WVO collecting

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 PM
luvemhot
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO collecting

I am going to go and start looking for some source's and and wanting to know what type question to ask? If I go through around 150 gallons dino diesel how much wvo would I need? I will be converting the truck to a veggiestrock system.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
Your mileage will be about the same as diesel - maybe a little less. When asking for oil, be upfront and honest. Tell them exactly what your plans are. Some restaurants won't have a clue what you are talking about. It helps to be eating there during a non-busy time, and then ask for the manager. DON'T suck it out of the grease dumpster! It's illegal no matter what the restaurant says. Once it goes into the dumpster, it is property of the rendering company. Be patient; it took me about 5 restaurants before I got a couple of sources. I'm going to seek another source this week as one of my sources has gone to changing their oil every other week. I normally collect 12-16 gallons a week from two places. Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by TchTchr
DON'T suck it out of the grease dumpster! It's illegal no matter what the restaurant says. Once it goes into the dumpster, it is property of the rendering company.
Not to be argumentative, but that's not entirely true. Many restaurants own their grease reservoirs and contract to have them emptied. And they can have whoever they want take it out. Now certainly, if they contracted with a grease company, and that company is leaving the barrels out or owns the reservoir, then yes, the grease belongs to the collecting company. Just ask the restaurant.

As far as how much WVO you'll need to get, it really depends upon the reaction process. I've seen some get only 85-90% yield, but a good processor can get close to 1 to 1. You're pulling glycerin out, but you're also adding methane in.

TX

Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
Not to be argumentative, but that's not entirely true. Many restaurants own their grease reservoirs and contract to have them emptied. And they can have whoever they want take it out. Now certainly, if they contracted with a grease company, and that company is leaving the barrels out or owns the reservoir, then yes, the grease belongs to the collecting company. Just ask the restaurant.
TX
I learn something new everyday. Some days it just comes easier than others. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by luvemhot
I am going to go and start looking for some source's and and wanting to know what type question to ask? If I go through around 150 gallons dino diesel how much wvo would I need? I will be converting the truck to a veggiestrock system.
I think ya'll are confusing BioDiesel with his planned WVO two tank system...or at least that is what I'm reading when he said he was going to convert the truck to a Veggiestroke system.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
luvemhot
More Turbo
yep I am going to use the two tank heated svo. Collecting would be the same right?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by luvemhot
yep I am going to use the two tank heated svo. Collecting would be the same right?

My bad on the processing comment. I forgot in your original post that you'll be a straight VO'er, not bioD.

I'll let the SVO'ers comment on mileage of SVO versus dino D. Offhand I'd say it's pretty close, so you'd need roughly the same, perhaps a little more after filtering, of WVO to match the amount of dino D you currently use.

TX

Old 05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
Your mileage for veg will be slightly less than diesel. I don't know about the truck - it has a 60 gallon tank; therefore, making calculating mileage a bit tough. I know the Mercedes (15 gallon tank) gets about a 1/2 mile less on veg.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
luvemhot
More Turbo
thanks for all the help, I was mostly looking for how much loss from filtering. and about how much can be collected from an average dinner.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:28 AM
mps1ualberta
New User
A great way I have found that works is find a large user of veg and supply them with a 55 gallon drum fitted with a EZ-Strainers™ - US Plastic Corporation . I then ask them to dump there veg into the barrel and i pick it up every 2 weeks. They seem to like it cause it's easier that keeping cubies around, and its great for me because when i come pick it up i dont have to deal with the plastic and cardboard from the cubies and the oil has most of the larger particles removed.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
luvemhot
More Turbo
Thanks for all your help everyone

Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 AM
BRAVOZULU9
New User
Looking for a kit for my 06 PSD 6.0 liter. I've heard though that its a bad idea with this engine???

Thoughts anyone?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
I’ve been looking into doing bio or WVO myself. As others have stated finding a source was the hardest part and the most important. I struck out at most of the restaurants before having a AH moment. I suddenly remembered many, many moons ago when I was in high school I worked in a grocery store and our deli would go through tons of oil. Its one of those places few think of, but well worth checking into. It paid off for me. Now I just need to get all the other stuff put together.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:59 PM
stevorino
Senior User
i just secured my second source today. I went and ate a little local place several times and told them what I was doing. I even offered to pay and they ended up giving me whatever they have. It will be about 30 gal/month. Not bad for a place around the corner from work.