Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Best diesel truck combo out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best diesel truck combo out there?

MODIFIED 1995 FORD F350 CREW CAB DIESEL 4X4 - Saskatoon Trucks & Vans For Sale - Kijiji Saskatoon

I like the idea I know my dad's 93 Dodge is a hunk of crap but the motor is top notch.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Here it is again.
Earlier I started this thread on it-''A truck for Sheldon'': https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...r-sheldon.html

Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Well as the famous Ukrainian comic Nestor Pistor would say "Here we go again"

Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've always said... the best combination would be an all ford truck with cummins or perkins power... cummins has a black mark on it for me, being a dodge associate, but easily forgiven when in a ford...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:53 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I have had a liking for Cummins right along. We have had lots of them in semis ranging from an old 290 hp in a 1974 Freightliner to 4 or 5 400 hp in other trucks. They have had some bad stuff too - the first of the Big Cam 3 855 engines were weak. We bought a new one in 1984 and had the engine done on warranty 4 times in 4 years (they had an extended warranty called Compucheck back then because they were losing market share to the big yellow Cats that was 4 years/400000 mile). The engines would start to use oil and eventually burn a few gallons a day. What was happening was that the liners were moving in the block and getting oval shaped. Every 'fix' had some new technology, usually different liners and different piston/ring combinations. The fix ended up being cutting the block to go with lower press fit liners and this fixed the problem. We have had 3 different Cummins engines in our Steiger tractors and our 1680 combines, Magnum tractors, and a few SP swathers all had Cummins power.
However, my Dad was a Cat fan - we had half a dozen of the big yellow brutes and they were better, I must concede. However, bring a big cheque book when/if they need repair. If I were to buy another semi, it would have a CAT.

On edit - we had a few Perkins engines in Massey tractors but they never impressed us much!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I guess I was rambling on - the saying that 'the little 5.9 is a great engine, too bad its in a Dodge' is quite common! My cousin just bought another Dodge - a 2006 this time. The automatic transmissions behind them isnt too great, but in 06 or 07 I heard they were better.
I think the best combo out there is a 2002 or early 2003 Superduty with a 7.3 but its hard to find any low mileage ones anymore. Then my vote would be Dmax but this is based entirely on experience - not emotion. My brother has one and he works his hard. A few friends have them and they just dont give problems. The 6.0 and 6.4 just havent been winners and this too is based on 200000 kms with one and listening to other guys with them and the mechanics who work on them. I personally dont like the Dodge truck.
I am confident that once FORD breaks that losing relationship with Navistar and builds their own diesel, it will be a damn good engine. I would bet on that one but till it comes along, the Dmax gets my cheque book vote!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
man, you've been brainwashed d-max or something. i've talked with the diesel techs at the diesel shop here and that d-max is no better than the 6.0, even less so than the 6.4... only benifet to them is the possibilities of more power. the head mechanic drives an '06 6.0 i'd figure he'd steer clear of them like the plague if it was that bad... on edit, all this was written without meaning to offend...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
From the reading Ive done on the dura"crap" , is that they are supposed to be quite abit better then the 6 liters, at least the earlier ones. I havent really read about them lately, so with the "legendary reliable" 2007 6 liter, it might be a different story. My boss at the tire shop had a 03 DM, and we used it to town and haul stuff with when the 6 liter ford shop truck broke down, and It didnt do anything my 7.3 couldnt handle. It wasnt bad, but didnt impress me either. On the same hand my 7.3 felt almost identical to the 6 liter ford shop truck we had, it didnt feel any more powerfull at all.
I can see why warren is changing over to a chevy, even though I personally wouldnt. He has had one of those problematic 6 liters, and once you have problems like he has, its hard to wanna try your luck with the same kind of truck again.

Ive always liked the 5.9 cummins in the pickups. To me cummins just got stuck with a crappy truck though, but anyone who is a diesel guy knows they are good reliable proven engines. In stock form they dont always have more power then a powerstroke, but they are supposedly so detuned, and it takes very little money to get them to be a screamer.

One of the best stock combos out there so far would either be a 7.3 with a 6 speed manual, or a cummins with a manual. We will see how the 07 6 liter turns out in time but it might be up there IF it can manage the longevity and reliability.

In semis and tractors I have limited experience with the cummins. At work we have mainly cats, and they are good engines. My only real beef with the cat is they dont pull down low, where the few cummins I have driven, do. Cummins are the cheapest to rebuild also, and sometimes a person has to take that into consideration.
The one cummins we do have at work is an n14 (supposed to be one of the best cummins big truck engines) and it does ok, but I wouldnt say it does better or worse then any of the comparible cats we have there.

For tractors we have mainly had JD since I can remember. We had one massey and one case when I was really young, and I cant really remember how or what those engines were, but I do know they got replaced by a JD as soon as my dad could afford it.
We also have nothing but great luck with our JD's. They really have been amazing.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In my experience the best diesel engines in pickups for reliability where the 7.3 and the 12v 5.9, most of the newer engines since then have all had their demons. As for heavy duty equipment Cat gets my vote and JD is way at the bottom of the page. Cummins and Detroit are somewhere in the middle. They all have there perks but JD has a poor tourque curve (the older ones, 50 series and older) and are thursty brutes and the old v71 detroits are loud but are very easy on fuel.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I can see why warren is changing over to a chevy, even though I personally wouldnt. He has had one of those problematic 6 liters, and once you have problems like he has, its hard to wanna try your luck with the same kind of truck again.
great statement. all i hope it that he doesn't get the best of luck with the duramax... personally, i'd continue with a ford, knowing that problems may arise is a part of owning mechanical things... his 6.0 is a first year production deal... always better to let someone else have that headache, but someone's gotta find the problem. i'd be hesitant to buy the first round of anything... wait until they've worked out the kinks... yes.... i've brainwashed myself FORD!!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I wont hesitate to buy the first Ford Superduty with their own engine - they build some really good stuff and would be much happier with the r and d on their own vs a third party supplier. I DO like the Superduty platform better than the Chevy but have a bad taste in my mouth over the reliability of the 6.0/6.4. I was just talking to the service manager in Humboldt and he said that lots of the first generation issues of the 6.0 ( and even more so the first of the 6.0) are much improved on the 6.4. However, fuel mileage is embarassing (emissions driven - I guess its ok to burn much more fuel but have it come out cleaner)!!
I sometimes can be an a$$ about this stuff and I never mean to offend either, but I do like to razz, have fun, but sometimes go too far!!!
I have also had good luck with the older Detroits (mostly 6v92) in farm tandems - drive em like you stole them and they are not as fussy about warm up/cool down but still need some. They are well suited to the short haul stuff around the farm. Also, the puddle of oil on the ground shows that its marking its territory.
I had one 60 series Detroit but it was a 1990 or 1991 model in a KW. I didnt like it much. it was something like a 425 or 435 / 460 or 470 on cruise. We had problems with some heads and didnt have good luck with the electronics. I sold it to the young guy who was driving it and now he bought a Pete with another Detroit and it seems to be okay. They are a bit better on fuel and thats a big deal now.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
As Corner gas stated I agree also I like the 12V 5.9 Cummings, not so hot on the 24V.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Corner Gas
In my experience the best diesel engines in pickups for reliability where the 7.3 and the 12v 5.9, most of the newer engines since then have all had their demons. As for heavy duty equipment Cat gets my vote and JD is way at the bottom of the page. Cummins and Detroit are somewhere in the middle. They all have there perks but JD has a poor tourque curve (the older ones, 50 series and older) and are thursty brutes and the old v71 detroits are loud but are very easy on fuel.
I know we have loved the torque from our jd's but we only have had case, and massey to compare it too, but jd has been heads and shoulders above!

I dont know how it works for equipment, but the cat torque curve is quite abit lower then a cummins, but not quite as low as a detroit.

Im curious what model of JD's have you experienced the low torque with? We have an older 1830 (small tractor) an older 4320, a 4640, and a 8650 at my dads farm, and they have all been excellent for the equip we run!

We do however lean more on the reliability of them more then anything though. That 4640 of ours has over 10,000 on it, and has had no major repairs. Our 8650 I dont recall the hours on it, but has had zero problems either, and that ones even tuned up abit over the stock hp.

The other two tractors get used very lightly and only the 4320 has had a head gasket done.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
1 motor I'd like to mention is the Allis Chalmers 426. My dad has a Allis Chalmers 7030 with one at 9-10000 hours the bottom end was redone at 6000 hours but it has been one good unit. Allis Chalmers used it from 1965ish til their dimize in 1983 (with improvments of course) it was used everywhere from a 100hp. base model up to a 220 hp. 4wd model motor.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Ive heard good things about smaller A/C tractors, and have had a few neighbours back home with larger ones that werent too too bad.

As for trucks, since the 6 liter fiasco, i personally will be a little cautious about buying a new or used first year vehicle from ford. Especially new, ford didnt handle their customers the best over that ordeal, and its enough to shy me away from the first year models.

I dont really know how many brand new trucks i intend to get anyways. With the economy of them seeming to get worse and worse, it doesnt seem to be worth it to blow that kinda cash on one.

Quick Reply: Best diesel truck combo out there?