The ford focus has been listed on some of the high quality lists for a while. Probably not a bad buy but the corolla feels more comfortable to us 6ft plus guys. I will speculate both are of similar quality with corolla getting the better mileage. I compared both and decided to go with the corolla like you and am now waiting for one that the price is right on. With some hypermililng techniques I bet I can get 45mpg.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM
westladog
Senior User
What a joke!
So since the big three can't compete with the Japanese, you're using the "patriotic" game to get people to buy american?

Just build better vehicles and people will buy. It's that simple.

Originally Posted by 65Ranger
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over. I try to keep my head up...People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by CMOS
I'm an old school die-hard American patriot, but I'm also a capitalist. The Yota is a better product. Period.

CMOS
Wrong. Period.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
westladog
Senior User
This line of reasoning is getting really old.

The Toyota plans in Texas create jobs for Americans, fool!
The dodge vehicles built in Mexico are patriotic? What about the Ford/GM built in Canada?

Build a vehicle that people want to buy.

Originally Posted by 65Ranger
cryin shame that the japanese cars are takin over. I try to keep my head up...People need to get more patriotic and buy AMERICAN!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:52 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by westladog
Agreed!

The dodge vehicles built in Mexico are patriotic? What about the Ford/GM built in Canada?
I find it funny that whenever the fact that Canada and Mexico build Ford/GM vehicles that it becomes a moot point. I guess seeing that we/they are neighbors to the US and different countries, it doesn't make it foreign? Also lets overlook the fact that Ford has built new factories in China and India and how many new jobs have they created on "home soil"?

Just and observation, I won't be surprised to hear a rebutal on this.....

It seems pretty easy. Alot of people get on Toyota because they seemed to have the media brainwashed into thinking that they are the cream of the crop. ( good for them ) But don't you think Ford playes that game in making the F150 the "best selling" truck in North America?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Big Bad
Elder User

You would have a point, if the assembly plant was the end-all, be-all of creating cars.

Who spends more on R&D in the US, Ford/GM or Honda/Toyota? Who has more vested in the US economy? Who employs more white collar staff? Which set of manufacturers provides more American jobs?

You people that buy into this global b.s. are too myopic in your view on the topic.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Almost every wiring harness in your Ford is made in Mexico as well!
NAFTA needs to be eliminated. Period.
Bring the jobs back over here and keep improving the quality of our American vehicles and all of the big 3 will benefit!!
I personally will only buy from 2 of the big 3 and none from an import.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
US management used to be able to produce products that were competitive overseas. Why reward incompetence by buying what doesn't compete?

Caterpillar exports plenty of heavy equipment, worldwide, and uses lots of US labor to do it. There is no inherent reason the rest of US industry cannot compete.

Drive down wages which will drive down expenditures which will drive down prices (note how quickly gasoline dropped with reduced consumption) and compete with the world LIKE WE USED TO. Reduced wages will force reduction in the consumption of foreign-made consumer goods and force down the prices of anyone who wants to sell anything in this country. We need a wage realignment to compete, and we may get that due to deflation.

There is nothing the rest of the world makes that we cannot make, but our labor is currently too expensive (and consumer good prices reflect this). If our competitors can rise from disaster (China had almost no industry in 1948) so can we. IMO because we cling to symbols like GM and Ford it is a drag on remaking the economy, just as the bitter refusal of US companies to invest in capital equipment ensured our foreign competitors would eat up our market share.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:07 AM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Love our Ridgeline ! BEST $29K spent.

WAY better quality then our Chev or Fords in the driveway...............