1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My F6 widowmaker wheel replacement experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
TexasHemmi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea driving the RV from Illinois to TX is more of a wishful thinking.

My daughter a wannabe filmmaker offered to come along and make a documentary of an old man driving a junk RV cross-country. All the obstacles that surely would present them self's on such a journey would make for a great film. To me this does not sound as appealing as to her. She is only moderately interested in my old pickup but this surprisingly excited about this film making opportunity.

But I am thinking about letting her down and I will call Bob tomorrow and he will most likely will "part-out" the RV and if so I made him an offer on the wheels and the plan is to ship them on a pallet down here if this goes after.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Do I understand correctly that you've talked to Bob and that he's agreed to sell them to you, and ship, when he parts it out? That's great. I told him that I'd be a buyer of last resort of the wheels if nobody came forward just to keep them from going to the scrapper. Stu

Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
TexasHemmi
New User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Do I understand correctly that you've talked to Bob and that he's agreed to sell them to you, and ship, when he parts it out? That's great. I told him that I'd be a buyer of last resort of the wheels if nobody came forward just to keep them from going to the scrapper. Stu
Yes

He mentioned you and asked who I was. I told him that I was in Texas but you were the person that posted on the Ford Bulletin Board and you you had told me (or us on the board) about the RV (or the wheels).

But yes he agreed to sell the set to me for $ 700.00 (seven wheels) and I told him I would have a freight company pick it up. But as far as I understand this will only be a deal if the other guy wants the engine/tranny and/or other parts and I am supposed to call tomorrow Wednesday to find out.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
The fellow is probably gonna be money ahead to sell it for parts, and you and the other guy are happy with the deal. Sounds like a win/win. Let me know if for some reason it falls through so I can keep track of it.

Edit - as I've thought about this, that rear axle wouldn't be bad to have too. Probably a good road gear, and with the 5 lug hubs would allow one of these old trucks to have better road speed. Stu

Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Edit - as I've thought about this, that rear axle wouldn't be bad to have too. Probably a good road gear, and with the 5 lug hubs would allow one of these old trucks to have better road speed. Stu
Stu, good idea, I wish I had thought about this with the two RVs I got my wheels. Do you have to know the width of the RV axles? I suppose it's not too important on a larger truck unless it's really way off.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
No, I don't, but I can go check it easy enough. The motor home is a short wheel base unit so it won't be too awful wide. Stu

Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
TexasHemmi
New User
I got the wheels today... as far as I can tell they look great ..

Thank you Stu..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Um....it's a little dark isn't it?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
TexasHemmi
New User
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Um....it's a little dark isn't it?
The photo is a png file does it show up as black square in you browser ?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:55 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
I saw that the motorhome wasn't sitting in its normal spot, so wondered if you'd finalized the deal. Glad it worked out.

I'm on the road right now heading home from Yellowstone and stopped a while ago and saw a '62 or so F-500 on a sales lot wearing a full set of 22.5s. When I get home I'll post the location and phone number if anybody wants to check into the truck. Stu

Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm out wandering to find more stuff stu ??????????????????????? LOL !!!!!!!!!!! haven't been paying attention to much to the wierd stuff in town or i might have noticed it , the motorhome myself .............. my buddy norm came up with another running 440 and auto here not too long ago , i wonder if he's the one who bought the driveline outta that thing ................ oh and don't tell me your on vacation and not looking , your post said it all about the truck ya seen . i can't go anywhere without brenda getting ticked at me as i'm always looking for things with curves if ya know what i mean ........

Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all this info on the big trucks. I've never had one, but I live in a farming community and I see lots of old rigs here and there. Not too many Fords, but some, mostly IH's. But someday I'd like to get a big truck project and I see how critical the wheel issue is. I've never actually looked closely and have never had anything with the split rims etc. So this has been a great turorial for me.

There's a lot of old big trucks around here. I'm sure I'll find something someday. And now I know a little more about wheels.

Goodluck

Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The guy up the road from me drop by today. He's the one with the several 60's Fords. Anyway, he was looking at the remnants of the F6 in the front yard. In conversation, he was saying he had a cage for installing tires on widowmakers (and said he does them all the time, as he's the only one in the area, and would never do it wo/ cage). I thought that was nice to know, anyway. He's also got a bunch of 9 x 20's, but I think they may be too wide for my rims.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Guys who brag about working on WMs drive me nuts. I suppose you could do 100 without a problem. I've heard a lot of guys who laugh and say they just throw a chain around them and inflate them. Even if a guy has a cage he's only confronting one part of the danger. If they don't don't blow apart during inflation there is the chance they may blow apart while slowing deflating, like while driving down the street or parked some where. The danger might be well known by the guy working on them and inflating them so he'll take extra care like using a cage. It's the schoo who is next to the truck out in public that has no idea that something could happen that's in real danger. As Stu has stated many times, these were a bad design when new and haven't gotten better with age.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:39 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The parts F6 in the front yard needs to go away. The junkyard guy hasn't come to get it, because the tires are all flat, and won't roll up his rollback. This guy that stopped by, wants the truck. Therefore, the conversation about the tires came into play. I'm thinking to myself, "The brake drums are probably locked up, and that's why the tires all went flat from the PO moving it in the first place, but if he wants to do the wheels so it will roll, go for it." If he wants to tow it up the road, I'm game. He has a wrecker to do it.....60's Ford vintage of course, lol. Now, I just found it interesting that nobody in the entire region will touch these wheels, and yet I find out some guy up the road from me has a cage, lol. The irony is that there's nobody that lives up here in general. We're talking population 20, in about a 30 mile radius.

Quick Reply: My F6 widowmaker wheel replacement experience