1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Lock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
FourbynFord
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire Lock Replacement

So I have had my truck for almost two years and never really given any thought to the fact that I have a lock on my spare. I recently discovered that I am missing the Key. After searching on here it seems the best thing to do is buy a replacment lock and key. So I did! The lock lokks to be very easy to replace, IF your spare is already down. Mine is not. Any ideas on how to get the spres down without the original key? I really don't want to cut the cable. I checked with the local dealer to see if they kept a master key set and was told that they didn't. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
You really didn't need to buy a new lock, you just needed to identify the key. Not all dealers have the master key set, but you should be able to find one. A hint on that however, most of the folks at the dealership may not even know they have it. Call the shop foreman and ask. They keep the kit locked up to prevent abuse.

But if you still want to do it your way, I would lift the bed. It's very easy to do and you will have full access to work on the top side of the spare tire.

You can see how easy it is to lift the bed here:
Powerstroke Fuel Tank Modification

Bill

Old 05-28-2008, 06:31 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've also heard people talk about getting the dealer to use their "master key" to get the tire down.

Last month when I swapped out my tires I was in panic mode for a while because I couldn't find my key. Ended up finding it in the owner's manual case Once I finished I stuck it in the tire tool pouch.

Good luck with this.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was missing from day one also. Dealer ordered a master kit that had roughly 8 keys in it. Handed me the kit to see which one fit it and then ordered me that key. This was the first time they ever came across a need for the master kit but now that they have it, they claim to use it all the time. If your dealer doesnt already have a master kit there is no reason they shouldnt invest in one. Hmmm, I wonder how many trade ins on their used lot are missing their keys???

Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
ageel
Junior User
I read somewhere (probably on here) that you can drive a cheap socket (9/16?) on the end of a couple long extensions and turn it enough to get the spare out of the way. Now that you have a new lock on hand it should be easy to tell what it would take to do it.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:52 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mcgard.com distributes the original lock and key sets. If you can take a look at your lock you can order a new key for like $25.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Once again I would like to remind everyone to fill out the registration card that comes with the key in their truck and send it in to McGard. They then keep on file which key goes with which VIN number.

You may be able to call McGard and have them look up what key you have it the original owner registered it. They may ask you to verify ownership somehow.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
FourbynFord
Senior User
Problem solved! I went to a few diffrent dealers and finally found one with a master set. I had them lower the spare and I put the new lock and key on myself in about 2 minutes. Raised it back up and now I'm good to go!

Thanks for the replies!
Fourbynford

Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Good deal! Glad to hear it worked out for ya.